Will try to keep this as short as possible! Brief history...10 month old daughter, has been sick on and off for the past 3 months, I work full time so she is in daycare. Started with a cough, runny nose which got a bit better than got worse again-with wheezing. Doc felt she had bronchiolitis, was put on a nebulizer and kept her home for a few days, seemed to get better again than the wheezing got worse, took her to the hospital and was kept overnight. Was diagnosed with Reactive Airway Disease. Continued breathing treatments but still has cough. doc put her on an antibiotic, said she could have a sinus infection, meds did not help. Recent visit with a pulmanologist-feels she has asthma. In any case, the wheezing at this point is ok but she still has this deep cough and her nose is still runny. Could this be one stubborn sinus infection? I've been keeping a vaporizer on in her room, using nose drops and sucking out the snot. She has no known allergies, appetite is great, no fevers, no watery eyes. She also has a slight case of acid reflux and has been on Zantac since she was 4 months old, it normally does not bother her too much. Asthma and allergies do run in the family. Have any of your little ones had any of thes symptoms and what was it that finally worked for you? Thanks!!
Wow! I think from what you've said you're perhaps wanting a diagnosis or second opinion. Maybe you should see another doctor to get that second opinion? I'm not sure people on this board are able to help in such a medical and specific way.
The only thing I can suggest is seeing if the asthma medication is making any difference in her breathing. Also, can you identify times when she is not symptomatic... establish what is she doing differently and try to replicate it.
With infants its really a process of elimination sometimes since they can't tell you what is wrong.
Wow, you little girl is going through almost exactly what my little boy is. We know that he has chronic lung disease due to being on a high frequency ventilator when he was 6 weeks old. He is having the same thing, we thought sinus too, but after a couple of weeks of "waiting out the virus" per our pediatrician, it crawled down into his lungs. The nebulizer is working wonders. If you are unsure, I would go for a second opinion. That was kind of my purpose for taking him to the ER Sunday night, besides his symptoms being so much worse. I knew that if I waited until the next day to take him to the pediatrician, I would get the whole "wait out the virus" speech, that is going to cause me to slug someone the next time I hear. If this is a virus, it has been hanging on for 6 weeks. That is way too long for me to wait.