It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2007, 11:30 PM   #1
(male)

aagarwal8 HB User
Multiple Sinuses being formed after surgery

Hi,

I am 24 yrs old male, and I had my first surgery done for Left Inguinal Hernia on November 15, 2006. The doctors put in a mesh for treating hernia. After 10 days of surgery my stitches were removed, but i had a continuous fluid discharge from one of the stitches. Doctor continued dressing the wound, but after 10 days the wound suddenly bursted and a lot of yellowish-orange puss discharge was there. My doctor again put me on antibiotics and suggested the infection will be cured in a few days time.

This didnt happen, and when i got a sonography done on January 1, 2007, it was detected that there were multiple sinuses that were created inside, and a lot of puss collection. I underwent another surgery on Jan 5, 2007 where the doctors cleaned the infection and also removed the mesh that was put in the first surgery. They told that the mesh got infected. This time the wound was stitched after 10 days (on Jan 15, 2007), during which the doctors were doing a daily dressing of the wound. On Jan 26, 2007 4 stitches were removed and the remaining 4 were removed on Jan 31, 2007. But again there was a puss discharge from the wound.

This time again the CT scan showed multiple sinuses and puss collection, and i underwent another surgery on Feb 12, 2007. The wound was again opened and the infection was cleaned. The puss was sent for TB PCR culture, which came +ve and the doctors put me on anti tubercular drugs. The wound was not stiched for about a month, during which the doctors were dressing the wound daily. On March 15, 2007 the wound was stiched and a drain was put in so that any discharge could find a way out of my body. The drain was taken out after 7 days, and all the stitches were removed by 31st March.

It seemed that this procedure cured the problem, as i was completely fine for about a month. But on May 5, 2007, i developed a swelling around the stitch line, and dischrge started from the lower end of the stitch line. The doctor dilated and cleaned that area. But discharge started from multiple points on the stitch line. The doctors kept cleaning the wound with hydrogen peroxide for some time. All the while i was taking anti tubercular drugs.

Around first week of August i developed swelling on the right side of the stich line, and sonography suggested that there was thick puss collection there, and a track from the left side of the stitch line to the right side. The doctors took out some of the puss with a needle and the same was sent for AFB culture & sensitivity. I was operated yet again on August 17, 2007 and the doctors again cleaned the infection. This time also the wound wasnt stitched, and daily dressing was being done with Streptomycim powder. The AFB cuture came positive and i was diagnosed with tubercular infection. The puss was sent for 10 drug sensitivity which suggested that the bacteria were resisitant to a couple of drugs. The physician then put me on a separate tubercular treatment which is continuing till date.

The wound started to heal and contract and there was minimal or no discharge till about last week. Since then, the discharge has started again and there is a visible swelling above the wound.

If someone has had a similar problem in the past, please suggest what course of treatment should i follow. Its been over a year now and more than 5 surgeries....i am completely shattered and dont know what to do. If any doctors are out there on this board, plz suggest what i need to do.

Thanking you all in advance
Regards
Ankit Agarwal
91-9993036789

Last edited by aagarwal8; 11-06-2007 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Missed out a few details in the previous post

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread