It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2006, 07:55 PM   #1
(female)

tamara29 HB User
Chronic otitis externa, no ear wax and a CT scan of sinuses

I saw the ENT today. He said that I have chronic otitis externa and no ear wax. He suctioned my ears to get rid of some of the drainage that was in there. I can actually hear again.

He gave me a lot of information, but one thing I'm wondering is if the drainage will come back? Also, he prescribed ear drops, Cortisporin Otic. When my DH put it in my ears, I kept my head tilted for a while. When I straightened it back out, some of the medicine ran out. Is this normal? What can I do to get it to stay in? He told me not to put anything in my ears at all, so I can't even use a cotton ball to keep it in there.

I didn't ask, but does anyone know what causes a person not to produce ear wax? Is it because of the infection or is it caused by something else? Will I ever produce ear wax?

He looked up my nose because I have had several sinus infections in the last year. He said I needed a CT scan of my sinuses. Does this mean he saw something that warrants a scan or is it a normal procedure for anyone who has had sinus trouble?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-20-2006, 08:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Chronic otitis externa, no ear wax and a CT scan of sinuses

Tamara29,

"He gave me a lot of information, but one thing I'm wondering is if the drainage will come back?" It is possible that the ear fluid will come back. But the ENT should be able to give you medications to help fix this.

"Also, he prescribed ear drops, Cortisporin Otic. When my DH put it in my ears, I kept my head tilted for a while. When I straightened it back out, some of the medicine ran out. Is this normal? What can I do to get it to stay in? He told me not to put anything in my ears at all, so I can't even use a cotton ball to keep it in there." Yes it is normal for the ear drops to drain out of the ear... they are fluid after all. The medicine is contact based, just leave it in the desired duration. If you need to clean out your ears look into swimmear treatment (50:50 isopropanol and vinegar) which can be used to rinse out the ear and not leave any residue for infection.

"I didn't ask, but does anyone know what causes a person not to produce ear wax? Is it because of the infection or is it caused by something else? Will I ever produce ear wax?"

I do not know the mechanism involved, sorry; but I would think it would be immunological in origin, much like mucus production.

"He looked up my nose because I have had several sinus infections in the last year. He said I needed a CT scan of my sinuses. Does this mean he saw something that warrants a scan or is it a normal procedure for anyone who has had sinus trouble."

Ct Scans do not hurt and are standard operating procedure. It will allow for the ENT to be sure that there is not a structural defect causing the reoccuring sinus issues.

Thanks in advance.
Your welcome, hopefully this helps.

Sincerely,
MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2006, 09:00 AM   #3
(male)

hp8 HB User
Re: Chronic otitis externa, no ear wax and a CT scan of sinuses

Whats the procedure to suction your ears to remove the fluid. Do he make an incision in your ear drum or anything?

Closed Thread