It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2006, 06:57 PM   #1
(female)

bek262 HB User
Dizziness - sinus related??

Hi
This is my first post on this forum, I hope that you guys can help me out.

I have had face pressure and been off balance for a week. My eyes feel very tired no matter how much sleep I have had too. I have a headache most days - from my neck and above my eyes. My throat is dry all day and it sort of feels like I have a hangover?

Is this sinus related? does sinus infections etc cause dizziness?

Some times I get bad spells where I am very dizzy/giddy and sometimes my face goes red on my cheeks and take ages for me to feel cool again.

I also hae anxiety - so when ever I go to the doctors that is what he says it is? Most of my friend and family are suffering with some kind of sinus trouble now, but none of them seem to experience the off balance feeling?

any tips or posts from people that have experienced the same might help me out.

Old 10-26-2006, 05:44 PM   #2
(female)

Overcash HB User
Re: Dizziness - sinus related??

Yes, I have a lot of sinus trouble and I get dizzy spells. One time I went to a clinic to get some pills and I was really dizzy and headachy they thought I was having a stroke so they told me to go to the emergency room of the hospital. When they told me that I almost did have a stoke Ha!. Anyway I went and it was just my sinuses like I thought. The doctor told me my dizziness was caused by fluid in my ear and sometimes my face gets flushed because I have a fever fighting the infection. My sinuses are bothering me now, It is raining out and whenever it rains my sinuses really act up. I hope this has helped you.

Overcash

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2006, 07:49 AM   #3
(female)

Kezzalou HB User

Hi

I have also been getting dizziness and wondered if this was to do with sinus! My eyes are tired and it is painful to press around my face. My ears have been painful too.

I've suffered with these symptoms for about 2 months. I was in hospital for an operation and since then have not felt right. My vision has also gone a bit weird as straight lines look a bit wavy out of the corner of my eye!

I was also told my symptoms could be from anxiety!

Old 11-27-2006, 08:18 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Sinus pressure, do to a full blown sinus infection can cause pressure on various facial nerves and the eyes affecting many things.

1) Pressure from the maxillary and frontal sinuses can effect the nerves about the eyes and result in visual acuity loss.. this seems like you are trying to look out of your car front windshield with rain running over it.

2) Pressure from infected maxillaries can cause you jaw, teeth and mouth to hurt... tonsils to swell and lymph nodes in the throat and neck to swell.

3) Infected ethnoid and back sinus will make the sinus infection extremely long lived.. and induce intense headaches and many raised lymph nodes behind your ears.

4) Overall sinus headaches are an indication of sinus pressure do to trapped mucus. Sinus infections are characterized by low grade fevers (100.4) lasting longer that 7 days, yellow green mucus discharge down the back of your throat, and facial sensitivity to pressure.

5) The inner ear system is linked to the sinus cavities for drainage purposes, the ears drain into the sinus cavities. Thus a sinus infection if untreated can build into ear infection. Also ear pressure and fluid, resulting in dizziness (very common side effect) is the result ot the normally produced ear fluid having no where to go becasue the sinuses are packed.

SO go to your GP and make them get a CT which will show all of your sinuses and the state of any infections.. while an x-ray only shows the maxillary and frontal sinuses. If you have an ENT that you use regularly.. go to him/her. They are specialized in ENT problems.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 11-27-2006, 08:49 AM   #5
(female)

Kezzalou HB User

Thanks for the info!

I've had an MRI scan done recently for this problem and they said it was okay. Do you know if sinus problems show up on this kind of scan?

Old 11-27-2006, 11:11 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Kezzalou,

Normally, you want to have both an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) and CT (variation on flat panel x-ray imaging technology) scan done.

The CT allows for the determination of chronic sinusitus.. the ENT would be able to see if you have had on going sinus trouble due to degradation of the nasal cavitiy bones in your sinuses. The MRI would show if you had an active sinus infection.. but not if you have had a million previous infections. The MRI would not be able to significantly show fluid present in the sinuses.. only infected fluid. MRI's are great for determining structural anomolies of the sinuses, that need to be fixed. So structurally you may be okay, and still have lingering fluid packing your sinuses.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 11-30-2006, 04:56 PM   #7
(male)

dreddk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezzalou
Thanks for the info!

I've had an MRI scan done recently for this problem and they said it was okay. Do you know if sinus problems show up on this kind of scan?

Hi,
No you need a CT Scan to show sinusitis. I have experienced ear pressure, sinus pain and an unsteady feeling for four months. Advice from the doctor is that a virus probibly affected my balance and it just takes time for the brain to compensate. My CT scan showed a sinus infection.

Old 12-01-2006, 06:39 AM   #8
(female)

Kezzalou HB User

Thanks everyone for the advice, I'll ask for a CT scan next then!

Feel like the dizziness is never gonna go away !

Old 01-08-2007, 07:49 AM   #9
(male)

Willy B HB User

Thanks for your post. It was informative. I have been diagnosed with Chronic Sinus infection and taking Augmeentin for two weeks but still not 100%.

Dizzy, tired and disoriented. Sound like side effects of the infection to you?

Also quit smoking (heavy) 3 months ago after 25 years.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:59 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Willy B,

Definte possiblity. Most ENT give a minimum of 21-28 days of anti-biotics. Why? Well sinus infections are dark cavity infections and anti-biotic exposure is minimized do to minimal blood flow in the sinus regions. You need to call your MD and get them to prescribe an additional 14 days of your anti-biotic. If you are not completely well, the bacterial infection will come back stronger than before and be resistant to augmenten. Be sure you kill it the first time. As long as the sinus pressure is high and the drainage if flowing keep up the anti-biotics.

Best of luck.
MG

Old 01-15-2007, 06:12 AM   #11
(male)

S281ER238 HB User

I Have The Same Symptom All Of The Sudden Out Of The Blue I Will Get Dizzy If I Tilt My Head Down Or Up And Facial Pressure And Will Get Stiff Neck It Will Last For 1 And Then Go Away My Blood Presure Is Normal And I Want To Know If Irs Due To Sinus Attack

Old 03-22-2007, 12:42 PM   #12
(female)

BumpkinPumpkin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcash View Post
Yes, I have a lot of sinus trouble and I get dizzy spells. One time I went to a clinic to get some pills and I was really dizzy and headachy they thought I was having a stroke so they told me to go to the emergency room of the hospital. When they told me that I almost did have a stoke Ha!. Anyway I went and it was just my sinuses like I thought. The doctor told me my dizziness was caused by fluid in my ear and sometimes my face gets flushed because I have a fever fighting the infection. My sinuses are bothering me now, It is raining out and whenever it rains my sinuses really act up. I hope this has helped you.

Overcash
How did your Dr. check for the fluid in your ears, did he/she just look, or did they do some other test? I have pressure in one ear, have the ringing, headache from time to time but the ENT saw no fluid. Now I am thinking something very serious is going on. How likely is it that something really serious is going on with these symptoms? I don't know who else to go to.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:42 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

chikkie14 HB User

I also have most of your symptoms.. but I somehow feel like mine is worse... do you guys also feel so lethargic? like having trouble comprehending? and so weak.. can barely raise my hands. I feel so drowsy all the time like I am about to drop at any moment... my eyes constantly feels so tired.. like what you feel after crying? and it sso puffy... and i feel like there is a nerve on the right side of my head down to my neck and throat that hurts...

Old 03-27-2007, 05:53 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey All.

BumpkinPumpkin,
Okay, to check for fluid you are sent to the associated audiologist in or referred to by the ENT's office. The Audiologist performs a tempanogram and hearing test. They can determine if it is retained fluid or just hearing loss. The tempanogram does not hurt. A sonic ear device.. looking much like the ear thermometers is placed snugly in the outer ear canal and then sound waves are released.. bouncing of the ear drum. If you get a nice peak you are good, fluid free. If it is flat you have ear fluid.

MG

chikkie14, I also have most of your symptoms.. but I somehow feel like mine is worse... do you guys also feel so lethargic? like having trouble comprehending? and so weak.. can barely raise my hands. I feel so drowsy all the time like I am about to drop at any moment... my eyes constantly feels so tired.. like what you feel after crying? and it sso puffy... and i feel like there is a nerve on the right side of my head down to my neck and throat that hurts...

This sounds alot like allergies/hay fever with the symptoms resulting in eye irritation and inflamation and excessive drainage causing throat irritation. Allergies will also cause all sorts of lymph nodes to swell about you head and make you miserable. The tiredness may be do to a sleep condition.. the tiredness description makes you a possible sleep apnea candidate.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 04-03-2007, 01:07 PM   #15
(male)

Spoonybard HB User

Hi Everyone,

Sounds like I am not the only one having sinus and dizziness problems. To conserve space in this forum post, if you get a chance, can you check out my recent post? Maybe someone can give some insight that can help all of us.

Thanks!

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=486986[/url]

Closed Thread