It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2007, 08:48 AM   #1
(female)

shelby26 HB User
Tonsil & Sinus surgery @ same time- HELP!

Hi.
I am scheduled to have a tonsillectomy and a sinusectomy (the whole bit) all at once. Has anyone had these done at the same time? I worry because I know my nose will be packed for a couple of days. Will I have trouble breathing through my mouth, or is that what you fellow tonsillectomy survivors did- breath through your mouth??

I am extremely scared about the anesthesia. I have light asthma and worry about something happening. Looks like you have a great support group here- I am hoping for a bit of reassurance

Old 05-17-2007, 11:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Tonsil & Sinus surgery @ same time- HELP!

Been there done that in October of last year. I couldn't have my sinuses packed though, because my ethnoids and back sinuses were worked on as well.. thus I had to be able to drain.. or bleed all over the place when I leaned forward.

You will not notice the annoyace of the sinus surgery until after you have recovered from the tonsillectomy. Look to the LisaMP's guide for Tonsil recovery tips and rough guidlines.

As far as the sinus stuff.. saline spray lots of it... you will breathe out of your mouth due to throat swelling and the packing will be removed about the time the swelling is subsiding. Sleep elevated in a recliner and just relax. The tonsil pain meds should handle the sinus headache you will have. No quick ups and downs.. do not bend forward.. and take a recorder to get the nurses and ENTs care recommendations in a form you will remember.

Good luck you will fine. I was and still am thoroughly thrilled by my results.

Sincerely,
MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 05-17-2007 at 11:30 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2007, 11:51 PM   #3
(male)

Pillbox HB User

What kind of sinus surgery you gonna have done? My mom had a surgery on her sinuses a couple of years ago. I don't really want to scare you but her surgery really scared me She came home and her face was so swollen her jaws where just about resting on her shoulders. She also had these stents in her nose with gauze packed up in her head. She didn't resemble anything of her former self She said having those stents taking out was the worst pain she has ever experienced in her life. But she says her sinus's are a whole lot better now and she can breath real good and she doesn't get sinus infections anymore. I guess I would go through that pain to get rid of my sinus problems.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Lucky, I didn't have much swelling or black eyes or anything like that with mine.

My surgery entailed endoscopic sinus passage widenning, endoscopic insertion of drainage windows in all sinus cavities, complete opening and evacuation of the ethnoid and rear sinus cavities, a membrane removal of turbonide membrane to 49% of the original quantity of membrane.

What procedure did the doctor use on your mother. Was it endoscopic? Did she perhaps have stitches in her scalp area? Everyone reacts to surgery differently. Stints can be painful if the area is not kept moist and scabbing forms over the stints.. same with packing removal.. dry packing rips off the freshly formed and healed skin if it isn't kept moist.

Saline spray to keept things moist is a must. I had to use mine every two hours while I was awake. My husband had to do the same.. every four hours he was awake when he had a turboplasty and pollump removal.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 05-18-2007, 11:08 PM   #5
(male)

Pillbox HB User

I really couldn't tell you. I would have to ask her is has been some time ago, but as I was saying it looked really painful for her.

Closed Thread