It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2007, 03:33 PM   #1
(male)

earsounds HB User
Arrow 24-7 Sinus pressure for 6 months, but NO sinus infection or allergy symptoms

I'm a 26 year old male and since October 2006 have been experiencing 24-7 sinus pressure in the upper corners of my nose (always one side at a time). This pressure NEVER goes away--it is either bad or worse.

I have NO allergy symptoms (i.e. no running nose, sneezing, coughing, itchy nose/eyes/throat, etc), and my CT scan came back perfectly normal with no structural abnormalities or sinus infection. In fact, I have never had a sinus infection in my life.

I have no idea what this is. The pressure is so bad that it presses back onto my brain, causing terrible lightheadedness, forgetfullness, and general mental impairment. I must emphasize that this pressure is ALWAYS there--I am becoming severly depressed and feel like I have run out of options.

I have tried Rhinocort, Nasarel and Flonase for many weeks with no improvement, and have tried Astelin nasal spray and Allegra with no effect.

Allergy testing was positive for certain types of weeds and dust mites, but I doubt this is allergies, as I have never in my life had allergies, and also because this sinus pressure is CONSTANTLY there regardless of whether I am possibly in the presence of allergens.

The symptoms appeared one day in October 2006. Before that day I had never had anything like this before in my life, not even for one day. Anyway, here's the history...

During October 2006, the day after attending a loud music concert, I developed ringing / tinnitus in my left ear and a strange feeling of pressure in the upper left corner of my nose. The pressure was constantly on the left side for the first six weeks. It was an annoyance, but it was relatively mild and there was little congestion. It felt like there was something inside my nose pressing outward. The left side of my face also felt numb and tense. There was also pressure behind my left eye, which made the eye feel numb as well.

About 8 weeks after the pressure started, it began to switch to the right side as well. I have no idea why it would start only on the left side for 6 weeks, then suddenly decide to switch to both sides. Also at this time I started having terrible congestion accompanying the pressure.

As of today, the pressure/congestion are always in one of three positions: completely on the left side, completely on the right, or completely in the back of the sinuses, where mucous drains into the throat. It is there 60% of the time on the left side, 30% on the right side, and 10% in the back sinuses. When it is in the back I have to constantly suck the mucous down into my throat, as it does not drain by itself and feels like there is a lump if I do not suck it down.

The only things that help are Afrin spray (works for about 20 hours, but has awful rebound congestion) and heavy exercise (the pressure clears up almost completely while my heart is beating fast).

I am thinking this could possibly be due to the Tinnitus--maybe the inner ear nerve/cilia damage somehow affected a nerve leading to the sinuses, causing the blood vessels to be constantly dilated and therefore chronically congested?

Or maybe it is due to my teeth moving (changing my bite and possibly pinching a nerve or something) after getting cavities filled a few weeks before the symptoms started? I have had mild TMJ symptoms (cracking/popping jaw about once a week, mild jaw stiffness) since the sinus symptoms started.

I really have no idea what to do at this point--I am pretty much entirely incapacitated by this--I have trouble finishing sentences, remembering words, focusing my eyes, and speaking. The tinnitus is annoying too, but only really bothers me when trying to sleep. The sinus pressure is definitely the far more serious problem for me.

I am going back to my third ENT in a couple weeks.

Anyone else out there have similar symptoms? Thanks!

Last edited by earsounds; 04-10-2007 at 03:45 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2007, 02:35 AM   #2
(male)

thfc2006 HB User
Re: 24-7 Sinus pressure for 6 months, but NO sinus infection or allergy symptoms

Hi Earsounds

Do antibiotics help at all?

My symptoms have been a little similar to yours, with a constant pressure on the left side of my nose for a few years now which has gradually got worse. Like you I've never really had any allergy symptoms and have found exercise is one of the few things to help alleviate it.

I had a CT scan last year which didn't show anything unusual but I eventually pressed for a second opinion and this revealed sinus blockage. An operation was then suggested (which I had 2 weeks ago).

Hopefully your 3rd ENT will have more of a clue than the first two did. Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:30 PM   #3
(male)

earsounds HB User
Re: 24-7 Sinus pressure for 6 months, but NO sinus infection or allergy symptoms

Hi thfc2006,

Hope your surgery goes well--I am considering surgery too. Is yours an inferior turbinate reduction surgery, or something else?

I was on antiobiotics for a few weeks when this first started for acne, and that didn't have any effect on the pressure. I'll ask the ENT if he would consider a second run of antiobiotics in case there is some type of infection the CT scan didn't show.

Is your pressure accompanied sometimes by a feeling of pressure or fullness in your left ear? Mine is, and I wonder if it has something to do with a condition called "patulous eustation tube" i.e. eustation tube dysfunction. This is a condition where the eustation tube doesn't close properly, and I believe can result in strange sinus symptoms.

During the past two months my pressure has gotten so bad that I pretty much can't function anymore. I've stopped working until I bring this condition under control.

Good luck with everything, and definitely write back if you find something that helps you--I'll do the same.

Last edited by earsounds; 04-11-2007 at 08:32 PM.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:22 AM   #4
(male)

thfc2006 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by earsounds View Post
Hope your surgery goes well--I am considering surgery too. Is yours an inferior turbinate reduction surgery, or something else?
Its was Endoscopic Sinus Surgery, which involves unblocking the drainage channels in the sinuses and removing some polyps. Also had my septum re-aligned for the second time.

Quote:
Is your pressure accompanied sometimes by a feeling of pressure or fullness in your left ear? Mine is, and I wonder if it has something to do with a condition called "patulous eustation tube" i.e. eustation tube dysfunction. This is a condition where the eustation tube doesn't close properly, and I believe can result in strange sinus symptoms.
I do have occasional "ear-popping" with my left ear but its only minor so doesn't sound like its the same thing you've been experiencing.

Quote:
During the past two months my pressure has gotten so bad that I pretty much can't function anymore. I've stopped working until I bring this condition under control.
Well I can only wish you luck as I know how hard it can be trying to function in a job when you feel like that. Hopefully now you can concentrate your efforts on finding a solution.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:43 PM   #5
(female)

smurf163 HB User

Quote:
I'm a 26 year old male and since October 2006 have been experiencing 24-7 sinus pressure in the upper corners of my nose (always one side at a time). This pressure NEVER goes away--it is either bad or worse.

I have NO allergy symptoms (i.e. no running nose, sneezing, coughing, itchy nose/eyes/throat, etc), and my CT scan came back perfectly normal with no structural abnormalities or sinus infection. In fact, I have never had a sinus infection in my life.

I have no idea what this is. The pressure is so bad that it presses back onto my brain, causing terrible lightheadedness, forgetfullness, and general mental impairment. I must emphasize that this pressure is ALWAYS there--I am becoming severly depressed and feel like I have run out of options.

I have tried Rhinocort, Nasarel and Flonase for many weeks with no improvement, and have tried Astelin nasal spray and Allegra with no effect.

Allergy testing was positive for certain types of weeds and dust mites, but I doubt this is allergies, as I have never in my life had allergies, and also because this sinus pressure is CONSTANTLY there regardless of whether I am possibly in the presence of allergens.

The symptoms appeared one day in October 2006. Before that day I had never had anything like this before in my life, not even for one day. Anyway, here's the history...

During October 2006, the day after attending a loud music concert, I developed ringing / tinnitus in my left ear and a strange feeling of pressure in the upper left corner of my nose. The pressure was constantly on the left side for the first six weeks. It was an annoyance, but it was relatively mild and there was little congestion. It felt like there was something inside my nose pressing outward. The left side of my face also felt numb and tense. There was also pressure behind my left eye, which made the eye feel numb as well.

About 8 weeks after the pressure started, it began to switch to the right side as well. I have no idea why it would start only on the left side for 6 weeks, then suddenly decide to switch to both sides. Also at this time I started having terrible congestion accompanying the pressure.

As of today, the pressure/congestion are always in one of three positions: completely on the left side, completely on the right, or completely in the back of the sinuses, where mucous drains into the throat. It is there 60% of the time on the left side, 30% on the right side, and 10% in the back sinuses. When it is in the back I have to constantly suck the mucous down into my throat, as it does not drain by itself and feels like there is a lump if I do not suck it down.

The only things that help are Afrin spray (works for about 20 hours, but has awful rebound congestion) and heavy exercise (the pressure clears up almost completely while my heart is beating fast).

I am thinking this could possibly be due to the Tinnitus--maybe the inner ear nerve/cilia damage somehow affected a nerve leading to the sinuses, causing the blood vessels to be constantly dilated and therefore chronically congested?

Or maybe it is due to my teeth moving (changing my bite and possibly pinching a nerve or something) after getting cavities filled a few weeks before the symptoms started? I have had mild TMJ symptoms (cracking/popping jaw about once a week, mild jaw stiffness) since the sinus symptoms started.

I really have no idea what to do at this point--I am pretty much entirely incapacitated by this--I have trouble finishing sentences, remembering words, focusing my eyes, and speaking. The tinnitus is annoying too, but only really bothers me when trying to sleep. The sinus pressure is definitely the far more serious problem for me.

Hi Earsounds~ Sorry to hear you are going through all of that. I've had similar symptoms for over a year now. I've been on 3 different types of nose sprays, prescribed anti-histamines and decongestants and nothings worked. I also have a form of tinnitus in my left ear (pulsatile tinnitus) and boy is it annoying. I have also been dealing with the excess mucous in the back of my throat, what the heck is that about? My ENT said I could have acid reflux and prescribed nexium, but that seemed to make it worse, so I quit taking it. I did have an MRI, but that came back normal. (thankfully, but still frustrating with no answers)

Have you had an MRI or CT? The thing that worries me is that you have a hard time focusing your eyes, finishing sentences, speaking and trouble remembering words. You may want to let your ENT know those things. I know you may think it could be just the stress of all the symptoms, but those are things that can be associated with something more serious than just having sinus issues. Please let your ENT know all of those things, have them check your hearing and suggest scheduling an MRI. Please keep us posted on what your ENT says. Hang in there, I know how frustrating it all is. Let us know...take care.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:31 PM   #6
(female)

halowv HB User

Earsounds:

I read what you wrote about your eustachian tube dysfunction. Believe it or not, I have had the same thing for about 5 years now. Mine is called Eustachian Tube Dysfunction associated with sniffing. During the first year I was told I had a severe sinus infection and I had sinus surgery. This made the pain not as bad all the time but now only occurs when I smell things or my elevation changes, or temperature changes. But it never completely goes away, it is either tolerable or severe. I have had it for so long that even when it's hurting alittle, I'm used to it. But when it's bad, I'm in bed for the day. Also during the surgery the doctor corrected something in my nose, he said I was born only using one side of my nose to breath through. Not sure if that had anything to do with it but now when I smell things, it triggers it. I have seen about 6 different ENT since then which didn't help, 4 CT scans which show nothing, an MRI which shows nothing, a neurologist who pretty much says you have to deal with some pain that cannot be explained. It is never in both ears at the same time and travels from left to right. The CT scan I had last week showed that I was born with only one sinus cavity over my eyes. None of the other ENT's ever mentioned this to me before. Guess it didn't matter. I was thinking that maybe this is why I was born only breathing through one side of my nose.
Most of the time it is in the left ear but when it goes to the right it hurts worse. Sometimes it starts in my sinus cavities and feels like someone punched me in the face. Then it goes to my ears. I get severe pressure behind my nose also. And sometimes I even have tooth and jaw pain but rarely. Right now I am seeing another ENT who is sending me to a pain clinic. My family doctor told me today that he thinks it is being caused by TMJ. So, now I am looking into dental surgeons who can tell me yes or no that this is the problem. The only thing that helps my ear pain is Hydrocodone. Nasal sprays only make it worse or burn. Steroids helped but you can't stay on them. Antibiotics did nothing. Sinus medication did nothing. Had allergy testing and was told I was allergic to nothing so I had non-allergic rynitis. My jaw and ears pop every time I open my mouth.
Only time I don't have ear pain is when I am eating/chewing. Sometimes when it's really bad, I find something to eat and as long as my jaw is moving, the pain goes away and sometimes it will drain. When I'm done eating, it usally come back though. I have noticed that it is worse when I am around smells. (sprays, perfumes, candles, etc) It also gets bad when I go up in an elevator or high mountain, or when the temperature changes around you durastically, or if I'm near plants. If I get cold, my ears hurt. I have no runny nose but sometimes when the pressure is bad, if I turn my head upside down, clear fluid, like tears pours from my nose. This sometimes relieves the pressure. Yet the ENT insists that there are no fluids. Had this happen at last ENT visit and he was amazed. I just looked down and the fluids started running down my face from my nose. He just finished saying there were no fluids, then asked me if I could make it do that again and what the fluid tasted like? I told him it was like a tear. He wanted to know if it was a salty fluid, which it was, but he still did nothing.
If I lay down, then the thick mucus drains down my throat and sometimes gags me. Had a hearing test and hearing is fine, but ear drums are warped and right ear has a wear spot from all the pressure. (like it's wearing a whole in my ear) Yet when ears are clogged from the pressure, I can't hear well and get sick to my stomach and dizzy from it, just like having an ear infection. I loose my sense of balance. Noise bothers me when ears are hurting also. ENT has given up, which I suspected he would, all the others did the same thing. Family doc thinks it's TMJ that is causing it because when I open my mouth now, my jaw and ears pop and this is really loud sounding inside my head. Not normal at all. Also, my jaw bones pertrude out when I open my jaw, kinda like they are out of alignment. I talked to one doctor today that specializes in TMJ and headaches with face pain, they said they had a patient with similar symptoms who was treated for TMJ and jaw disorder and now is fine. Hopefully they can find answers for me as well.
Like you, I was fine one day and then I woke up the next morning and had severe earpain and was treated for ear infection, 5 years later, still suffering from same pain with no cure yet. I can wake up feeling fine then my daughter can spray perfume or my son put on cologne or even if I smell a flower, then instantly, the pain starts. I did an experiment once where I put gauze in my nose and went outside around the plants which usually bother me. As long as I was not breathing through my nose, there was no ear pain. Not sure if that info can help you or not, but try it and see if it works for you also. I know you can't really go around with gauze shoved up in your nose all day, people look at you like your crazy. But you could try it at home. Also, test and see if smells irritate it worse. This is the trigering of my Eustachian tube dysfunction and most of the time what starts it. I have been told that it is definately eustation tube dysfunction, and I did find referance to it on the internet. But no cure. I looked up TMJ on internet last week and saw that it also causes Eustachian tube dysfunction. Good luck to you and let me know if you get any answers, I am also searching for answers to this bizare problem.

Last edited by halowv; 04-24-2007 at 10:36 PM. Reason: missed some info

Old 06-14-2007, 01:54 AM   #7
(male)

earsounds HB User

Thanks for the response HALO...have you tried Afrin nasal spray (over the counter)? This pretty much improves the pressure completely...sometimes it causes post nasal drip and a feeling fo a lump stuck in the sinuses that drains into the throat, but most of the pressure in my frontal/mid sinuses, as well as the ear fullness, pretty much goes away completely.

If you try Afrin, be sure to get 3 good sprays deep into each nostril, and tilt your head back, to the side, etc. Unfortunately for me, you cannot use Afrin for more than 3 days at a time (and then have to wait another 3-6 days before using it again) to avoid rebound congestion.

Best of luck to you.

My MRI came back perfectly clean too, and since my first post I've tried Imitrex, Verapamil, and Nasocort with no effect.

Going to be trying some more medications soon...will let you know if they help.

Last edited by earsounds; 06-14-2007 at 02:01 AM.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:02 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Earsounds,

Sounds like vasomotor rhinittus. Sinus membrane reactivity to pollutants. In LA it is highly probable. Nasonex is stronger in regard to treating allergic responses and vasomotor rhinitus responses. You can treat it in a similar fashion as allergic rhinitus (anti-histamines/decongestants/nasal sprays), but it is not going to be as effective. Rinsing frequently with a nasal saline solution clears away irritants and helps as well.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 06-14-2007, 10:53 AM   #9
(male)

vince1981 HB User

This sounds like something that has been going on with me for 3 months. my CT scan showed no sinus infection and all my allergy medicine doesn't seem to make the sinus pressure go away. Do you feel like your face is really hot and flushed and that you kind of have a fever?

Quote:

Old 06-15-2007, 06:34 AM   #10
(female)

Jennifer22 HB User

Hi, I can really sympathize with this. I have had "eustachian tube dysfunction" problems since December 2006. Went to the doctor several times and was told there is nothing they can do, it will go away on its own. However, since about April I have had those "strange sinus problems" you mentioned and constant pressure. It has gotten so bad that I am dizzy/lightheaded pretty much all the time now. The last few days I have even had troubles swallowing and eating, which may be associated with drainage in the throat. I am hoping the drainage means the condition is clearing and the pressure will go away...been on a heavy antibiotic for about a week so perhaps that's the case. Otherwise, I am going to request some kind of steroid treatment. Had sinus problems a few years ago and prednisone was the only thing that worked...I think this is basically from built-up fluid that needs to get moving somehow so the pressure will go away.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:52 PM   #11
(female)

Pooke67 HB User
Lightbulb Re: 24-7 Sinus pressure for 6 months, but NO sinus infection or allergy symptoms

Dear Friends, I have had a similar experience. For the last 4 months I have been "foggy", light-headed, stuffy ears, constant post nasal drip and periodic nausea (usually morning). I am tired and weak on my bad days. I had Sinus Surgery to correct a structural abnormality 12 years ago and have been trouble free until now. I initially thought this was a simple sinus infection and tried 2 rounds of antibiotics with no help. I then saw an ENT and was given prednisone for 2 weeks (which I could only tolerate for 10 days). This seemed to help, but then symptoms returned. My 2nd ENT seems to know exactly what this is...LPR (Laryngopharygneal Reflux) which is NOT the same as GERD which is causing a neurologic OR physical reaction in my sinuses. I am being treated with 1 20 mg Prilosec (morn) and 1 150 mg Zantac before bed. The symptoms for LPR seem to be similar to what i have (post nasal drip, ear pain, etc.). I have been on the regimen for about 10 days now and I'm feeling somewhat better. Apparently this treatment is for a minimum of 2 months. There seems to be good research to back up treating for reflux and getting relief from chronic sinusitis. LPR doesn't usually cause heartburn (which I don't have). I was also tested for allergies and had mild allergies, but I have no symptoms of congestion. My CT scan was also clean. This is very frustrating, but I am pinning all of my hopes on this reflux treatment (even though I would have never in a million years thought that I had this). Good luck to everyone who doesn't feel well...I too have been troubled with having to raise kids, sort out a new house and hold down a job, all while feeling like I want to lay in bed all day. I guess we should all be thankful when we feel well!

The Following User Says Thank You to Pooke67 For This Useful Post:
bobb101794 (10-22-2012)
Closed Thread