It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2003, 05:22 AM   #1

mbr22 HB User
Post Sinus pressure pain without infection?

Hello everybody - can one have sinus pressure pain without having a true sinus infection? I have all the tell-tale signs of sinus pressure headache symptoms, but my sinus scans don't ever show an infection. However, I have tried about every other type of headache treatment in the book, and nothing seems to work.

I have a chronic, constant, dull aching pain around behind my eyes, temples and into face, jaw and ears (ears always feel prssured shut). It always feels as if I am congested, however it is always "clear" discharge (I have already tried tons of TMJ disorder treatments and chronic tension headache treatments with no relief). I want to go in a new treatment direction.

The thing is, when I bend over it feels like my head is going to explode from the pressure and pain, and I know that is a sign of sinus type headache. I have tried all the typical sinus meds - allegra, flonase, nasonex, claritan-d and claritan, chlortrimeton, sudafed, and many more - no help there.

Anyway, bottom line - since I have been through the ringer with first and second line treatments, could it hurt to try Endoscopic Sinus Surgery to see if that alleviates the constant dull pressure/pain ache feeling? It just seems like my sinuses are really swollen even if the sinus scans are negative. I'm just running out of options.

Thanks for any suggestions.
mbr

Old 04-17-2003, 06:45 AM   #2
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Since you say sinus x-rays don't show an infection then this is most consistent of severe sinusitis. Have you considered trying a good mulitvitamin and an antioxidant supplement. Since being religous about taking my antioxidant supplement I have not had a real case of severe sinusitis nor an ifection in 4 years now and I normally needed antibiotics 3-4 times per year for sinusitis or sinus infections. Also has the doc prescribed a strong anitbiotic to see if this helps at all. I would definately recommend the antioxidants though as this has been a life saver here.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2003, 08:11 AM   #3

mbr22 HB User
mlgable - thanks for the reply. I do take a multivitamin with antioxidants.

I have taken antibiotics in the past, however can you be more specific about what you are referring to by "strong" antibitoic? What drug, and how strong?

The pain and pressure I feel behind and around my eyes is so chronic, that I really need to find something to alleviate it. Headache-tension meds do not work at all. I just feel that maybe the sinuses located around behind the eyes are just not draining properly for some reason, and/or are just really sore for some reason.

thanks for the info!
mbr

Old 04-17-2003, 12:01 PM   #4

Fancy HB User
MBR22, Have you had an MRI done?

------------------
Fancy

Old 04-17-2003, 12:07 PM   #5

mbr22 HB User
Hi Fancy - I've had 3 separate MRIs, one of head, neck and my TMJs. I don't think I had one specifically for sinuses. Would the head MRI include my sinuses?

mbr

Old 04-17-2003, 05:18 PM   #6
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Sometimes with severe sinus problems you need to use a super strong antibiotic like Zithromax or a long term course of regular antibiotics say for a month or better. Since you sinuses are still bothering even with the vitamin and an antioxidant supplement I would consider seeing if your doc would consider a trial of long term aka a months worth of antibiotics and then change you vitamins and antioxidant supplements to something of better quality if they are not high quality supplements or increase the amount you are currently taking.

Old 04-17-2003, 10:58 PM   #7

Noah HB User
My symptoms are VERY similar. I did have the surgery, and it did not get rid of the headaches. (The only difference with me is I did/do have abnormal 'anatomy' of the nose/sinuses--blockages, deviated septum etc. )Antibiotics have not helped either. I wish I had an answer, but I am searching just like you.

Old 04-18-2003, 06:45 AM   #8

mbr22 HB User
Noah - If I do end up having the surgery, I am at least hoping that recovery side effects will be minimal. Did you have much pain after the surgery? Since I already have a bad sinus type pain, I don't want to wake up after surgery feeling worse.

Were you able to go back to work soon? Basically, what was recovery like? I see they have a laser-assisted endoscopic sinus surgery, and that it is suppossed to be minimally invasive surgery.

thanks for the info,
mbr

Old 04-22-2003, 06:54 PM   #9

georgia77 HB User
I have also had chronic sinus problems. I have constant headaches- particularly since I moved to the south. I have chronic inflamation (shown by a CAT scan) and a deviated septum. My doctor wants me to have surgery, but I have heard mixed reviews. Did the surgery help with anything??

Closed Thread