It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2007, 08:02 AM   #1
(female)

croppingmom HB User
Sinus Infection, ear pain, and headaches

It has been about a month ago when I was putting on my make-up and realized that it was tender under my eyes. Thought to myself thats not good need to watch that. Well it didn't hurt again after that. Started having occasional headaches, not my usual migraines though. Jump ahead to about two weeks ago my left ear started hurting not constant, just a shard pain and then gone along with this came sneezing. Finally this past Monday I decided to go to the dr because I just don't feel good but I don't feel bad. He did the usual exam, no areas on my face were tender, my ears were clear. He did xrays and said I had a pretty good sinus infection working. He gave me an antibiotic for 10days. Since I have started this I don't feel much better, if anything my head hurts worse now. I figure I will go back on Monday if I am not 100%. I would think a week on antibiotics I should feel a whole lot better. I am not coughing or sneezing nor am I congested. Just my head and ear.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:36 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Alagaesia HB User
Re: Sinus Infection, ear pain, and headaches

Antibiotics can mess up your system. When you're done with the antibiotics take a top quality probiotic to restore your digestive system.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2007, 01:34 PM   #3
(female)

croppingmom HB User

Went back to the dr today for the same ear pain and headache. I was told that I still had an sinus infection and was given 5 more days of antibiotics and a week of a steroid. I was told if I was not 100% better by the end of that he would refer me to an ENT and also to a CT of my sinus area. The pharmacist told me that I should be feeling almost completely better after the first dose of steriods. Hope this helps.

Old 03-21-2007, 05:09 PM   #4
(female)

croppingmom HB User
Question Re: Sinus Infection, ear pain, and headaches

I will be seeing an ENT next week because I have not had any relief. Are there any specific questions I should be asking at that appointment.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:28 AM   #5
(female)

croppingmom HB User

When I was at the ENT to say the least he was plain rude. First thing he does is look over my list of questions and meds I have taken since Dec and says nothing other than that is alot on antibiotics I would not have prescribed that much. Next he looked in my ears,throat and nose. He then felt my jaw as I was opening and closing it. Said I have TMJ and sent me for a CT of my sinuses (he does these on site). When I got back into the exam room he said I had no signs of having had a sinus infection in months, I had a bone spur but that is not the problem since I don't have any pain associated with it. I explained that on my xray my sinuses were whited out, he said "why did you not bring them with you" I told him his office did not say I needed them. He told me that my nasal cavity was swollen from allergies and that I need to get rid of the carpet in my house, any animals and start allergy shots. I would have the testing done across the parking in the ENT/Allergist office, which is part of his association. He also gave me nasinex. That was it he left the room and the nurse came in with paper work and a sample of the nose spray. I told her I had other questions and she said the dr with other patients. I told her I would wait. She got irritable walked away and told the doc in the next room I was waiting since I still had question. When he came back I asked about my snoring. He told me to talk to my dr about sleep test and that there were machines and surgery. I went back to my dr that afternoon not so happy with the ent. I don't mind if I have allergies but is there a less intense course to try before shots. I am trying singular and nasonex now. However my ear hurts again, have post nasal drip still and getting headaches again. Feel sinus pressure under my eyes. I think I will go see another ENT but not with that practice and take my x rays, and maybe an allergist also. Thanks for listening.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:02 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Try a different ENT.. and an asthma immunologist allergy clinic not associated with the poor bedside behavior ENT you met.. they are not all behinds.. I promise.

For allergies try claritin D, it is OTC. See if your GP will prescribe zrytec/zyrtec-D for you. If you prefer generic.. allegra has a new generic form.

Some allergies can be managed by anti-histamines alone and do not need to be control by shots.

I have had allergy shots and they helped greatly reducing my sensitivities, but I am still allergic to everything but Furry critters. For him to tell you to ditch the carpet and pets is a bit low. Your allergies may not be to such.. though carpet is rough on all allergic types. If you have animals, try making them all indoor or all outdoor. See if this helps you allergies.

Also if you have to go back to you know who ask if he is capable of performing a bilateral turboplasty. If he says no, find some one else.. he lacks the most recent skills and equipment. Go to an ENT that sees mainly children, They are upto date on the best and least invasive techniques.. also they tend to have good personalities.. other wise there would be a lot of screaming going on.

I think the allergist may be your best bet.

Look into using OTC Ponaris nasal oil. It will kill or ferret out the problem if it is a rarer fungal infection. Most phamacies have to order it.. they do not stock it readily. Ordering on-line might be the easiest course of action.

As to duration of anti-biotics.. depends on the infection. If it is impacted and effecting the ears as well it can take upto 2 months on anti-biotics to clear out. If enough is not given, then infection comes back stronger and resistant to the previously applied anti-biotic.

Best of luck to you and keep after them.

MG

Old 04-11-2007, 02:43 AM   #7
(male)

thfc2006 HB User

Quote:
Try a different ENT.. and an asthma immunologist allergy clinic not associated with the poor bedside behavior ENT you met.. they are not all behinds.. I promise.
I couldn't agree more.

75% of the ones I've seen have been unhelpful/rude or arrogant. But there are some excellent ones out there. So a 2nd opinion is vital if you don't feel comfortable with the advice you've been given.

Closed Thread