It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2007, 01:17 PM   #1
(female)

hjjasnell HB User
Sinus surgery in 3 weeks...advice?

So I'm scheduled to have sinus surgery June 26th and I want to find out everything I can about it before I have it done. I'm supposed to have a septoplasty and image guided sinus surgery (he's going to break down some of the walls, clean out all the gunk and remove a concha bullosa). I'm to the verge of panic and anxiety attacks (which I suffer from) just thinking about the surgery and the pain afterwards. I know I need it done (after seeing 4...yes four...different doctors) but it still scares the bejeezus out of me. After reading horror stories online about the pain people experience. So if y'all could give me some realistic idea of how much pain I'll be in and how much it will hurt to have the packing removed that would be wonderful! I know it will all be worth it once it's all said and done but in the meantime I have 1 week to recover and then it's back to work. I posted a similar message about a month ago and want to thank those who replied. Thanks for any input about the recovery time and the surgery itself!!

Old 06-06-2007, 03:10 PM   #2
(male)

hp8 HB User
Re: Sinus surgery in 3 weeks...advice?

hi jjasnell,

Yep I basically need the same thing including removal of concha bullosa. So tired from lack of sleep everyday can hardly function.
Let us know how your surgery goes. I'm more afraid of getting my nostrils packed up for days. How do people manage to suffer through 4 or 5 days of that with all that gunk constantly clogging up your throat. It's pretty hard to swallow with your nose completely plugged.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2007, 04:01 PM   #3
(female)

Danni1979 HB User

Hiya i had a septoplasty,turbinate reduction,cyst removel and Endoscopic sinus surgery last June.
Like you i have chronic anxiety and panic attacks,i had a panic attack after waiting for 1 hour so the hospital kindly put me into a private room as they understood about my anxity(make sure you tell them)Then the anethetist came round and i explained all my fears to him,he was very reassuring,about 30 mins before my op the doctor came round and put 6 cotton bud type things on metal spikes up my nose 3 in each nostril(these have a form of cocaine paste on them to open up the nasal area with out loads of bleeding)they sound worse then they are to be honest,but it was a bit uncomfertable when she put them in but even my OH said she seemed to do it quite quickly,it was only as they passed the bridge of my nose area that it was uncomfertable,it was fine as soon as they were in.Next step they took me down to the pre op room(i was in ters cos i was so scared)but they held my hand told me i would feel a little scratch and thats all i can remember till i came round in the recovery room.I felt a little bit sick but they put something in me and i was fine,they then took me to the ward.At this point i was just feeling really sleepy and i felt fine,n pain or anything,this is about 330pm.By 8 pm i was really really sleepy and was trying to sleep but couldnt,about 2 in the morning i was in pain from the packing,it was more of an uncomfertable pain then a excuiting pain,the nurses kept giving me painkillers and they ended up giving me an ice pak to place on my nose.I can honestly say this was the only pain i had after my op.The removal of the packing was great,it just slid out,the nurse squirted water round the opening of my nostril and gently prised the packing from my nose(didnt hurt) then he told me to take a deep breath and it was out,he did the same with the other side and i can hnestly say it didnt hurt me one bit.By this point i was just so tired and felt really rough cos i hadnt slept,my OH took me home and for the next couple of weeks i just slept,even talking on the phone made me sleepy.
I do remember having a drink after my op and i was really plugged up and my ears popped,i spat the water out cos i was so surprised,lol.
I do think you'll need a bit more time to recover then 1 week though,i didnt have any pain really after the op,nothing that paracetomaol couldnt cure i just felt really tired and slept so much,but i reckon that was catching up from the lack of sleep i'd had from having chronic sinusitus for so long.
Please try not to be frightened i am such a chicken and it was really fine,the hospital were brilliant with me.
You'll be fine and good luck,oh and another thing,you have to sleep propped up t begin with just to let ya know.
Hugs
xx

Last edited by Danni1979; 06-06-2007 at 04:10 PM.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:08 PM   #4
(female)

Danni1979 HB User

Hi hp8,do they really have to keep the packing in for so long,i had my op at 1.30pm and they removed my packingbout 6.30am the next day no prob,ask your doctor if its neccersery to have it in for days on end.I had no bleeding after they removed my packing or anything.I have to say even though the packing was in for a short while i hate that bunged up feeling so it really bugged me so i get where ya coming from,have a chat with ya doc though see if they cant take it out earlier.
Hugs
xx

Old 06-06-2007, 09:30 PM   #5
(male)

hp8 HB User

Hi danni,

They kept you in the hospital all night after the surgery? And packing taken out in less than a day? Tell me where you had your surgery and who did it. I want to go there!!! LOL

My doc is a plastic surgeon, facial reconstruction and ENT. He said the packing would be in for at least 4 days. Also after the op if there are no complications, after the anesthe. wears off, home I go.

If I only had to keep the packing in for 1 day I go for surgery tomorrow. haha. maybe you are not much of a bleeder.

Before your surgery, were you always congested. After the surgery were you able to breathe clearly or did it take a while.

Thanks.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:39 AM   #6
(female)

Danni1979 HB User

Hiya hp8,i was continuesly congested before my op,it was awful,it took about 3 weeks for all the congstion to clear,but i had the op last June and i've just been referred back to ENT for suspected chronic sinusitis again, was congstion free till bout christmas and its just increased since then.
I am a smoker so dont know if that coud be a contributing factor to getting it back(Prob is) btu i'm always suspicious of docs blaming everything on my smoking as a friends son had the same op and he started getting sinus infecs less than a year after and he wasnt a smoker.
As for the packing its the way its done over here and its normal for the hospital to keep you over night after all its not really a minor op is it?
xx

Old 06-07-2007, 09:01 AM   #7
(female)

hjjasnell HB User

Thanks so much for the reply! I'm not looking forward to the packing but I've heard that if you keep it moist it isn't as bad...I guess we'll see. So the painkillers they prescribe (boy I hope my doc does!) seem to help with the pain of it all? I've been put under several times so I'm not too worried about that (wisdom teeth out, tonsillectomy, and tubal ligation), thankfully that's one less thing to worry about. What did you use to spray in your nose? Did you use a saline rinse/wash? If so, how do you do that? You'd think with all my problems I'd know how to by now but I've never even been able to inhale Steroid sprays (nasonex, flonase, etc.) much less a rinse. Thanks again!

Old 06-07-2007, 10:07 AM   #8
(male)

hp8 HB User

hjjansell: Why aren't you able to inhale steroid sprays? I use nasonex, its a little stronger than the rest, so the ENT says. But it gived me nosebleeds even when I use saline spray prior.
It's not the pain I'm worry about. I'll gladly suffer through a couple weeks of pain to get rid of this congestion, its the packing that everyone I know says is a misery.

danni1979: hmm that don't sound too encouraging. 6 months after op, you are congested again. Have you been tested for allergies? I been to 2 different allergist. the first one tested me and said he couldn't find aything I was allergic to. The 2nd one tested me, I have welts on one arm, was told I was allergic to grass, trees, mold, etc.
This was all 1 month apart. So ... who knows what to believe.
My CT scan shows a structural abnormality but I could breathe my whole life up till last year. I guess when it comes to sinus issues, every individual responds differently to treatment, it all depends on how your luck runs.
Why don't you try and quit smoking cold turkey for a couple months, see if your congestion improves.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:30 AM   #9
(female)

hjjasnell HB User

hp: I can't inhale them because I can't breathe through my nose, haven't been able to for a few years!

I won't know what to do with myself when I can smell and taste everything LOL, being able to finally breathe through my nose properly will be all worth it.

danni: i have to agree, doesn't sound encouraging to those of us still waiting to get the surgery. I'm sorry that you're congested and hopefully it's nothing major (and definitely not a sinus infection...hopefully).

Last edited by hjjasnell; 06-07-2007 at 10:33 AM.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:39 PM   #10
(female)

Danni1979 HB User

Hiya all,yeh i suppose i shouldnt jump to conclusions reallly but i'm sure you guys understand you get the congestion and think Oh No ,it is hayfever season here and i'm allergic so it could possibly be that,def gonna cut out the cigs at least then i'll know if it is contributing.
As for the saline spray its really easy,over here (dunno if its different for you guys)we just squirt the saline solution into the nostril with a syringe and thats it!!No breathing in just literally rinse the nose out.
After the op i had to do that twice a day i thinkl it was because of nasal crusting(i had to have some of mine removed and gosh there was so much of it,lol)thats just blood etc from healing the wound.I was also on a antibiotic cream which i put on a cotton bud and put just in the nostril,i also had to use a decongestant spray but didnt think this did much good.
Good luck both of you.
Hugs
xx

Old 06-08-2007, 10:41 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Hp8,

They kept you in the hospital all night after the surgery? And packing taken out in less than a day? Tell me where you had your surgery and who did it. I want to go there!!! LOL

My surgery was outpatient and packing free. Dr. Charles St. Charles, Chattanooga, TN was my ENT.
My doc is a plastic surgeon, facial reconstruction and ENT. He said the packing would be in for at least 4 days. Also after the op if there are no complications, after the anesthe. wears off, home I go.

Sounds like he may not be planning on a completely endoscopic procedure.. or that he is not using the guided laser surgery. I would sniff about for a different ENT using more current techniques.
If I only had to keep the packing in for 1 day I go for surgery tomorrow. haha. maybe you are not much of a bleeder.

Well I bleed if I bent over.. and that was a few days time frame.. then I clogged up. Pain from endoscopic sinus surgery is minimal. Not many nerves up there. I only had a sinus headache and that wasn't as bad as some of the sinus infection headaches I had. My sinus pain saver I believe was the saline spray rinses followed by ponaris nasal oil when that was allowed.

Before your surgery, were you always congested. After the surgery were you able to breathe clearly or did it take a while.

Congestion for me was about 10-14 days, but I could breathe through my nose even though I was congested. After the first month things cleared up and all was well despite
getting the flu and rota virus twice.

MG

Old 06-08-2007, 08:27 PM   #12
(male)

hp8 HB User

Hi MG,

Thanks for all your help and replies.

Laser guided surgery huh. Hmm maybe if I was rich and donated millions to a hospital foundation, they could find someone here qualified to do it I'm sure.

Last time I walked into emerg with breathing problems and waiting hours for my turn, the doc examined me and said, "You walked in here on your own 2 feet, what are you doing here?"
A couple weeks later, I start receiving all kinds of letters and brochures from the hospital seeking donations etc.

I tried nasal rinse for the first time today. But if your sinuses are all clogged up, how is the rinse gonna get that junk out. Also if your ears are clogged, it saya on the box do not use the rinse.
I don't feel any different after rinsing, still feel some pressure in the sinuses. Just that my nose feels like it took a shower for the first time. I might just get addicted to this. Couldn't keep squeezing the bottle after the liquid started coming out the other side. Maybe after a few times, I will be able t finish at least half the bottle.

Closed Thread