It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2007, 10:08 AM   #1
(female)

d_dixiechick HB User
Terrible Sinus Headaches

Hello,

Over the last few years, I have developed springtime allergies. In the past, any over the counter medication, such as Sinutab, would relieve my symptoms, so I never have really considered trying to find out what exactly in the springtime causes my symptoms.

This spring, however, I have been getting the worst sinus headaches, that no medication seems to get rid of. My whole face hurts and there is so much pressure! The problem is is that they aren't consistent. I might have one for a few days and then go pain free for a few days. I considered seeing a doctor but I know this is just something I have to deal with only until allergy season is over, and I would hate to go to a doctor just to have her tell me that. So can anyone recommend any treatments that they have found effective in treating sinus pain and pressure?

Thanks!

Old 05-08-2007, 10:41 AM   #2
(female)

jujubeez725 HB User
Cool Re: Terrible Sinus Headaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_dixiechick View Post
Hello,

Over the last few years, I have developed springtime allergies. In the past, any over the counter medication, such as Sinutab, would relieve my symptoms, so I never have really considered trying to find out what exactly in the springtime causes my symptoms.

This spring, however, I have been getting the worst sinus headaches, that no medication seems to get rid of. My whole face hurts and there is so much pressure! The problem is is that they aren't consistent. I might have one for a few days and then go pain free for a few days. I considered seeing a doctor but I know this is just something I have to deal with only until allergy season is over, and I would hate to go to a doctor just to have her tell me that. So can anyone recommend any treatments that they have found effective in treating sinus pain and pressure?

Thanks!
Benadryl Allergy/Sinus works well for me! But make sure you see a doctor.

I just had a sinus/allergy headache yesterday. I took my allergy medicine for it and slept it off, and this morning, I was good to go.

Now keep in mind that allergies can bring on sinusitis, so see if it's just your allergies flaring up, or if you've come down w/a sinus infection.
Also, let them run some allergy tests to see what you're having a reaction to.

Last edited by jujubeez725; 05-08-2007 at 10:42 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2007, 06:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Terrible Sinus Headaches

Keep a look out for a sinus infection forming.. if you have yellow green drainage coming out of your nose and droping down your throat.. in conjunction with a low grade fever.. you need anti-biotics for a sinus infection.

In the meantime hit your allergies with the best OTC combo out there at the moment.. Claritin-D. Make sure it is the one with pseudophedrine and not the wimpy only 30% effective replacement.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 05-09-2007, 12:01 PM   #4
(female)

d_dixiechick HB User

Yesterday I went out and bought a couple of different over the counter meds and Claritin definitely cleared up the sinus headache, but yeesh, expensive! The thing that just boggles my mind is that I was having sinus headaches and some itching, but my nose was clear!

Anyway, today I woke up and the weather has changed (from sunny to rainy) and now there's no sinus headache, but lots of itching and sneezing and stuffed up nose. The joys of allergies!

Old 05-10-2007, 12:44 AM   #5
(male)

omni586 HB User

Over the last few days ive been experiencing the same symptoms you have. My face feels swollen, my eyes are runny, my ears pop constantly, the bridge of my nose is sore and I've been getting headaches behind my eyes and in my forehead, but my nose isn't stopped up at all...generally my nose stays stopped up and I don't the headaches

Old 05-10-2007, 06:15 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

When the nose is clear and you get the sinus pressure headaches... it tends to be due to hyperactive yurbonide membranes in your maxillary and frontal sinuses. This means your membranes are swollen and inflamed and blocking of the nasal exit ports only allowing for escape down the back of your throat in the form of post nasal drip. You have to be really careful at this time, because if the sinus membranes are producing more funk than you can drain you will end up with an impaced sinus infection.. they suck, hurt, make you feel like a baboon's backside, and take between 21 and 28 days of anti-biotics to clear up. That an anti-histamine and decongestant now to prevent it progressing to the sinus infection stage.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 05-21-2007, 02:56 PM   #7
(female)

violaa HB User

when you have these headaches does the top of your head hurt as well like a stinging pain and moving your hair makes it hurt also i have bad sinus have had that happening for about 2 yrs now and also at allergy seasons

Old 05-21-2007, 08:25 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes. The whole head, hair, everything. Sinus pressure on the nerves did it.
MG

Old 05-22-2007, 12:01 AM   #9
(female)

violaa HB User

thank you for your answer back cause that is a very scary feeling and i was so confussed

Old 06-06-2007, 05:43 PM   #10
(male)

omni586 HB User

could the increase in fluids/sinus pressure also cause dizziness? Ive been having slight dizziness over the last few days, lots of pain in my head behind my eyebrows, my nose isnt stopped up at all but ive got a lot of "funk" as you would call it. I also have been feeling a slight stinging pain on the top of my head...im not entirely sure what post nasal drip is so im not sure if ive got that or not.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:53 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes.. fluid and membrane pressure in the sinuses can both pinch nerves and cause everything from vision blurring to the migraine head/hair splitting headaches. Allergies and the side effects got to respect them for their amazing ability to get the point across.

Respectfully,
MG

Closed Thread