It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2006, 11:49 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

comeonnow HB User
Sinus infection?

I don't even know if that's the right name. I go to a family practice center where there are several doctors. When I go in complaining of a sore throat and bad headache, the one says it's a sinus infection and prescribes an antibiotic. Another time when I get sick (it does really make me feel lousy, this head thing) and go in, I might get someone else and he'll say, "Oh, it's not something that you can treat with antibiotics and will prescribe a nose spray." I get many of these sinus things, whatever you want to call them, and last year from October to April had 9 of them. After I'm done with an antibiotic, I only feel well for about a week and then it's right back to the same old thing. I'm so sick and tired of this. I even bought a sinus irrigation machine (which I guess is basically what you all describe here as your upside down method); the liquid goes in one nostril and comes out the other...well, it hasn't even made a difference at all, so that was $100 wasted. Up until about 7 or 8 years ago, I hadn't ever gotten any of these sicknesses, but now I can always count on getting at least half a dozen every fall and winter. I don't understand why I get them then. I know I'm allergic to dust mites, but they're in the house all the time, not just in the fall and winter. You'd think that I'd get them in the spring and summer too because I'm outside a lot and found out that I'm allergic to grass and various types of weeds and trees. Maybe I should be glad I'm only sick half a year instead of the entire year. I have asthma, so I don't know if that has anything to do with me getting these things or not. When I have one, I know it right away. I just feel BLAH and my throat hurts (actually what you would refer to as swollen glands, I guess, because it's off to the side a little on either side of my throat) and my whole head hurts, front and back. It hurts above my eyes, belows my eyes, at my temples, in the back, basically just mostly all over really. I kind of feel like you'd feel if you have a fever but I don't ever have one. I just feel run down and wanting to stay in bed all day because of feeling so bad. It makes me almost want to sleep from October to March or April and not even go anywhere. I feel absolutely miserable and have one of them right now. My husband lost his job, so we don't have any healthcare coverage at all. I have one right now and am just putting up with it because I can't afford to go to the doctor. I'm beginning to feel like there's no hope for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2006, 06:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User
Re: Sinus infection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonnow
I don't even know if that's the right name. I go to a family practice center where there are several doctors. When I go in complaining of a sore throat and bad headache, the one says it's a sinus infection and prescribes an antibiotic. Another time when I get sick (it does really make me feel lousy, this head thing) and go in, I might get someone else and he'll say, "Oh, it's not something that you can treat with antibiotics and will prescribe a nose spray." I get many of these sinus things, whatever you want to call them, and last year from October to April had 9 of them. After I'm done with an antibiotic, I only feel well for about a week and then it's right back to the same old thing. I'm so sick and tired of this. I even bought a sinus irrigation machine (which I guess is basically what you all describe here as your upside down method); the liquid goes in one nostril and comes out the other...well, it hasn't even made a difference at all, so that was $100 wasted. Up until about 7 or 8 years ago, I hadn't ever gotten any of these sicknesses, but now I can always count on getting at least half a dozen every fall and winter. I don't understand why I get them then. I know I'm allergic to dust mites, but they're in the house all the time, not just in the fall and winter. You'd think that I'd get them in the spring and summer too because I'm outside a lot and found out that I'm allergic to grass and various types of weeds and trees. Maybe I should be glad I'm only sick half a year instead of the entire year. I have asthma, so I don't know if that has anything to do with me getting these things or not. When I have one, I know it right away. I just feel BLAH and my throat hurts (actually what you would refer to as swollen glands, I guess, because it's off to the side a little on either side of my throat) and my whole head hurts, front and back. It hurts above my eyes, belows my eyes, at my temples, in the back, basically just mostly all over really. I kind of feel like you'd feel if you have a fever but I don't ever have one. I just feel run down and wanting to stay in bed all day because of feeling so bad. It makes me almost want to sleep from October to March or April and not even go anywhere. I feel absolutely miserable and have one of them right now. My husband lost his job, so we don't have any healthcare coverage at all. I have one right now and am just putting up with it because I can't afford to go to the doctor. I'm beginning to feel like there's no hope for me.

Are you taking an antihistimine? If not, try taking one daily. You can get Claritin over-the-counter, and it's relatively inexpensive (especially if you purchase the store brand).

Old 10-22-2006, 01:12 PM   #3
(female)

Mora HB User

See if there is an alergist at the center...do not go back to the general practitioner, they have offered you little relief with what they prescribe you. **** luck.

Old 10-23-2006, 09:08 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

comeonnow HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLSheridan
Are you taking an antihistimine? If not, try taking one daily. You can get Claritin over-the-counter, and it's relatively inexpensive (especially if you purchase the store brand).
Yes, I've been taking Clarinex once a day, and have also been using Nasonex nose spray. I just started taking them 2 weeks ago. Maybe it takes longer than that for them to take effect?

Old 10-23-2006, 09:11 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

comeonnow HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mora
See if there is an alergist at the center...do not go back to the general practitioner, they have offered you little relief with what they prescribe you. **** luck.
This is a rural area and I know that there wouldn't specifically be an allergist at the free clinic. It just has one or two doctors who are retired and volunteer their time there several days a week. My husband has been there already and didn't think too much of the place, so I guess that's not the answer for me. Of course, it wouldn't hurt to go there and find out. At the worst, they wouldn't be able to help me either.

Old 10-24-2006, 05:30 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

My son gets the same thing around this time of year he is very allergic to environmental things ex: tree pollen , ragweed, mold etc. But both Dr's are right you have these allergies that progress into a sinus infection because of the constant mucus that no matter what drips down the back of your throat . I tend to get them as well always this time of year. My son is seeing an allergist and gets weekly shots that seems to help a bit he much less sinusy this year. But he also takes allergy meds prescribe by allergy doc singulair for asthma and allergies I know you said you don't have insurance at the moment but there are lots of programs out there that assist people in buying their meds if you can get a presciption than research these programs you'll be set but I think perhaps find an allergist in the city closest to you.

Last edited by Liamsmom; 10-24-2006 at 05:34 AM.

Old 11-02-2006, 03:01 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

comeonnow HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamsmom
My son gets the same thing around this time of year he is very allergic to environmental things ex: tree pollen , ragweed, mold etc. But both Dr's are right you have these allergies that progress into a sinus infection because of the constant mucus that no matter what drips down the back of your throat . I tend to get them as well always this time of year. My son is seeing an allergist and gets weekly shots that seems to help a bit he much less sinusy this year. But he also takes allergy meds prescribe by allergy doc singulair for asthma and allergies I know you said you don't have insurance at the moment but there are lots of programs out there that assist people in buying their meds if you can get a presciption than research these programs you'll be set but I think perhaps find an allergist in the city closest to you.
I had gotten tested several times in the past for allergies and nothing ever came of it anyway even when we had insurance because we couldn't afford the allergy shots then. My doctor doesn't seem to think much of them and doesn't see much improvement in his patients who do get them, but of course there are some people that they help. I don't use Singulair. Is that different from other inhalers? I use Pulmicort as a maintence inhaler and Albuterol (generic of Alupent) as an emergency inhaler. I use Nasonex nose spray and take Clarinex every day. I forgot to mention that I know about the available programs. I wouldn't be able to get my medicines without them. Thank goodness there's help out there for people like me and my husband who missed the boat in life and seem to be stuck in a state of indigence.

Yes, I hate that dripping down the back of my throat. I don't know which makes me more miserable, the sore throat, bad headache or feeling run down and even feverish sometimes. In a way I'm glad I don't have a job right now because I wouldn't feel like getting up for work. I almost feel like I have to have a job that's only half the year because I'm sick the rest of the year.

Old 11-02-2006, 05:32 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Comeon, I'll answer a few things on this thread too. Allergies make you feel horrible. You said that your dust mite allergy should be the same all year around. Many people on this site agree that dust mites are worse in the fall and winter. I think that it is because the air conditioner is turned off in the fall. The air keeps the humidity low and dust mites can't survive below I think 50%. Also in the winter you wear more clothes and use more blankets where the dust mites live.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:01 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

So from what I gather you were tested for allergies in the past? And you have quite a few? It seems counter-intuitive, but I also find my allergies are worse in the fall. First, if you are allergic to ragweed and molds, they are fall allergies. Espeically the molds which like to grow under fallen leaves. Like Sannah said, dustmites get worse in the fall/winter too. Spring allergies come and go quickly, everything releases pollen about the same time, you have a few weeks of misery, but then it's done. Fall and Winter, your house is closed up and the allergies build up, and it gets worse as time goes by.

It sounds like you have a continuous cycle of your allergies causing a sinus infection. When you are miserable it can be hard to tell the difference between them, which is why you seem to get different diagnosis from the doctors. The best thing is for you to prevent the allergies in the first place. Use the sinus irrigator. I know it didn't seem to help, but use it before you use the Nasonex. My allergist told me using a steroid nosespray without irrigating first is like putting oil on water. The spray will just sit on the mucus and never reach the nasal tissue where it needs to go to work. After a week, I think you will find the spray working better.

Second, ask about a different antihistamine, Clartin and Clarinex don't work well for some people. Allegra and Zyrtec offer some people much more relief.
If you are allergic to dustmites, get the dustmite proof covers for your mattress and pillows. Wash your sheets once a week in hot water, and the other bedding every other week. Go to Home Depot/Lowes and get a 3M or Dupont high effieciency furnace filter. This will help remove allergens from inside your house. And if you can, buy a HEPA air cleaner for your bedroom.

Closed Thread