It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2008, 11:03 AM   #1
(male)

collegefbfan HB User
The Big Bad Sinus Infection

I guess that is what I have and what I have had. I would really appreciate any help you all can provide.

I went to the ENT doctor in November and he prescribed Cefrazil (sp?), and Singulair, and told me to get some Mucinex DM. I took all of the antibiotic, took some of the Singulair, and some of the Mucinex. I got better. Then, right after Christmas, it all came back. I went to the doctor again on January 17th. My little boy had had pinkeye and ear infections, and some type of respiratory infection. The doctor gave me Avelox and some codeine cough medicine. It helped and I got better. I was done with the antibiotic and a few days later, it came back again. I went back to the doctor just 12 days later than the last visit. This time he prescribed Omnicef and told me to take the rest of the Singulair and one Mucinex a day.

Is anyone on here having these types of sinus problems? Mine is mainly related to a stuffy head with plenty of gunk coming out. No real sinus pressure. I also do home remedy nasal flushes at least once a day.

Thanks.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Unhappy Re: The Big Bad Sinus Infection

HI there! I can relate to your sinus problem. I have been dealing with my sinus's for years. Most of my life. I have had chronic sinus infections. Stuffy head. Allergies shots, allergra, sudafed and nasal sprays. Tried them all. I have had people tell me to do surgery and then I have heard it is worse than the suffering I have had without it. People who have had sinus surgery come out no better in the end. For the most part.

So currently I am on my second round of antibiotics. The first one was a Z Pak. That didn't work. I must be resistant to it. Now I am on Bactrim. I took 5 of the 10 days prescribed because the side effects were getting to me. I actually have felt like the sinus's are getting better. But now, all the side effects are coming. One round of diarrea. (Usually there would be more) But I have weird things happening to me. Muscle twitches, tingling sometimes, my face feels weird like my cheeks tingle an my ears feel full. ( I do have fluid behind the drums) But I began to panick. I feel worse in other ways since being on the antibiotics. I already suffer from anxiety so this is not helping matters.

I decided to do some research on here. Come to find out. Antibiotics can be extremely dangerous and can give you side effects months and years after you take them. I have been on so many over the years. I am now searching for a homeopathic doctor and someone to help me detox my body. I think alot of us are being poisoned. I am going to finally make an appointment with an ENT Doctor which is long overdue. I guess I just wanted to come on here and find other people to talk to about this. It is so depressing and cumbersome to always deal with sinus trouble and drugs. I think that is what makes me depressed. I have been healthy my whole life, except for this. Can anyone relate? Do you have any advice? Any home remedies to clean out the sinus's and keep them going good? Thanks so much!!

Tammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2008, 01:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: The Big Bad Sinus Infection

Tammy-

If you are suffering from chronic sinus problems I can promise you that the surgery can be a huge help. You say in your post that "People who have had sinus surgery come out no better in the end. For the most part" but I don't know who told you that 'cause I can tell you that, in my case, and from many people you'll hear from on this board, it's just not true.

It is true that for people with chronic sinus disease it's common to have surgery repeated but that's usually after many years of relief from the first surgery (and if your problem is a deviated septum it's usually not something that ever has to be redone).

There are two keys to making the surgery work - the first is getting the underlying cause of you sinus problems under control (for most folks it's allergies, so everything from allergy shots to avoidance of the triggers to saline nasal rinses), if you don't do that the surgery won't solve the problem because your sinuses will get inflamed and irritated all over again.

The second key is finding an ENT who specializes in treating patients with chronic sinus problems (preferably at a university hospital or major medical center). There are lots of great office-based ENTs around who are doing everything from nose jobs to tonsillectomies but who aren't as skilled as they could be at the nuances of endoscopic sinus surgery. If you are going to see an ENT you should definitely find one who has experience treating sinus disease.

As for the antibiotics, you are correct that a very small number of people have severe side effects but be careful about the information you find online - there are lots of sites where you can find horror stories but nobody ever bothers to post success stories - the vast majority of people, including those of us who have to take them often, never have any problems with antibiotics.

One final thought - you might want to consider saline nasal irrigation using a SinusRinse bottle (available at just about any major drugstore) - I know that saline irrigation is the first thing my ENT recommends to everyone he treats for sinus problems - try irrigating 2 - 3 times a day and see if you start to see some improvement.

Good luck.

Last edited by gcsjr; 02-09-2008 at 01:25 PM. Reason: duplicate information

Old 02-09-2008, 07:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Thanks for the info! Would a Neti pot be the same thing that you are talking about? I got one tonight. I believe it has some packet of thing I mix up and put with water and then insert up my nose. I am kind of scared but at this point I will try anything. Sorry to be negative about the sinus surgery. I guess I haven't heard the great stories only the bad ones. You are right, I have chronic sinus problems. A life long disease I suppose. I am allergic to nearly everything green outsite, dustmites, mold, dogs and cats and some food. I don't know how it happened. I have done allergy shots but start and stop them all the time. I am really inconsistant with taking allegra and sudefed because I hate taking drugs. I am afraid of them and afraid they will damage my body or give me cancer. So I suffer and then get sinus infections because everything gets backed up. There has got to be some natural ways to take care of these sensative sinus's.
Always open to everyone's tips. Thanks!

Old 02-10-2008, 01:48 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

roses4lace HB User

I was using a neti pot and it did ok. My ENT suggested I use one of the squirt bottle types instead, because the neti pot is gravity flow, and the bottles give a little more pressure to flush out the gunk better. It sounds more gross than it is. After a while, I started looking forward to my "wash out" every morning, and anytime I get into some kind of odor or dust or around pets or outside in the pollen. Somewhere else on this board I posted a recipe for the stuff my doc gave me to put in the nasal wash if you want to make it yourself. Don't try to use just plain water, and make sure it's very warm, like body temp, or it will sting like heck! It must have at a minimum the salt.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

I second roses4lace's comments on the benefits of using the spray bottle vs. the neti pot, particularly since it sounds like you're sinus challenges are fairly severe. The SinusRinse bottle helps get more of the saline up into the sinus cavities (and roses is right - don't ever use plain water - it comes with pre-mixed packets but you can mix your own salt to add to the water) and once you get used to it the feeling can actually be kind of pleasant (although it will be weird at first).

There are other options but most involve a mechanical machine (water pik or grossan irrigator) that is kind of expensive and less convenient.

As for your concerns about the drugs, I understand - but Sudafed has been around forever - you might also consider Zyrtec instead of Allegra, Zyrtec is now available over-the-counter so you wouldn't have to worry about a prescription.

Give the SinusRinse bottle a try and hang in there.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:49 PM   #7
(female)

helgadog HB User

I can understand where you are coming from. My ent had me on prednisone 6 pills daily for 10 days themn 5 a day for 2 days and so on. I was also on clindmyicin 3 times a day for for 21 days and bactrim twice a day for 21 days. Felt better for about a week. Then headaches return fullness in my sinuses never any gunk its like its in there but it won;t come out. now find out there are polyps my left side was to congested even to insert the probe in the office to look. So back on another round of the drugs with sinus surgery this friday. Really can't wait so tired of headaches and just general blah feeling. Hope this helps you decide what to do,
helga dog

Old 02-19-2008, 05:24 AM   #8
(male)

arihalli HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegefbfan View Post
I guess that is what I have and what I have had. I would really appreciate any help you all can provide.

I went to the ENT doctor in November and he prescribed Cefrazil (sp?), and Singulair, and told me to get some Mucinex DM. I took all of the antibiotic, took some of the Singulair, and some of the Mucinex. I got better. Then, right after Christmas, it all came back. I went to the doctor again on January 17th. My little boy had had pinkeye and ear infections, and some type of respiratory infection. The doctor gave me Avelox and some codeine cough medicine. It helped and I got better. I was done with the antibiotic and a few days later, it came back again. I went back to the doctor just 12 days later than the last visit. This time he prescribed Omnicef and told me to take the rest of the Singulair and one Mucinex a day.

Is anyone on here having these types of sinus problems? Mine is mainly related to a stuffy head with plenty of gunk coming out. No real sinus pressure. I also do home remedy nasal flushes at least once a day.

Thanks.
My story is essentially the same.....about 3 years ago i started getting my allergies back (to all pollen) during the summer which brought sinus/asthma/nasal drip & acid reflux problems, .......i went on all sorts of antibiotics which did help for part of the time.....this year has been the worst as the frost has LONG since set in - and i still have sinus problems......i went on Ceftin/Cefdiner each and they worked for THAT period of time in easing the problem.....but each time i still get back the signs/symptoms and altho i freq shower and use nasal rinse - i still have the problem......mine came originally from allergies but since there is no goldenrod in the winter - i went to an ENT......he said i wasn't THAT bad but he felt the sinus surgery would help as there was a narrowing in the passages......i asked the Allergist to look at the CAT scan of the sinus's and she disagreed.....felt it wasn't necessary - perhaps an endoscopy she thought and she also felt i should seek another opinion.....which is what i am doing in 2 weeks......one lady at work had the sinus surgery and she felt much better - myself?....i am scared of the packing and unpacking....i have low pain threshold - but if the second ENT thinks its necessary i WILL undergo the procedure.....i hear its fairly routine and in 2 weeks or so - one should be back to work.......my wife has also suggested naturopath - but i once had poor experience with homeopath and i resist that option for that reason.......one thing i have learned is that EACH time i have sinus problems - i have to be careful with acid reflux.....big meals are out.....eat small meals......i don't know how much the acid reflux (which i believe was a byproduct of sinus problem) contributed to asthma - but i suspect it was partially to blame.......definitely a shower before sleep and sinus rinse EASES the problem......thanks for sharing your experience - it was like a mirror of mine.......

Old 02-19-2008, 05:32 AM   #9
(male)

arihalli HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcsmithjr View Post
I second roses4lace's comments on the benefits of using the spray bottle vs. the neti pot, particularly since it sounds like you're sinus challenges are fairly severe. The SinusRinse bottle helps get more of the saline up into the sinus cavities (and roses is right - don't ever use plain water - it comes with pre-mixed packets but you can mix your own salt to add to the water) and once you get used to it the feeling can actually be kind of pleasant (although it will be weird at first).

There are other options but most involve a mechanical machine (water pik or grossan irrigator) that is kind of expensive and less convenient.

As for your concerns about the drugs, I understand - but Sudafed has been around forever - you might also consider Zyrtec instead of Allegra, Zyrtec is now available over-the-counter so you wouldn't have to worry about a prescription.

Give the SinusRinse bottle a try and hang in there.

.GSsmith... thx so much for your input - i always read your posts with interest.......i have a few questions for board members......1.have they found that the GROSSAN or WATER PIC have been BIG improvements over the NETI/SINUS BOTTLE?........also, 2. has anyone found the ZYRTEC better than Allegra?.....and finally, 3. if i am allergie to all pollen and its 0 degrees up here in upstate NY....and the pollen has long since been killed off - is there really and benefit to antihisitimines at this point?.......i asked my allergist and she wavered on that answer also........i live in one of the sinus capitols of the world (binghamton) and people at work suffering from sinus state they do take antihistimines quite a bit - but if mine is allergy induced - is there really a benefit?.........tx so much for any help and sharing......

Old 02-19-2008, 10:25 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Here's my best shot at answering your questions:

1. Based on my experience and my ENTs recommendation, I switched from the WaterPik (which I used for 2 years) to the SinusRinse bottle and found that the SinusRinse bottle works better for me (although there are people who swear by the Grossan/WaterPik and who would tell you the opposite) - the Neti Pot doesn't work as well because it relies on gravity while the SinusRinse bottle allows you to spray the liquid up into your sinuses. For me the SinusRinse bottle gets a larger volume of liquid into the sinuses and is much cheaper, simpler, more convenient and quicker to use. The WaterPik was fine but it shoots a narrower stream and it seemed like you had to aim it in the right place to get the liquid into the nooks and crannies, plus the WaterPik attachment tended to cause some nosebleeds in places it touched inside my nose. My ENT recommended the WaterPik for several years but switched all of his patients to the SinusRinse bottle when they became widely available.

2. I'm not taking either right now but I preferred Zyrtec to Allegra - it seemed to be a little stronger (and the fact that Zyrtec is now available over the counter so you don't need a prescription is a huge plus in my book - I guess that depends on how much you pay for a prescription).

3. I can only tell you what my doc told me which was "the best cure for your symptoms will be cold weather". If your symptoms are pollen allergy induced you should be pretty safe this time of year - and one of the downsides of taking antihistamines in the winter is they can dry out your sinuses even more during this dry time of year (which can cause the mucus to thicken and the tissues in your sinuses to become more inflammed).

Hope all of that helps.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:07 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

I may try the sinurinse (?) eventually but i think for people are easily freaked by the sensation of irrigation the neti pot is a slow way to start. I searched and found some videos on how to do it. I wish i would have started irrigating years ago! The only thing that gets me is when the solution doesn't come out right away. For now it is helping me.

My family doc left me with the impression my body will take care of this. I went to urgent care in december and got a zpak, helped for a few weeks, then it came back worse.. urgent care again.. pure misery. They gave me 10 days of omnicef. I still had green mucous, knew things were not better enough. I can't miss 25hrs of work every time this happens. Then it dawned on me.. go to the allergist! since i improved on the omnicef he continued that for another 14 days and gave me a steroid shot. Well.. i feel better but can't sleep because of the steroids!

I totally feel for everyone going thru this

Old 02-20-2008, 11:46 AM   #12
(female)

helgadog HB User

Hello all,
I am 5 days post op sinus surgery. Doing well. Doc said i am doing a great job on the rinses wasn't much gunk to suction out today. This time has been far easier than the first. NO packing minimal bleeding very little pain. Go back in three weeks. Will continue on meds and rinses till then. Wish everyone luck with whatever you decide. For me this was the best option
helgadog

Old 02-28-2008, 04:01 PM   #13
(female)

stuffynose HB User

Nov. of '07 had 5 bouts of antibiotics perscribed. Nothing helped. Nose totally stuffed & pain. Have lived with about 4 sinus infections per year for last 6 years. Finally went to ENT, had CT scan, he removed many polyps, opened up the turbinates and flushed sinuses out. When I had stints & stitches removed (mildly uncomfortable), I felt reborn. I have not breathed this clear since I've been around 7 years old. I feel I have my life back. Nasonex was perscribed for maintenance. It causes heart palpitations in me, so I'm looking into a holistic nasal spray.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:41 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

Hi all my son gets sinus infection aprox every 4-6 weeks and anti biotics seems to be only a bandaide for the situation he's already on singulair zyrtec and nasonex and was getting allergy shots that didn't really seem to help after 2 yrs so i decided to stop torturing him. We have an appointment with an ENT in 2 weeks I was wondering how does he examine you , and how terrible is the post op pain if this is the route he is most likely to take he's much better prepared that not since he is on the nervous side and information tends to help him out.

any one willing to share I'd be grateful

Old 02-29-2008, 05:58 PM   #15
(female)

stuffynose HB User

My ENT sees many children. I was initially examined with a "warmed" scope used to look into my nostrils. The ENT saw several polyps. Then we made an appointment for a CT scan, painless. I'm not sure how they get children to sit still. In the past, the best way for me to ward off sinus infections was to avoid dairy, which cause my inflammation. Just a suggestion.

Closed Thread