It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2007, 01:53 PM   #1
(female)

ryleetn HB User
Sinus infection?

Anyone else having neck pain and stiffness and headaches with sinus infection, I know the headache is normal but the pain and stiffness in my neck is concerning

Old 10-28-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
(male)

Kis86 HB User
Re: Sinus infection?

well I have stiffness in my neck too but also my voice changed dramtically and is changing my social life so much! I don't wnat nobody to hear the way I sound anymore! I wanna feel good again! Any help could you post in my topic near the top.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2007, 12:50 PM   #3
(female)

wvpumpkin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryleetn View Post
Anyone else having neck pain and stiffness and headaches with sinus infection, I know the headache is normal but the pain and stiffness in my neck is concerning
I have stiff neck, sore neck, dizziness and very tired. Went to the doctor last night and he said sinus infection. i am taking zithromycin. I will keep you updated. So far I still feel horrible.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

The stiff neck and sometimes ear pain are often due to swollen lymph nodes pinching nerves. The headache is the result of sinus pressure induced by more goo up there than your head can contain with out pressing on sensitive facial nerves. Dizziness and nausea can occur as a result of retained and trapped ear fluid and excessive amounts of mucus dumping on the stomach. As the sinus infection breaks up and you start to drain aggressively, your throat will get sore and often when lying down you may feel like you are choking. Sinus infection are very inconvenient, and because they are in your head you can not ignore them.

Standard symptoms for a severe sinus infection:
Headache, facial pressure sensitivity, fever ~100 degrees, yellow green drainage down the throat, swollen tonsils and lymph nodes, sore throat, ear pain, dizziness, nausea..

When a sinus infection impacts.. drainage stops and your head pretty much feels like it is going to explode.

Treatment:
1) Antibiotics if it is bacterial - duration 14-28 days depending on severity of the infection.
2) Decongestant
3) Ph balanced Nasal spray rinsing - Pretz (OTC but pharmacy do not all ways keep it stocked and have to be asked to order it)
4) Nasonex or something like it - steroidal nose spray
5) Headache reliever of your choice
6) Drink plenty of fluids

You should feel improvement and begin to drain within the first 72 hours of your antibiotics. If not you may be facing a fungal infection or an antibiotic resistant infection and need different antibiotics.

Good luck to you.
Sincerely,
MG

Old 11-15-2007, 12:10 PM   #5
(female)

wvpumpkin HB User

Thanks so much for this help. Are you a nurse or doctor??? Just wondering cause you are very detailed with your information and I like and need that

Old 11-15-2007, 12:14 PM   #6
(female)

wvpumpkin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgbrook View Post
The stiff neck and sometimes ear pain are often due to swollen lymph nodes pinching nerves. The headache is the result of sinus pressure induced by more goo up there than your head can contain with out pressing on sensitive facial nerves. Dizziness and nausea can occur as a result of retained and trapped ear fluid and excessive amounts of mucus dumping on the stomach. As the sinus infection breaks up and you start to drain aggressively, your throat will get sore and often when lying down you may feel like you are choking. Sinus infection are very inconvenient, and because they are in your head you can not ignore them.

Standard symptoms for a severe sinus infection:
Headache, facial pressure sensitivity, fever ~100 degrees, yellow green drainage down the throat, swollen tonsils and lymph nodes, sore throat, ear pain, dizziness, nausea..

When a sinus infection impacts.. drainage stops and your head pretty much feels like it is going to explode.

Treatment:
1) Antibiotics if it is bacterial - duration 14-28 days depending on severity of the infection.
2) Decongestant
3) Ph balanced Nasal spray rinsing - Pretz (OTC but pharmacy do not all ways keep it stocked and have to be asked to order it)
4) Nasonex or something like it - steroidal nose spray
5) Headache reliever of your choice
6) Drink plenty of fluids

You should feel improvement and begin to drain within the first 72 hours of your antibiotics. If not you may be facing a fungal infection or an antibiotic resistant infection and need different antibiotics.

Good luck to you.
Sincerely,
MG
What decongestant would you recommend?? I usually feel loopy on sinus over the counter stuff. So would I get one that just says decongestant for nose/ head or what??

Old 11-16-2007, 05:44 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Decongestant: straight up psuedophedrine. The replacement that they have started selling in the US is only one third as effective because it has a very low absorption rate. It is better to show your ID and ask for the Sudafed behind the counter. You may want the Guaifenesin as well. This is an expectorant... helps with the hacking out of the muck. Mucinex has Guafenesin in it. You can get one with psuedophedrine in it as well.

WVpumpkin I am pretty sure you are looking at an impacted sinus infection. The ear pain and symptoms are normally the give away there. As to why certain antibiotics are better than others. Well all antibiotics are good in there own way. But sinus infections require specialized antibiotics that excel in fighting dark cavity infections. Z-packs are great for lung funk and bronchitis and many other systemic bacterial infections.. strep.. but the sinus cavities are low blood flow dark cavity regions. Thus you needed a stronger higher concentration antibiotic that thrives in said environment. Your 'Cillans, cephalosporins, and fluoroquinolones are the best at that.

If the sinus infection is impacted in the rear and ethnoid sinuses and not just in the maxillary and frontal sinus cavities you are looking at a need for longer duration antibiotics. When I was getting 6-9 impacted sinus infections a year I was staying on 21-28 days of antibiotics a month.. sometimes for 2 months in duration. If when you have finished your antibiotics you still have sinus pressure/ear pressure you need to call for a refill. Do not allow an antibiotic resistant infection to dig in up there. It is a horrible thing to have to fight off or get cleaned out by an ENT. You should begin to feel some pressure shifting in your sinuses. This is basically day two on your antibiotics. By tomorrow you should be draining out some of the infection.. especially if you start the antibiotics and saline rinses. You want a Nasal pH balanced saline solution.. otherwise the rinses will irritate and inflame the sinus membranes further.

My chronic sinusitis finally resulted in a tonsillectomy, adenoidectomy, and complete sinus roto rootering. Now? I am/have been sinus infection free for the last year. Gotta love it. I wish you a quick and speedy recovery.

Sincerely,
MG

Closed Thread