It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2007, 04:29 AM   #1
(male)

spidercomrade HB User
Sinus issue?

I have been experiencing some scary symptoms for several weeks now. I've seen three different doctors, the first one twice a week apart. The first gave me Ativan for managing anxiety. The second has gone along with that original diagnosis and also said that my symptoms could be from allergies, recommending Claritin in the morning and Zantac and Benadryl at night to deal with my sleeping disturbances. In addition, if these didn't work, he gave me Lexapro to deal with anxiety. Finally, the third is considering the possibility of a sinus infection and gave me antibiotics as well as a Flonase-type allergy nasal spray.

On to the symptoms:

It all started with a feeling of dizziness, almost lightheadedness. It wasn't the kind of dizziness that would make me fall; it was maybe more like disorientation.

Anyway, it has progressed. This original symptoms continued when I tried to sleep. I would have a hard time falling asleep and then would wake up several times in the night, sometimes panicked. Also, sometimes as I was falling asleep, I would jerk and wake myself up; I would also be scared because this seemed like something that shouldn't happen. It would take me a long time to get back to sleep when I woke up in the middle of the night.

New symptoms include feeling drowsy during the day, like the feeling one gets when just waking up except for a long time. This was sometimes accompanied by some big amounts of yawning. Also, this drowsiness combined with/caused a kind of brain fog, a feeling of detachment from everything around me that made it hard to focus.

Sometimes it feels like there's pressure in my sinuses, sometimes in the top of my head; sometimes the pressure is on the left or right side of my head, sort of a headache.

Finally, sometimes I shake, sometimes different muscles scattered around my body twitch a little (fasciculations).

I'm worried that this could be a brain tumor, though everyone around me insists it's just anxiety (mixed with allergies?) Are these normal symptoms of a sinus infection? What should I do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2007, 09:24 AM   #2
(male)

stephen1970 HB User
Re: Sinus issue?

What came first the anxiety or the antibiotic? In my case, I took zithromax (Z-pac) for pneumonia and had the exact same problems you listed and they haven't gone away. How are you doing now? If your doctor can rule out sinus infection and can give you an OK to do some exercise I'd recommend going out for a 10 to 15 min jog everyday. That might help you sleep at night and for improving concentration I found just getting a basketball and shooting some hoops for 20 mins can help bring me some clarity.

Good luck!

Old 06-07-2007, 01:50 AM   #3
(male)

spidercomrade HB User
Re: Sinus issue?

The anxiety medication came first. I'm willing to debate whether my physical symptoms are caused by anxiety however; I am certainly anxious about this "sickness," but otherwise I'm not too terribly stressed. The antibiotics came just about exactly a week ago, compared to taking Lexapro for 3 weeks or so.

It's a conundrum because some of the docs have thought it was allergies. I do have hay fever allergies, this isn't typical of those, but reactions change. If I went out and got exercise, I would be increasing the pollen I breathe. Also, at times the symptoms are pretty debilitating, to the point where I don't want to move. The fatigue could be attributed to either the Lexapro side effects or the fact that I have a sinus problem (fatigue often accompanies sinusitis?). The pressure in my head is especially odd and disconcerting. I'd like to exercise again, though. I lifted weights every day for two semesters while I was at school, but since this problem started I stopped lifting. I've lost a lot of muscle since I've been fairly inactive for the past 6 weeks or so.

Closed Thread