It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2007, 07:03 AM   #1
(male)

jshors HB User
sinus surgery?

Hi, everyone.

I've been having some problems with my sinuses. I have a lot of pressure/pain behind my nose. And I get very lightheaded, which is a very hard symptom to endure, day after day.

I had a CT scan done that shows that my sinuses are all screwed up. My ENT doc says that it's possible that sinus surgery would help reduce some pressure on my ears. I'm certainly thinking about getting the surgery done.

Have anyone else had experience with such stuff? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks.

- JS

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2007, 08:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: sinus surgery?

If your ENT recommends surgery do it.. I had a complete endoscopic roto rooter of my sinuses and it was worth it. I also had a T&A at the same time.. also worth it.

With out knowing what all is messed up I can not be more specific in my reply. No surgeon will give you a guarantee that it will fix it completely... but my sinus surgery has made a world of difference. Hell I can breathe through my nose now and no more sinus infections.

Sincerely,
MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2007, 08:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User

Yes, the Roto-Rooter (a.k.a. "up your nose with a rubber hose") surgery was the best thing that has happened to my head and upper respiratory system in YEARS. If the surgeon thinks it will help, I'd say go ahead and do it.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:57 AM   #4
(male)

jshors HB User

Thanks for your reply. I'm thinking along those lines and feel that I'll go ahead and do it. Just out of curiosity, did either of you have any ear problems that seemed to be connected with your sinus problems? And if so, did your ear problems improve after the surgery?

Thanks!

Old 05-31-2007, 12:21 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User

Only if "ear problems" can be described as feeling like someone was jabbing an icepick in my ear over and over again... I never slept. And yes, it really did get a lot better. As a matter of fact, it went away.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:49 AM   #6
(male)

jshors HB User

Wow, so the sinus surgery made your ear problems go away. That's really encouraging. Congrats! Did you have any ringing or pressure, or just the pain (which sounds horrible)? Did you ever get dizzy or lightheaded? I'm glad you're feeling better...

Old 06-01-2007, 11:39 PM   #7
(male)

sanufi HB User

I've also got sinus/ear problems. Dustoffkid, could you tell me more about the type of surgery you had - ethmoidectomy, turbinate reduction, widening holes, etc? How was the recovery and how are you now? I'm thinking of getting the surgery done too but my allergist doesn't seem think it would help me.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:52 AM   #8
(male)

jshors HB User

Do you guys think there is a direct connection between your sinus problems and your ear problems? I'm starting to think so. When I have a great deal of sinus pressure (which has been true for the last three months straight) I tend to have a lot of ear pressure and am dizzy. That's why I'm thinking of getting the sinus surgery done. My ENT says that it could be a trigger (the sinsus stuff) that sets off all sorts of other problems. Thoughts?

Old 06-03-2007, 11:11 PM   #9
(male)

sanufi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshors View Post
Do you guys think there is a direct connection between your sinus problems and your ear problems? I'm starting to think so. When I have a great deal of sinus pressure (which has been true for the last three months straight) I tend to have a lot of ear pressure and am dizzy.
Sure, I think my allergist says it's eustachian tube problems with the ear caused by sinus problems. I've also been having ear related off-balance/foggy head problems for the past year and a half. I'm still struggling with it pretty much every day.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:32 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Definitely linked. My sinuses are now fixed and I haven't had any ear funk, twinges, pain.. etc since then.

Sincerely,
MG

Dito on the eustacion tube constriction and fluid retention. These tend to be linked to improper sinus drainage and allergies.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:33 AM   #11
(female)

macrover180 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgbrook View Post
Definitely linked. My sinuses are now fixed and I haven't had any ear funk, twinges, pain.. etc since then. Sincerely,
MG Dito on the eustacion tube constriction and fluid retention. These tend to be linked to improper sinus drainage and allergies.
Just a silly question: I was diagnosed with chronic sinusitis about three years ago but I wasn't given any antibiotics or anything else for that matter. However, I did have a turbinate reduction though and while it fixed the problem for quite a long time, I'm having the same trouble again and having weird symptoms now daily-should I have another procedure done?

Old 06-09-2007, 05:07 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ah.. turbonide reduction is not a permanent fix.. especially if it was done via electrocaurterization. Your body will regenerate the membranes over time.. most take 5-10 years to regenerate though.. yours seems a bit premature to be regeneration issues. But we are all different and depending on your age you may heal quicker.

The reduction helped me.. but two years later I had to have the full blown sinus surgery to open up passages and removal all unnecessary bits.

Sincerely,
MG

Closed Thread