It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2008, 06:27 PM   #1
(male)

leeson HB User
there is yellow mucus in my nose. do i have a sinus infection?

there is yellow mucus in my nose. do i have a sinus infection?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2008, 06:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: there is yellow mucus in my nose. do i have a sinus infection?

Unfortunately, there's no definitive answer to that question. Sometimes a virus can cause discolored mucus so doctors typically look for other symptoms that are typical of a sinus (bacterial) infection - mostly thickened mucus, a fever, facial pain/pressure, and fatigue.

If you have those other symptoms you may well have a sinus infection - if you've just got a runny nose and yellow mucus it may be a virus that will clear up on its own in a few days.

The Following User Says Thank You to gcsjr For This Useful Post:
robtok33 (03-27-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2008, 09:54 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: there is yellow mucus in my nose. do i have a sinus infection?

Smith is correct in his answer. Also, if you have the "color" all day long, then it's more likely to be an infection. Many people have colored discharge in the AM for example. Face and/or teeth pain is a sure tail sign as well as a fever. If you have all three, you've got a sinus infection for sure.

Also, if it's determined that you do have an infection at some point, it's critical that you are antibiotic compliant...Meaning finishing all your meds. Many patients stop taking the antibiotics around day 7 when they feel better and then the infection returns at some point, or mutates into some other bug. Infections that aren't successfully cured in the sinus area can often form polyps and they can only be removed via surgery.

Good luck and hope you feel better.

Ex

Closed Thread