It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2008, 03:11 PM   #1
(male)

mole76 HB User
Levothryroxine and sinus infections or colds

I have had a cold and or sinus infection for 2 weeks. When is it safe to take cold or sinus medication? Has anyone noticed it takes longer to get over minor things with thyroid problems? Do you get colds easier? I never used to get sick, this winter I have been sick more than ever and it does not go away. If I do not work tomorrow I am going to go see my GP. Thanks for your help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2008, 03:48 PM   #2
(female)

Graves54 HB User
Re: Levothryroxine and sinus infections or colds

Yes, I always get sinus infections and colds easier with low thyroid. Some medicines might raise your bloodpressure, as it does to mine. I usually take a antihistimine rather then a decongestant, because the decongestants always raise my bloodpressure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2008, 05:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I went through two sinus surgeries, while suffering secondary hypoT and Hashimoto's unwittingly. It wasn't til eight months after my second surgery that thyroid dysfunction began to gel in my increasingly foggy brain.

I must admit. After getting window in every sinus cavity and over 50% of my sinus membranes scraped and burned out. I can breathe through my nose again and have had very few sinus infections. Before I was staying on antibiotics 9 months out of the year minimum.

MG

Old 03-19-2008, 08:39 PM   #4
(male)

mole76 HB User

MG,
I have never had a sinus infection that I know of, I think this is the first. I am self diagnosing my problem, until I go to the doctor tomorrow. Whatever it is has been with me for over 2 weeks, I woke up one morning with a sore throat and hacked up yellow thick phlegm every morning for 4 days...then poof no sore throat, but stuffy nose, headaches, and a heavyness in my chest. I can tell I have a build up of mucous sitting somewhere in my chest area.

Last time I had my blood results my TSH was down to 3.24, and I was on 50mcg of Levo. Should I have the doctor recheck my blood and possibly raise my levo? I do not like the way I feel right now, and you know doctors if you are near normal levels they keep you on the same dose unless there is a reason. Is there anything that has helped you with your sinus problems, besides surgery? Thank you

Old 03-19-2008, 08:47 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

If your TSH was 3+ and not 1 on a T4 supplement you need a dosage increase. Is your MD only using TSH to treat you by? If so.. you need a new one that will optimize your FT levels and get them in the 50-80% range.

You have classic sinus infection and bronchittis symptoms. Are you running a temp?.. for HypoT's or me and my mom and aunts 99 degrees seems to be equivalent to the 100.4 bench mark.

MG

Old 03-19-2008, 09:07 PM   #6
(male)

mole76 HB User

I have felt like I was running a fever a few times, but I was actually low last time I checked. The whole way I found that I am hypo was because I went in after being sick for a few weeks in December. My TSH was 6.72, and the antibodies were sky high, over 1000. She put me on 100mcg and it was too much, too fast. So as Mkg suggested I went down to 50mcg and after first results it went down by 50%, which is close to the high of normal range. I felt much better than when at 6.72, then BAM...this will not go away. I have 100mcg levo, should I try and up it myself? I was just splitting the 100mcg in half everyday, because at first I was having hyper symptoms. Now that my body is adjusted to it maybe it wants more? I have been on Levo for over 2 months.

Not only do I have the sinus problems, I just do not feel right. Similar to before starting on Levo. I have a wierd persistant feeling in my body. Kinda like when you are lacking sleep. If you have ever lacked sleep for days on end you know what I mean, it is not a good feeling. Your body feels very odd, and not healthy. But for a month and a half I felt great. Do you think this is just a conicidence or could my thyroid have something to do with it?

Old 03-20-2008, 02:09 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

You need an level recheck. If it has been 2 months since starting at 50 mcgs.. given you TSH and the high antibody levels.. (confirming Hashimoto's?). You most likely need a boost to 75 mcgs. Try and work up to 100 in 4-6 week increments. What are your FT levels? Have you had the FT levels tested? It is possible that with antibody levels as high as yours.. more of it has been killed off and you need more thyroid hormone to replace that lost T4 production by your dying thyroid.

Get new FT levels drawn and post your results. It could be you need more meds or you could have adrenal issues messing things up as well. Your blood will tell.

MG

Old 03-20-2008, 02:39 PM   #8
(male)

mole76 HB User

I had my blood drawn on 2/11, they did not check the antibodies again, but did check T3, T4 and TSH levels. Here are the numbers.

T3 178 range 60-181
T4 1.1 range .8-1.8
TSH 3.96 range .4-4.50

The results from previous blood on 1-2-08 are.
T3 149
T4 1.3
TSH 6.84
Thyroglobulin Anitbodies 62 range <20
Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies >1000 range <35

I went to the doctors today, and got antibotics for sinus infection, and asked her about the levels. She says since the TSH is in Normal range that she wants to wait until June to test me again. I mentioned to her that I could have an auto immune disease, and she told me to ask her husband...my real GP. He was not in today, and he is usually who I see, but he is who called me with the results a month ago and told me to keep on with the 50 mcgs until June. She also said I can go see an Endo if I like. I told her that my number was just under the normal range according to the ranges, but could be better...she blew me off. Doctors do not like to be questioned about their decissions. I agree with you, I think I should be boosted up to 75mcg, the problem is I cannot afford to take time off of work to see an Endo. I just returned from being laid off, so taking a day off is out of the question. What should I do?

Old 03-20-2008, 03:00 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

COULD HAVE? That is what your antibody levels tell you. You have a seriously active case of Hashimoto's thyroiditis. You also are not normal by the A A C E guidlines for thyroid function. The range was readjusted in 2002 to .3-3.0 being the normal range for TSH and an optimal TSH is between .89-1.1. You are also very unbalanced in your T3 and T4 levels. This points to adrenal fatigue/adrenal insufficiency.

You need your ACTH and a 24 hour cortisol test done. Until you get your FT levels balanced.. you will not be able to optimally medicate your condition. If you push too much T4 into your system you are going to be thrown hyperT in the T3 range while remaining hypoT in the T4 range. This is unacceptable. Fight for optimal care. You are not getting it.

SIncerely,
MG
Your current MDs are not thyroid savvy and are just barely meeting your needs.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:11 PM   #10
(male)

mole76 HB User

So I should go see an Endo? If you remember my posts in January, my MD put me on 100mcg of Levo, and it was giving me hyper symptoms. So I called and told them, they said take half, so I have been taking 50mcg per day every since. I have no idea if the levels are different now, it has been a month since last blood test. I think waiting until June is too long, I have a feeling my body wants more now. I have had this stupid sinus infection for 3 weeks, and on top of it I feel like I did before starting Levo.

I am not thyroid savvy myself, so when I look at the T3 and T4 levels I assume they should be around 50% of the higest normal level. T4 is close to that, T3 is not. Also my MD said the antibodies would not change, so they did not test them again. Is that correct? Also, when taking sinus medication, how long should I wait after taking Levo? "You need your ACTH and a 24 hour cortisol test done." I do not know what that is. You know what sucks about doctors? They do not let you in on anything, they give you the bare minimal information. If I have an auto immune disease I want to know all about it. I may have to find a new doctor! Thanks for your help MG!

Old 03-20-2008, 08:51 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, I remember. And no you shouldn't wait. It may take you til June to get into an Endo. And Endo might work for you, if they are specialized in thyroids. Many endos with other specialties will not look any further than your current MD. Prepare yourself, I am going into lecture mode.

You might want to look for a more tyroid savvy Internal medicine MD or GP to get your basic blood tests ordered. I found mine via the Armour thyroid physician locator database, using my zipcode. My Endo was a bust. I use an IM. Maybe you can find one that way as well. An Endo is not necessary for management of your thyroid. What you need is someone who knows thyroids and the quirks of Hashimoto's.

Here is the optimal dosage adjustment regime, for normal thyroid dysfunctional patients. Start at 25 - 50 mcgs of T4. Hold at that dosage for 4 - 6 weeks. Test your FT3 and FT4 levels. Look at the percentages and evaluate your symptoms. If you still have hypoT symptoms and your FT3 and FT4 levels are in balance and below the optimal 50-80&#37; range. Bump up another 25 mcgs. Repeat until you optimize. Optimization is when you have your FTs with in 10% of each other and the FTs are in the 50-80% range of normal. For a woman of child bearing years that wants to have children, you need to have your FT4 in the 60-80% range.

Now in the case that you are not balanced, i.e. your Ft3 and FT4 levels are not with in 10% of each other. You need to find out why you are imbalanced. This can be down with another round of blood work. Most common issue is low T3 and high T4 where you are converting T3 to the inactive RT3. This is not your case. The other cause for low T3 and high T4 imbalance is high cortisol/low ACTH. Also not your problem.

Now when T3 blood concentrations are high (you are at 97.5% in the normal range for your T3 measure test) and the T4 levels are low (you are at 30% of the normal range). You are overconverting T4 to T3 in your liver. Why? Main cause is low cortisol /high ACTH. Cortisol is a stress hormone produced by your adrenal glands that suppresses T4 to T3 conversion. High cortisol.. highT4/low T3.. Low cortisol.. high T3/low T4. ACTH is another of the pituitaries calls for cortisol to be produced. If the ACTH is high the pituitary is screaming for more cortisol.. like the TSH is its scream for more T4. A high ACTH and a low cortisol.. you are looking at failing adrenal glands.. and a form of Addison's disease and a need for cortisol supplementation like you need T4 supplementation. In your case.. and mine. We do not need T3 supplementation, but suppression instead.

So what do you need? You need a new MD or you need to order/badger your current MD into writting a lab script for the following tests:
For your thyroid function: TSH, FT3, and FT4, T3 Uptake
For your adrenal function: a fasting blood serum ACTH, DHEA sulfate, blood cortisol, and 24 hour rhythm saliva cortisol test.

This can be done on your insurance given your Hashimoto's, thyroid hormone imbalance and fatigue and symptoms. It isn't rocket science or brain surgery... managing thyroid issues take an open minded MD willing to get to the source of your problem by deligence and listen to your symptoms. You have to keep up with your symptoms on a daily basis.. even the little ones and keep on top of your own care as well. It is a partnership and you and your MD have to work together. Hope this helps. You are more tolerant than I.. I would have given an MD like yours walking papers a while back.

Sincerely,
MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 03-20-2008 at 09:01 PM.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:27 PM   #12
(male)

mole76 HB User

MG,
Thanks for the low down on my situation. I will look on the Armour website for an MD in my area. I have been doubting my MD ever since this whole thyroid problem was discovered. The only thing I can be thankful for is that I found out. I have had a lack of trust for doctors for a long time, and I really liked my MD until then. I just want to see a doctor that knows what they are talking about, and has my best intrests in mind. Not just get it close and wait to see if I get worse in a few months. Just like you said your Endo was a bust, I do not want that to happen to me either. I should not have to badger a doctor to do their job! I want someone who takes charge, that is what their job is. I have already questioned her and the answer is wait til June...I think not! Neither of them have said "You have Hashimoto's". You say I do, and by looking at the numbers it seems right.

I do not want to do the bare minimum, I do not want to get worse...I want to get better and stay that way. I am affraid this will be a vicous cycle if not taken care of properly. I agree with you, your doctor should listen to all of your symptoms and work with you, mine seems to be too narrow minded. I will find a new MD, and hopefully they will be more openminded. I want a doctor who looks at my numbers and is willing to make adjustments to get me in optimal ranges, not just close. Thank you for your support, I will go on the Armour site now and see who is in my area. I will keep you posted. Thanks again!

Old 03-21-2008, 06:36 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

If you give me your city I can dig up a list for you with in 50 miles of you.

MG

Last edited by moderator2; 03-22-2008 at 07:33 AM.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:29 PM   #14
(male)

mole76 HB User

50 mile radius of Rochester, MI. Thanks!

Last edited by moderator2; 03-22-2008 at 07:33 AM.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:12 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Here are those with in 10 miles of you.

Abdulsala Al-kassab, MD - Internal Medicine - Rochester
Jay Sandberg, MD - Internal Medicine - Troy
Samson Kpadenou, MD - Internal Medicine - Sterling Heights
Gerald Keyte, MD - Family Medicine - Washington
Steven Margolis, MD - Family Medicine - Sterling Heights
Vahagn Agbabian, DO - Internal Medicine - Pontiac
Elmer Kozora, MD - Obstetrics & Gynecology - Bloomfield Hills

Within 10 - 20 miles of you.

Kenneth Kulik, MD - Internal Medicine - Troy
Barry Meyer, MD - Internal Medicine - Warren
James O'neil, MD - Pediatrics - Clarkston
Everett Rottenberg, MD - Rheumatology - Southfield
Paul Parente, MD - Family Medicine - Farmington Hills
Jeffrey Parcells, MD - Family Medicine - Saint Clair Shores
Diane Culik, MD - Family Medicine - Eastpointe
Kathleen Kleinert, DO - General Practice - Livonia
David Schindler, MD - Family Medicine - Livonia

With in 20+ miles of you:

Susan Williams, MD - Family Medicine - Livonia
Rakesh Patel, MD - Internal Medicine - Livonia
Belal Abdallah, MD - Internal Medicine - Dearborn
Janice Summers, MD - Family Medicine - Northville
John Rosella, DO - Family Medicine - Milford
Ruth Kozlowski, MD - Rheumatology - Milford
Veerabrahmam Prathikanti, MD - General Surgery - Goodrich
Satish Kamath, MD - Internal Medicine - Dearborn
Dennis Pank, MD - Family Medicine - Grand Blanc
Malcolm Williamson, MD - Endocrinology, Diabetes, & Metabolism - Trenton
Gerald Natzke, DO - Family Medicine - Flint

Okay there you go. Call and talk to them and ask about there general thyroid practices. There is one Endo on the list 30 some miles away. I use an internal medicine MD. I like them better for a GP because they are more familiar for the fundamental system and quirks that can arise. The Endos in my area are not thyroid savvy, so anything beyond the basic hypoT condition is a bit hard for them to acknowledge or handle.

Hope this helps.
MG

Closed Thread