It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2007, 09:13 PM   #1
(female)

Lakergirl22 HB User
Allergies or Sinus infection?

I have a question. I suffer from frequent sinus infections, I don't know why but I do. I had a CT scan done, nothing was found. I get them once every other month or so. Yesterday I started feeling sick, but not like a sinus infection, it was a scratchy throat feeling, coughing, and sneezing. SO I went to teh doctor this morning, and said I was concerned about a sinus infection coming on and I wanted to catch it before it got bad, because they can be awful!

So he told me he saw no signs of infection and thinks it's seasonal allergies, he gave me Alavert D-12 and Nasonex to try. I have taken 2 Alavert's and done the spray twice...now I am noticing that my left ear is plugged and sorta hurts, my scratchy throat is gone, I have green thick nasal discharge, my nose isn't completely stuffed, but I think that's because of the alavert, and my head is starting to feel like there's pressure. Could these allergies from earlier today be turning into a sinus infection already?!? I am probably overreacting, but I'm sick of getting these infections and I was hoping that this would just be allergies. I have a tendency to be a hypochondriac, so I don't know if I should go back to the urgent care or just wait it out...I just wasn't sure how long an actual sinus infection could go on left untreated. I hate to go back tomorrow, I just didn't know if I should or not. I can't tell what's going on.

Also might be good to note, my wisdom teeth are coming in and the sinus infections I get are usually in teh maxilary sinuses, and I've had a small infection in one of the teeth, I took Amoxicillin the week before last and that cleared up but could that be what's causing this? I'm confused and not sure where I should go from here, or when I should go back to the doctor? I don't have a primary care physician here (I am a college student away at school) but I do back home, so when I'm here I go to the urgent care, and I hate to go there 2 days in a row if I am simpy overreacting...any ideas? :chagrin:

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2007, 06:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Allergies or Sinus infection?

Here are the symptoms for a sinus infection.. by the text book.

1) Sinus and facial pressure
2) darkening of skin about the eyes
3) sensitivity to light and sound
4) head ache
5) fever approx in 100.4 for at least five days
6) Yellow green mucus discharge down the back of the throat.

Ear in fections (inner):
Often has many of the same symptoms as a sinus infection.. but add ear pain, dizziness, higher fever (101-103)

New medicine for allergies.. takes two weeks to build up and hit optimum levels in the blood stream.

To aide your nasonex effectiveness.. get a saline nasal spray (no decongestant in it.. simply saline works best for my family)
1) Spray up the nose two-three squirts in each nostril.
2) Blow and spit out loosened mucus.
3)Then apply nasonex.

Allegra and Zyrtec are my preferred anti-histamines with Zyrtec being number one for my families needs. I am not familiar with the one you have. There are Zrytec D and Alledgra D (generic forms for allegra now).. I might suggest these if the one you are on does not give you relief.

Your ear pain is mostlikely the result of trapped ear fluid do to full sinuses. Also if you have sinus infections every oter month you are a prime candidate for sinus surgery. Check with an ENT and an allergist, they may be able to manage you issue with out surgery.

Sincerely,
MG

Closed Thread