It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2007, 02:35 PM   #1
(male)

mluke320 HB User
inappropriate sinus tachycardia + chronic fatigue?

hello, i'm a 19 year old guy, skinny, good diet, jobless due mental + physical fatigue. went to gp - all blood tests were normal - was refered to a cardiologist because of fast resting heart rate each time i went to see him (120-130 bpm) and the result is that my heart is healthy except for my heart beating too fast (had a holter monitor fitted for 24 hours + other tests to rule out other heart conditions). i was on beta-blockers for 3 months... did intense exercise nearly every day for 4 weeks... felt worse as the days went on (also - my resting heart rate went from around 55-60 to 70 bpm being the new lowest a few days later - the intense exercise raised my resting heart beat or the beta-blocker's efficiency decreased in a matter of days??)... anyways i stopped exercising completely. i've been off the pills for one month, and i started doing light walks for 30-60 mins maybe two times a day, every day... and it has been goin ok (i haven't had to stop due to fatigue, i was/am in terrible shape so i'm trying owork on that since i figure mild exercise doesn't seem to make me feel so bad, although i've kinda had mixed results so far but i'll stick it out - on the 2nd night i went to bed not because i was tired, but purely my body was physically and mentally exhausted and could no longer preform - it's hard to describe... it's just like my heart is not pumping blood right but that cannot be right... so i went to sleep pretty fast, and slept for a long time, and woke up with aches on my back/neck and felt pretty horrible and very cold the next morning. i sound like such a wimp but trust me i'm not.

anyways, since i'm a guy, and i'm so young.... i can understand this not being an easy case for doctors... well he figures it could be IST, and it sounds reasonable after i searched it on ******... but the main reason i went to see a gp in the first place is because of this fatigue i have had for many years - not because my heart beats faster then it should (which i only became aware of when the gp brought it to my attention) - i've rarely noticed any palpitations. the fatigue has gotten especially bad in the last year (maybe due to me sitting on a computer chair all day and not exercising?). i used to be under a tremendous amount of stress for many years but luckily that has all been cleared up for the most part, and i'm much more mature and better equip to deal with stressful things when they arise, so my main concern now is why i'm getting fatigued so bad.

i don't really know what i'm asking here.... i mean i'm just puzzled.... no one knows what the problem is.... all lung and heart related problems have been ruled so that leaves IST......... but there is fatigue with me 24/7... it's not so bad in the morning but it is still there... i wake up from sleep and i'm never refreshed (no matter how long i sleep, sometimees 10-11 hours)... i always feel groggy and it takes 30-60 mins before i have the energy to get outta bed

i say this fatigue is chronic, but i read chronic means six months or longer....... and the thing is.... there are days, although very rare, where i feel 100% healthy, positive, all my symptoms disappear, i get 5-6 hours sleep and i hop outta bed in the morning, i'm so happy and positive during these days and i'm just thinking about all the stuff i can do, then i do exercise and it goes very well at first.... i feel fit, strong, alert, nothing can stop me.... but then the next day... or even hours later... the fatigue comes back... it makes no sense..... does exercise trigger it? but i went two months without exercising at all.. just walking to the kitchen for food... and i still feel bad all day long... my resting heart rate is still high (90-100 bpm)... i sweat under my arms when i'm just sitting down... i have an intolerance to coldness.... yada yada.... i could go on... nothing makes sense

my question is......... is there anyone out there who has IST and has also experienced this horrible fatigue all the damn time....... i was looking up IST on the **** and it specifically said fatigue (physical), whereas i get mental fatigue/brain fog aswell..... this is what bugs me the most... i cannot do anything beause i'm like a dang zombie when the bad fatigue sets in during any kind of physical activity... and even if i sit on a chair i start sweating and get fatigued.... anyways i'm just gonna stick with the daily mild exercise anyways, and go back on another supply of beta-blockers and hope that i somehow get healthy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2007, 08:47 PM   #2
(male)

Frodoh HB User
Re: inappropriate sinus tachycardia + chronic fatigue?

I am wondering if you suffer from low blood pressure.

How skinny are you?

Old 08-15-2007, 03:37 AM   #3
(male)

mluke320 HB User

hey thx for the reply

i forgot to mention that my blood pressure was actually a little on the high side everytime i got it checked, but not so high to cause any concern, but then again my pulse was also goin crazy (130 bpm at the doctors, otherwise it's around 90 bpm, or 70 bpm in the morning) so i dunno what effect that has on the blood pressure, if any at all...... i mean i was on beta-blockers to lower blood pressure + my heart rate...... and i felt much better in the beginning... but then again for the last month while on the beta-blockers, i actually felt like they were making me feel fatigued while sitting down - getting up and walking around would sometimes shake the fatigue off somehow, but it would creep back after 30 mins or so after siting down - but it was a different kind of fatigue to what i usually get......... also, i am skinny, but not to the point where i'm repulsive to girls - 5'11 - 135 lbs i think - but i am kinda slender + small boned + remember i've done very little physical exercise in the past year. my pulse is also sometimes incredibly weak after exercise, maybe it's down to my terrible fitness, who knows... i do feel like i'm improving with the daily mild exercise, i just gotta hope things improve more consistently, and if anyone can think of somethin just post i'll consider it

Old 08-15-2007, 10:37 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

we all been through this if anyone has fast heart rate.it is something else to deal with.then all the blood presure pills you take to get better .then they make you sick also.however we got to keep this palse down ..so you gotta do what you gotta do.does your palse race? how fast has it been up too?

Old 08-17-2007, 04:05 AM   #5
(male)

mluke320 HB User

see this is the thing, my heart rate really does not go crazy... it just beats quite a lot faster then it should. when i walk for one hour it starts at 85-100 (resting heart rate varies) bpm and gets up to a max of 120 bpm, which could be a normalish response for an out of shape person.

right now i've been doing mild exercise every day and i just fee. so weakened sometimes - joggin is outta the question because i almost feel a little bit of shortness of breath coming on... i just cannot seem to maintain a jogging pace (at least not yesterday). i really don't feel too bad with just walking... it's just my body gets so hot, even though i don't sweat badly, it's just an uncomfortable feeling... and of course i still have difficulty concentrating on things, and not surprisingly no one has replied and said they also had trouble concentrating on things all the time (not just after exercise).

i'll just have to take things easy and hope beta-blockers work some magic... either way things aren't as bad now that i'm exercising each day so that's encouraging.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:47 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mluke320 View Post
see this is the thing, my heart rate really does not go crazy... it just beats quite a lot faster then it should. when i walk for one hour it starts at 85-100 (resting heart rate varies) bpm and gets up to a max of 120 bpm, which could be a normalish response for an out of shape person.

right now i've been doing mild exercise every day and i just fee. so weakened sometimes - joggin is outta the question because i almost feel a little bit of shortness of breath coming on... i just cannot seem to maintain a jogging pace (at least not yesterday). i really don't feel too bad with just walking... it's just my body gets so hot, even though i don't sweat badly, it's just an uncomfortable feeling... and of course i still have difficulty concentrating on things, and not surprisingly no one has replied and said they also had trouble concentrating on things all the time (not just after exercise).

i'll just have to take things easy and hope beta-blockers work some magic... either way things aren't as bad now that i'm exercising each day so that's encouraging.
i think beta blockers can make you short of breath and feel weak,

Old 08-17-2007, 11:19 AM   #7
(male)

mluke320 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopesprings2 View Post
i think beta blockers can make you short of breath and feel weak,
well i was on em for 3 months already. i've been off them for about 5-6 weeks now and only started exercising again 1.5 weeks ago. i did notice some quite bad fatigue creeping on in the last 2-3 weeks of using them... but it's hard to say if it's down to the beta-blockers. long story short i did intense exercise for 1 month and felt really bad so i stopped exercising for the remaining 2 months.

they did infact reduce or get rid of a lot of the symptoms i used to get during exercise like shortness of breath (which could start after 2 minutes and forces me to stop exercising). i still remember how great i felt on the first day of taking the beta-blockers.

one thing is for sure... everytime i go up to the hospital i feel so bad, almost like fainting, shortness of breath, rapid heart rate, discomfortant in my chest, etc... and these are things i would not have gotten 1 year ago....... and they also seem to be related to IST.... so it's very possible i could have IST + something else

Old 08-17-2007, 12:52 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mluke320 View Post
well i was on em for 3 months already. i've been off them for about 5-6 weeks now and only started exercising again 1.5 weeks ago. i did notice some quite bad fatigue creeping on in the last 2-3 weeks of using them... but it's hard to say if it's down to the beta-blockers. long story short i did intense exercise for 1 month and felt really bad so i stopped exercising for the remaining 2 months.

they did infact reduce or get rid of a lot of the symptoms i used to get during exercise like shortness of breath (which could start after 2 minutes and forces me to stop exercising). i still remember how great i felt on the first day of taking the beta-blockers.

one thing is for sure... everytime i go up to the hospital i feel so bad, almost like fainting, shortness of breath, rapid heart rate, discomfortant in my chest, etc... and these are things i would not have gotten 1 year ago....... and they also seem to be related to IST.... so it's very possible i could have IST + something else
how fast does your heart rate go when you have to go to the hospital?
there is alot of things causes fast heart rate.like smoking,caffene,some medications,fevers and infactions,potasumm and magensum levels.and some times no reason they can find.o yeah and thyroid.when you go to the hosptial
how fast is it going and how long does it stay at that rate?

Old 06-25-2008, 03:53 PM   #9
(female)

wendyjo405 HB User

It's been a while, but I'm wondering if you found anything that helped you deal with this issue. I am 22 and suffering from nearly the same thing. I have been diagnosed with IST and put on several medications. The benefits of the medication have not out weighed the side effects yet. I have fatigue so bad it's almost unbearable. Some of which I credit to the medication. I'm a college student and I also work two jobs although I have cut back on hours to see if it helps with the fatigue - it hasn't yet even after 6 months. When I'm not falling asleep in the middle of the day, I'm in that fog/haze that you talked about. My grades have suffered severly because I find it so hard to think/concentrate. I've never really been a caffine drinker, but now I drink a cup or two of coffee just so I can make it through the day. I've seen two different electrophysiologists for about 2 years now. Still no remedy. I've been told that my only option besides medication is a pacemaker. I think I'm too young for a pacemaker. My resting heartrate is anywhere from 100-130bpm and has gotten to 200+ with a hard workout. I have found that working out really helps lower the heartrate and has made my body more tolerant to activity. Therefore, I started slowly and now try my best to walk 3 miles four or five times a week. Despite the fatigue, I drag my body to the gym and get it done. I hope to hear from you... and hope you have some tips to help adapt to this monster.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:14 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

kittyroo HB User

HAVE YOUR THYROID CHECKED ASAP!! All of this sounds really like a thyroid problem to me. If so, its a simple blood test. I would insist on it.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:11 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

what medications do you take for this?maybe they make your blood preasure low is why you feel tired.Or could your iron be low which can cause fast heart rate?

Old 06-27-2008, 12:17 PM   #12
(female)

wendyjo405 HB User

Thank you for such a quick response.

I had my thyroid checked about a year ago while suffering from the same symptoms and everything checked out perfectly. Perhaps I should get it checked again. It's definatley worth the try. I appreciate the advice!

More would also be appreciated.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:31 PM   #13
(female)

wendyjo405 HB User

Fatigue is a side effect of all of the medications I have been on for this. I've changed meds many times because the fatigue wasn't getting any better. I've been on Florineff, Pindolol, Nadolol, a few others, and I'm now on Metoprolol. It helps a little with the heart rate it by lowering it about 10bpm. The reason I'm thinking there must be something behind the fatigue is because even though I've switched meds and even gone off of them for long periods, the fatigue has never gotten better. At one point they did put me on Zolfolt thinking that it would 'relax the receptors' in my heart and therefore help lower my heart rate (it didn't), but while it did make me a bit more upbeat, I was still just dog tired.

I get my blood pressure checked every 3 months and the nurses always tell me it's where it should be. It hardly changes. My chart shows it only varying by a few numbers here and there. I think it typically stays around 110/70.

As far as the iron, I have been takng supplements with my medication. I take iron, calcium, and zinc. Also, I have a pretty good diet and eat a lot of green veggies so I don't believe the iron is a factor. The last time I had these levels checked(again, about a year ago), everything was fine. Like I said though, it couldn't hurt! So I will plan to get that checked as well.

Thank you again.

Closed Thread