It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2007, 07:52 PM   #16
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
Re: Sinus infection vs. migraine

Lucky427,

I contacted a doctor one morning about my eyes because I was freaking out, and they told me that I would be feeling different and very noticeable symptoms if I was suffering anything serious. Also, I seriously have no idea if my eyes have always been that way or not - I just happened to notice it after reading something about a serious condition characterized by severely uneven pupils. I don't know if one pupil gets larger or the other gets smaller - from what I have read, different sized pupils can be a symptom of migraines. I've never paid much attention to my pupils, so for all I know I was born like that.

I'm not experiencing any vision problems, weakness, and so forth. I know my doctor told me I should get an MRI if the caffeine abstinence did nothing, but I probably will not be able to get it done until I go home again, which will be in a little less than three months. I almost don't want to get an MRI because I worry it is something serious at times. In any case, I'll update if/when I get the test done.

Old 01-21-2007, 02:32 PM   #17
(female)

sherrimp HB User

About 10 years ago I noticed my pupils were uneven, very noticable. Dr. had me get CT nothing showed up. I have noticed different meds will make it worse. When my sinuses are bothering me it happens. I was on zoloft once, it caused my pupils to do it all the time. I know I should get to the bottom of it
but I feel like if it was something really seroius, I would know after all these years.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2007, 05:04 PM   #18
(male)

lucky427 HB User

Different pupil size could be genetic and completely harmless. It could also be due to a number of other not so benign causes. Uneven pupils could indicate compression of the optic nerve.

Im curious as to what "other" symptoms they told you could have or that you should look at for. Considering that you have had sever headaches for a while that seems like a significant symptom to me. Did they tell you this over the phone? Did anyone even examine you? I think it would be prudent to at least have a neurologist check you out much sooner than 3 months. Its probably nothing but Im sure i think its smart to at least to talk to a neuro. It sounds like your dr did recommend an mri, too. You should know already that cutting caffeine did not work - it doesnt take too long for caffeine to leave the system.

best of luck to you - i hope the pain goes away soon.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:58 PM   #19
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

Lucky427,

Both my doctor and two ER doctors I spoke to told me that I would be feeling symptoms like nausea, dizziness, vision loss, fainting, memory problems, numbness or weakness in one side, loss of coordination, or personality changes if whatever is ailing my head was anything threatening or concerning. I told my doctor all my current symptoms over the phone and she told me I sounded like I had migraines or cluster headaches without examining me. I don't know if she wanted me to get an MRI when I go back home or to speak to a neurologist where I live (I go to school in a city 500 miles from home). I may call her tomorrow or Wednesday and just talk to her to see what to do from here now that I've seen caffeine abstinence has made no difference.

I do not know if the pupil size difference is genetic - I realize it could be due to a weakened muscle in one eye, I realize it could be due to migraines, and I realize it could be harmless or just the way the light happened to be hitting my eye when I looked at them. I can't imagine that my pupils would change in size like that every day - half the time when I look at my eyes in the mirror, they look fine. The other half the right one looks larger. I just looked at my eyes about an hour ago and they were normal.

I also notice when I push firmly in one particular spot on the right side of my head, I feel soreness. It feels like I've bumped my head, only I haven't. It doesn't hurt when I don't push down on it. I don't know if this is a symptom of tension headaches or migraines or whatever is ailing me, but I'll find out from my doctor back home when I speak to her again.

Anyway, thank you all for the replies. I will update further when I speak to my doctor or if I speak to a neurologist.

Old 01-29-2007, 03:57 AM   #20
(male)

tamadrummer HB User

Cluster headache will not show up on an MRI or a CT or in any other diagnostic exam. You display the classic and I mean very classic symptoms of cluster headache symptoms.

There is little that can be done for you durring the cluster period other than to see if you can get someone to hook you up to pure oxygen for a good while to get the headache to go away and get started on a regemin of preventitives with an abortive which sadly for those of us with cluster is limited to zomig and imitrex but happliy Imitrex works great for me.

(You need the injection to you can get it when it starts and it is not cheap!)

I wad diagnosed for 2 months with a sinus infection before I was sent to the neuro and told that I don't have a sinus infection. If you smoke, QUIT, that only makes this worse as do all narcotic meds. NASIDS help and if you go to the ER for treatment, O2 and Toradol work best because with cluster headache one is a nasid and the other is just oxygen and it really works well for cluster. They may also give you sumatriptan if you mention diagnosis of cluster migraine as well as oxygen, it just depends on the ER doc and how up to snuff on headaches he/she is.

They will most likly try to give you Demerol or another narc med for pain, don't let them if you are truly a cluster migraine sufferer, it will hurt you worse.

Good luck
Brian

Last edited by tamadrummer; 01-30-2007 at 02:54 AM. Reason: my grammer is horrible

Old 01-29-2007, 04:33 PM   #21
(male)

lucky427 HB User

Dark -

sounds like you've found a trigger point (from your description it seems like your temporalis muscle).

While as I have I said (and it seems like you are doing) I definitely being cautious about checking for other symptoms, I am of the firm belief that most non-aura chronic headaches are caused by trigger points. I really urge you to check it out as it could likely be a CURE for your pain. It just requires you to put a little amount of time into understanding and fixing them. I just tried to look for the book you mentioned online and I couldnt find it. i really recommend the Clair Davies book. But if your more adventurous you could try the Travell and Simons textbook.

Ive written about trigger points a number of times on this site, and it seems that people have not been able to or willing to explore them. I promise that it is not that complicated and you do know quite quickly if they are causing the problem. If you (or someone else) is having trouble figuring out how to get rid of them (or if you have them) please please ask me questions.

A number of researchers in the field (university affiliated doctors) have estimated that 90% of chronic headaches are caused by trigger points/myofascial pain. The problem is that while I have not seen any literature challenging the concept most doctors and neurologists do not really understand the subject (though they have likely heard of the concept). Fortunately, it is gaining a lot of traction in a number of different specialities and more and more physicians are beginning to write and lecture on it.

Anyway, let me know if you have questions.

Old 02-17-2007, 03:23 AM   #22
(female)

monalisa3 HB User

Hi everyone,

Lucky, I sat up and noticed when I accidently fumbled my way into this forum. Your talk on trigger points grabbed my attention. I have been suffering from myofascial regional pain for a year and a half now and with tension and migraines headaches, also with sinus infections and inflammation for years now. I bought the Clair Davies tigger point manual a couple of months ago and read it thoroughly. i have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia by new reumatologist 2 weeks ago. I believe I have myofascial regional pain on my left side and fibomyalgia. I have tried working on my own trigger points, as I am plagued with them and strongly believe a lot of my pain is the result of trigger points. I haven't had much success at getting rid of them. They seem to be very stubborn. What am I doing wrong. Any advice would be appreciated. P.s. Had a horrid left sided migraine today. Massaged my neck trigger points and those at base of skull and it seemed to alleviate the intensity of the pain slightly. Please help!

Old 02-17-2007, 12:24 PM   #23
(female)

Diane817 HB User

My migraines usually start by my being cold. Then my neck starts hurting. I get stabbing pains on either the right or left side of my head. My nose does get stuffed up but only on the side of the migraine. I get nauseous, sensitive to light, sound and smells. I need a dark quiet room to lay down in. Sometimes I vomit, sometimes I don't. I sometimes have blurred vision but not always, it depends on how bad the migraine is. I have a migraine right now. It's not real bad yet and I am hoping it stays that way. I just took 5mg zomig and fioricet about 15 minutes ago and am about to take a hot shower for my neck and then use cold water on my head afterwards. If it stops I will be able to continue on with my day, if it doesn't I will take another dosage of the same as above. After that I am "you know what" out of luck. I am out of Demerol and I don't take more than 2 dosages of zomig. I sure wish you luck. I think you need to see a neurologist to rule out migraines. Sounds like sinus to me but I am no expert on sinuses. Take care and feel better.
Diane

Old 02-17-2007, 12:30 PM   #24
(female)

Diane817 HB User

I also have tried the trigger points. No luck. I don't know about everyone else but for me.. I have tried everything I can think of and things that anyone would suggest. Anything to get rid of the pain. I doesn't matter at the time of the migraine..just so it's goes away. I've even considered going illegal at times. Though I don't want to do that. By illegal I mean smoking pot. I've heard it can help but I don't want to really go there....Yet!...Maybe I'm nuts and should do it anyway. I don't know Right now with this migraine I just might if I had some. Or not. Drives me nuts trying to figure this pain out and trying to come up with anything to stop it. I am sick to death of pills pills pills. But who isn't in our situation huh? Take care. Diane

Closed Thread