It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2007, 10:05 PM   #1
(male)

Sleepy2007 HB User
Prednisone Dosage for Chronic Sinusitis

Could someone point me toward a resource for calculating the correct dosage for Prednisone used in conjunction with Biaxin for treating chronic sinusitis? In the past two years I have had Prednisone prescribed three times by three doctors, one an ENT. Yet the dosages were markedly different when the symptoms were similar. Here's what I received:

72 10 mg tablets taken in decreasing quantities from six a day to one every other day over a course of three weeks.

24 5 mg tablets taken one a day for 24 days.

100 5 mg tablets taken one a day, but can increase to two a day if symptoms don't improve.

In between, I was "cured" for many months. I asked a pharmacist and was told that this information could only be found on paid subscription websites.

Any leads would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:49 AM   #2
(female)

cmorrisclark HB User
Re: Prednisone Dosage for Chronic Sinusitis

i used to use prednisone for sinus infections as well. i don't have a site to calculate the dosage (seems unlikely that there is one since you've been given different dosages.) here's what was always prescribed for me:

40mgs for 3 days
30mgs for 3 days
20mgs for 3 days
10mgs for 3 days

the first time i ever had to use prednisone, it was like a miracle-- i went from no nose breathing to almost completely open passages in like 3 hours. but, about 16 months (and 5-6 serious sinus infections) later, it was taking more than a day and a half to kick in. i would have had to up the dosages to see faster results. b/c prednisone has strong side effects, i eventually decided on sugery-- sinus surgery as well as have my tonsils and adenoids removed.

i'm less than 3 weeks out of the surgery, so i can't yet say how much it helps, but the doctors seemed to think it was the right call. apparently my tonsils were big and blocking things, the adenoids were rotten, and multiple sinus cavities were completely clogged. the recovery from the t&a portion of the surgery has been brutal, but you might want to talk through this option with your doc as prednisone really isn't a good long-term option.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2007, 09:25 PM   #3
(female)

tvaughn67 HB User
Wink Re: Prednisone Dosage for Chronic Sinusitis

I just got prescribed prednisone at 40 mg./1 week, 30/2nd week, 20/3rd week, 10/4th week. I was reluctant to start the meds. because of all the horror stories about moodiness, weight gain, facial hair. I'd rather not breathe than turn into a fat, raging, mongrel cur, or at least that's what my husband said.

But after the CT scan revealed my sinuses to be a total crime scene --infection, polyps, possible mold, deviated septum -- I went ahead and popped the pred. I'd been addicted to Afrin spray for years and was ordered to stop cold turkey. I felt like my diseased sinuses were a Sopranos episode--some poor schmuck got himself killed off and shoved up my nose along with a brick wall. Seriously, what died up in there? The pred. is helping with the excavation and autopsy.

I'm starting to breathe again and drain--disgusting. At work, I brought everybody ear plugs and vitamin C packets for having to put up with my nose-blowing. The human body is utterly ridiculous.

Anyway, the pred does help. I'm also using the Grossom HydraPulse irrigation, oil of oregano, collidal silver and other o'natural crap. Who knows if this helps, but it makes me feel virtuous. Oh, and one thing I can recommend AGAINST: the toilet plunger, didn't work at all.

Better breathing all!

Old 05-03-2007, 11:22 PM   #4
(male)

tonic33 HB User

Just regarding Prednisone in general. I would try to stay on it as short as possible. I have Crohn's Disease and was on Prednisone for a long time at 40mg a day along with a host of other meds. Prednisone has withdrawal effects and also pretty bad side effects.

Once your sinuses clear up, the faster you get off the better. My taper was 10 mg drops until it was at 10mg daily. Then 5mg for 1 week. then 2mg and then i jumped.

Good luck

Old 05-04-2007, 08:03 AM   #5
(male)

Sleepy2007 HB User

Everyone seems to agree that too much Prednisone is bad. But I'm still looking for documentation that indicates how much is enough.

Closed Thread