It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2007, 10:28 PM   #1
(female)

charpo HB User
Sinus infection and high blood pressure

I have had this terrible sinus infection for almost 2 weeks. The first time I went to the doctors for it, my blood pressure was 180/100. I am already on a blood pressure medicine. Today I went to the doctors again for the sinus infection and again my blood pressure was 168/100. My doctor told me she's not going to be too concerned about it because your blood pressure can go up when you are not feeling well. She said to call her on Monday or Tuesday with more reading that i will be taking. If it is still high she may change my blood pressure medication.

Any ways, did anyone else ever hear this that your blood pressure can go higher if you are not feeling well or should I be more concerned than I am?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2007, 10:06 AM   #2
(female)

ms58 HB User
Re: Sinus infection and high blood pressure

Your best course of action is to take your pressures at home, maybe twice a day at different times, and see how they average out.

I don't know anything about being sick and having higher pressures, but anything can affect pressure in the short term. Over a month or so, pressures that high on a consistant basis need to be addressed by med changes or medical tests, or whatever, but addressed.

Just keep checking your home readings and hopefully, the readings go back down.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2007, 12:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi,

Your doctor is right. Experiencing pain or not feeling well can temporarily increase your blood pressure.

My friend is facing a third hernia surgery. Her blood pressure spikes, depending on how much pain she feels at the time. (I measured it myself a few times). It can go from her usually normal 120/75 to 178/100 in minutes and then goes back down when she is feeling better. She was assured by her doctor that she does not have high blood pressure and no treatment is necessary.

Flowergirl

Old 07-04-2007, 12:29 PM   #4
(female)

charpo HB User

thanks for your replys. I am feeling pretty miserable and don't fell any relief coming soon. I hope the blood pressure does come down though. I know its not because I'm nervous at the doctors. It never is any other time. What other illness can cause you sinus problems and high blood pressure, does anyone no of any?

Old 07-04-2007, 01:34 PM   #5
(female)

ms58 HB User

Charpo, I was wondering if you were taking any cold meds before/during the sinus infection. Some can cause your blood pressure to rise and some decongestants can even contribute to sinus infections.

And are you on antibiotics for the sinus problem? I used to get sinus infections and antibiotics were usually necessary to clear them up. Now that I no longer use cold meds, due to blood pressure concerns, I rarely get sinus infections, probably some connection there as well.

Old 07-04-2007, 05:38 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

lylone HB User

Charpo,

I agree with MS. Any decogestant can cause your bp to go up. Stay away from anything with a D at the end of it and this includes nose sprays. Look for some Lortadine or Zyrtec or other antihistimine. It will help some, but won't raise your bp. I also take Musinex which helps clear my nose and throat when I get sinus infections. Just drink plenty of water and don't take anything wiht a D.
My bp is usually up also when I go to the doctor with a sinus infection. All the sniffy, achy, and crappy throat would make anyone feel bad and cause bp to go up.

good luck,
lyl

Old 07-04-2007, 05:39 PM   #7
(female)

carmen1023 HB User

charpo, the same question i was going to ask you. Probably you are taking any med for the sinus for example Afrin if you have high blood pressure you can not take this and nothing over the counter only if you take Ocean (Saline solution) that relief you and the same time is doesn't have any side effect.
carmen

Old 07-05-2007, 04:57 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

penybobeny HB User

Charpo,

Yes, your BP can go up from infection or pain, the best course of action is to monitor your BP at home and not to take any over the counter meds (this includes herbal suppliments or vitamins) without clearing it with your Dr first... even the most innocent looking things can effect the ability of your prescribed meds from working properly.

Good luck and I hope that you are feeling better soon.

Peny

Old 07-05-2007, 05:44 AM   #9
(female)

charpo HB User

I was using the afirin (i don't know how to spell it), but I didn't use anything else. She had me on two antibiotics and told me to use musinex which I bought the generic because of the cost, but I did get it with "D" on it, but I just started taking it. I wasn't taking it when I had my blood pressure taken at the doctors. I've been checking it and every time I check it, it's a little high at times 140/95, but not the 180/100. I'll have to go get the regular musinex because since I started taking it, it is helping some.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:22 PM   #10
(female)

violet312s HB User

Fellow bad cold sufferer here. Yes, your BP will go up - you're sick. Ignore it. Avoid anything with pseudoepinephrine in it (the D). However, if you are absolutely miserable and your BP is otherwise controlled, it's okay to take it sparingly (like only at night for 2-3 nights in a row at most).

I've found anything with guanfenesin works really well. I was surprised how much I didn't need a decongestant. Musinex is a high dose for me. I prefer a dose of Robitussen (200mg guaf per dose). Do whatever works for you.

Oh and antihistimines can help a bit depending if you're sneezing.

The more I read about cold care it's a bad thing to take decongestants - your body is trying to get rid of it. So lube it up and take guafenesin and help your body flush it out!

Old 07-10-2007, 03:32 AM   #11
(female)

leo_74_2006 HB User

hi there i'm christie and i believe i have a sinus infection with the pressure and all.i 've been having these very bad headaches and pressure all over my head from the back of my neck and such,but anyways we just moved over the last week so everyone was telling me it was probably just tension headaches but today i went to walmart and took my blood pressure and it was 148 over 109 i've never had high blood pressure ever so i 'm guessing maybe my sinus headaches are causing my blood pressure to rise,i just bought sudafed pe for the sinus problem and the walgreen's pharmacy tells me just a while ago to stop taking it to see if it goes back down some for me,i've only had like 1 hour of sleep tonite and now it's already 4:30 am the next day gosh i just can't believe this is happening to me.thanks,christie

The Following User Says Thank You to leo_74_2006 For This Useful Post:
Kathiblu (11-20-2011)
Old 07-10-2007, 03:48 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

penybobeny HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo_74_2006 View Post
hi there i'm christie and i believe i have a sinus infection with the pressure and all.i 've been having these very bad headaches and pressure all over my head from the back of my neck and such,but anyways we just moved over the last week so everyone was telling me it was probably just tension headaches but today i went to walmart and took my blood pressure and it was 148 over 109 i've never had high blood pressure ever so i 'm guessing maybe my sinus headaches are causing my blood pressure to rise,i just bought sudafed pe for the sinus problem and the walgreen's pharmacy tells me just a while ago to stop taking it to see if it goes back down some for me,i've only had like 1 hour of sleep tonite and now it's already 4:30 am the next day gosh i just can't believe this is happening to me.thanks,christie
To go from normal and having no history of high BP to 148/109 just from a headache is a huge jump... I would suggest contacting your Dr and having this looked into... there are conditions that actually have sudden onset high BP and headaches as symptoms along with flushing, sweating, racing heart and so forth that are VERY treatable and even curable as long as they are looked for!

Closed Thread