It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2007, 03:11 PM   #1
(male)

nujai HB User
Question Sinus surgery Minor... or slightly major...?

I had sinus surgery and I'm confused. Seems like my expectations are out of whack or my surgery was more major than I thought. I thought I'd feel good after 2-4 days max. It's been 11 days and even though my nose is less plugged up, I feel as though I have the flu. It's hard to get going and I burn out within 1 hours, 2 maybe, when I'm doing something. If I ignore how I'm feeling, I eventually start feeling hot, nauseous, and as though I'm going to faint.

I had septoplasty, bilateral ethmoidectomy, and something called antrostomy although I don't recall the details of the last one. I'm told that there was a fair amount of bleeding. So I had some blood work done a few days ago and my iron is at 8 (instead of 12 to 32, I believe). So I'm taking iron supplements. My potassium is low as well so emphasis on that in the diet also. BP is high and my doc has increased my normal hbp meds.

Am I feeling like this because my surgery was significant and I'm still recovering, or is it because of the iron/potassium deficiency? Or a combination of everything? I guess, most of all, is this normal?? Are my recovery expectations out of whack? I'm not sure they expected to be doing as much work up they had to do in there, which could be why I was under the impression recovery would be faster.

I'm a little worried about this. I mean I feel genuinely bad. I can function but only minimally. I'm not 100% bedridden, but I can't be at anything demanding for too long or I get exhausted very quickly. That includes work on the computer. It feels like the flu. I'm cold, I'm warm. I don't have a fever though. I have to take some of the pain killers still, late in the day and they put me to sleep, which is great, but the next day it's hard to get up. But I have pain so I take the pills like I'm told to.

I don't know if I'm looking so much for a solution as I'm looking for some reassurance. The surgeon said that the healing is going very well (that was after 1 week). But he didn't say so much about my recovery, though he didn't seem to think that much of what was going on. My family doctor is concerned about getting my iron back up. Seems to think that that will help me regain my energy levels.

I'm feeling a little bit panicked. I have stuff to do and not able to do much. I guess I don't have a choice, I have to rest, but I'm not sure what to think and whether this is just normal and will start improving soon...

If anyone can offer advice, I'd appreciate it.

The following user gives a hug of support to nujai:
1mozart (06-23-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to nujai For This Useful Post:
1mozart (06-23-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2007, 06:33 PM   #2
(female)

mbbasketball HB User
Re: Sinus surgery Minor... or slightly major...?

I thought I was going crazy, but I have been feeling the same as you. I had my surgery done about 4 weeks ago. Today is the first day since my surgery that I did not have to take a nap. I also have low iron, so after a week after my sinus surgery, I had to get iron infusion. I was getting dizzy, faint, and tired as if I was when I am anemic. I guess the iron is starting to kick in. You have to remember that you did have major surgery and with prob general sedation. I know it takes your body awhile to recover from general anesethia. As far as the surgery success, I am not sure. I am still stuffy on one side of my nose and I am still getting dizzy spells if I turn my head too fast. I will be going back to the ENT in a few weeks, so I guess if I still am dizzy, I will discuss it with him. You may have to talk to your doctor about getting an iron infusion instead of taking pills if your levels are really low. I know that is what I have to do. Good luck

Old 10-07-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
(male)

nujai HB User

Hi mbbasketball, the anemia for me is not a usual thing. only was anemic once that i know of, when i was a teenager. they said it was because of blood loss, that's i'd lost a fair amount of blood, though i'm not sure how much. i presume my md is going to want to retest my blood fairly soon; i'm going back next week and will talk to him about infusions. i've never heard of that before, but as i said, this is not a problem i normally have.

about the success for me, well it's been only 11 days. and yes, i'm still quite stuffed up a lot of the time. but in the past few days i've had times when my nose is actually clear, but rarely both sides at the same time. seems to be easier to breathe than before from the right side. but i have a history of sinus-related migraines and interestingly, despite the fact i've had more headaches since the surgery (because i'm so stuffed up), i don't feel as much pressure as before and the headaches haven't been debilitating to the same extent as before. that was my biggest complaint so if it were to stay like now (same headache intensity, just less frequent), that would be a definite improvement.

the thing about the surgery is that i hear people say "you had major surgery" while other say "sinus surgery is minor surgery, or routine surgery." i really did not get enough info from the hospital and the doctor following the surgery and this is what has been the most difficult. but i did a lot of reading on the net. it's hard to interpret things because i'm not medically trained, but it sounds as though sinus surgery with septoplasty is a lot worse than sinus surgery alone. also, it sounds as though some of the sinus procedures are relatively simple, but when they start doing major things in there (removing and "reoarganizing" then it's another story. so because of the fact mine was definitely not totally simple and the fact it was combined with septoplasty, i guess it's possible that i'm more messed up than i would have been had it been a very simple intervention.

perhaps also the confusion comes from the fact that my CT did not show much in terms of issues, other than the right frontal sinus being smaller with a smaller opening, and the spetum deviation. but from what the doctor said, there was actually a lot to do in there. but still maybe what was planned and what actually took place is the cause of this being a more significant thing for me than i had anticipated.

anyway, thanks for getting back to me. it helps to hear what others go through, so that you know you're not going to be one of those people with horror stories. the say i felt better was the day that fainting spells started. i think i felt really good for a few hours and just started to operate like normal. then i got really tired, but had appointments, so i just kept going. that's when i realized things were not at all back to normal, and i started worrying.

anyway, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbasketball View Post
I thought I was going crazy, but I have been feeling the same as you. I had my surgery done about 4 weeks ago. Today is the first day since my surgery that I did not have to take a nap. I also have low iron, so after a week after my sinus surgery, I had to get iron infusion. I was getting dizzy, faint, and tired as if I was when I am anemic. I guess the iron is starting to kick in. You have to remember that you did have major surgery and with prob general sedation. I know it takes your body awhile to recover from general anesethia. As far as the surgery success, I am not sure. I am still stuffy on one side of my nose and I am still getting dizzy spells if I turn my head too fast. I will be going back to the ENT in a few weeks, so I guess if I still am dizzy, I will discuss it with him. You may have to talk to your doctor about getting an iron infusion instead of taking pills if your levels are really low. I know that is what I have to do. Good luck

Old 10-07-2007, 08:26 PM   #4
(female)

mbbasketball HB User

I also had septoplasty, polyps removed and sinus cleaning out. I had thicken sinus walls and fluid stuck in the cavity. The biggest problem I had was swelling of the sinus after the surgery. No one told me that really bad headaches were unusual. I suffered for almost a week, until I began to loose weight and could not sleep for more then an hour at a time, then I called my ENT. He said I had an unusal swelling from the surgery and put me on really strong steriods for three weeks. About two weeks after the surgery, I would get up and feel pretty good, then I would do something little like take a shower and I would have to lay down. I felt worse than I did before the surgery. The dizzy spell like I said still continues.
I think every person is different in how they recover from surgery. MY friend had sinus surgery and she was back to her normal self in a week, but her surgery was not as extensive as your or mine. There is not such thing as a minor surgery if you are put under general. The surgery might be routine for the doctor, but for the patient going through it, it is major.
The first benefit that I noticed or should I say my hubby was that I did not snore anymore.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:47 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

These are major sugeries. Sinuses are slow to heal. It will heal quicker if you keep up with a daily saline solution/ponaris nasal oil regime. 2x daily ponaris, 4x daily (min) Saline rinses.

It took 6-8 weeks to get the headache stuffy head bloody clogs out of my head. Then I was still healing at my 3 mo follow up. And at 6 mo. I was given the all clear. It will be a slow healing process, but you will begin to feel better gradually. After the 6-8 week mark I felt better than I had in many years.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 10-08-2007, 06:32 AM   #6
(male)

nujai HB User

Thanks to both of you for you replies. It helps. Really. I'd read similar things online, but no so specific regarding my own questions. I woke up able to breath through the nose some this morning. I think that's a first. Had a lot of junk in my throat which came ou well. I do a saline rinse per my doctor's recommendation. Up until about 3 days ago, so much stuff would come out, I could not believe it. For about 2 days now, there's a lot less blood. I'd say today is one of my best days. But I plan on taking it slowly because I know from experience that the "good" spells can be short-lived. I guesss I'll just have to adjust my pace for the next while. I just hope I can start doing some stuff. Up till now, I've been able to do very little. I'm also eating better and have more appetite now that i had for about 1 week after surgery. And I sleep well again. For almost one week after, I could not sleep much (like 1 maybe 2 hrs at a time, sometime just 10 to 30 min...) So the sleeping helps in how I feel. I'm glad I did the surgery because from how I feel, I get the feeling that my sinuses will have improved. I can already tell, despite all of the problems. But I just didn't expect to be so run down. The general anathesia I'm told is definitely a drain for many people. Well, again, thanks for your support.l

Closed Thread