It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2008, 10:34 AM   #1
(female)

BrandyBobs Lady HB User
Sinus Drainage Question

Hi everyone! Hope someone reads this and can help me if they have experienced this before.

At night it seems my sinuses are at their worst. When I lay down I plug right up and have to blow my nose and use Sinex to clear them so I can breathe. I also have a whitish drainage which I can see in the back of my throat. I always feel at times like my throat is thick with it and have to clear my throat and swallow. At night too when I lay down on my side I hear a rasping or squeaking noise and so I turn onto my back and it stops. What the heck is this? Any help is appreciated and if anyone knows of a way to stop it would be really, really, really appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by BrandyBobs Lady; 03-06-2008 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Added a word

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2008, 12:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: Sinus Drainage Question

What you describe could easily be tied to acid reflux - particularly the fact that your symptoms are worse when you lay down and the fact that your throat feels thick and you have to clear it.

If you have symptoms of heartburn it's very likely that what you're experiencing is somehow acid reflux related (and it's very common for asthma symptoms and post-nasal drip to be closely linked to acid reflux).

You might want to try PrilosecOTC for a couple of weeks to see if helps alleviate your symptoms. I would also recommend that you be very careful with Sinex - it can be addictive and can actually cause "rebound swelling" that will make your nasal congestion worse if you use it for more than a few days in a row.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2008, 11:22 AM   #3
(female)

BrandyBobs Lady HB User

Acid Reflux and my sinuses can be tied into the same thing? I never knew that before actually and never considered it as a possibility. My sinuses always seem to plug right up at night (gets worse in the summer though with the a/c on). Could be allergies too as you said. I have 3 cats (2 are mine and 1 is my fiancees), so between them and whatever else I feel like my nose is constantly plugged up. I hate the wheezy sound though that I get at night when I lay down on my side. My brother has allergies but I had never thought that I may have them. But these days I have been sneezing up a storm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcsmithjr View Post
What you describe could easily be tied to acid reflux - particularly the fact that your symptoms are worse when you lay down and the fact that your throat feels thick and you have to clear it.

If you have symptoms of heartburn it's very likely that what you're experiencing is somehow acid reflux related (and it's very common for asthma symptoms and post-nasal drip to be closely linked to acid reflux).

You might want to try PrilosecOTC for a couple of weeks to see if helps alleviate your symptoms. I would also recommend that you be very careful with Sinex - it can be addictive and can actually cause "rebound swelling" that will make your nasal congestion worse if you use it for more than a few days in a row.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

The link between acid reflux and sinus problems is something relatively new and doctors don't have it all figured out yet, but the two are commonly seen in the same patients and my doc has started treating his sinus patient who have symptoms of acid reflux for that as well - for me treating the acid reflux didn't cure my sinus symptoms but they improved significantly....acid reflux is a very common asthma trigger and they're now trying to figure out how it contributes to sinus problems (which in many ways are very similar to asthma, just in the nose rather than the lungs).

Old 03-14-2008, 08:36 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

The cats could definitely be an issue...Especially if the sleep with you. All allergists agree that when a person has a moderate to severe case of allergies, it's very important to have a "retreat" area to go to....Mainly the bedroom. If the cats are sleeping on your bed at all, that would probably significantly aggravate the situation.

Also, you mentioned that things are worse in the summer....That's when allergies are at their height, depending on where you live. Also, sneezing is a dead give away. I'd go see an allergist and get tested. At the very least, visit your GP....There are many safe and simple meds today to help.

When you lay down, the sinuses and ears all drain into the same pipes. Also, the "wheezing" you describe may be a mild form of asthma....Quite possibly caused by allergies in general and/or the cats.

Good luck.

Ex

Closed Thread