It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2008, 09:47 AM   #1
(female)

sickntired20 HB User
chronic sinusitis- bloodshot eyes- connection?

I have been just recently diagnosed w/ chronic sinusitis & deviated septum.
I am on antibiotics, and a nasal spray. My eyes are extremely bloodshot, but no gunk in them at all. I have been to an ENT, and the ER twice. They keep telling me different scenarios. I was treated for conjunctivitis, but it only worsened. Now they are saying it could be from my sinuses, and must be treated by the antibiotics. I am seeing floaters mainly in the right eye, and my vision seems to have slightly worsened. Hard to tell, seeing how I am blind as a bat naturally. But, I am fully aware that something is NOT right, and I am having a hard tinme getting the proper diagnosis.

Could this be directly from my sinusitis? (I have had this condition for a long time..was not aware)

What else could it be with my symptoms? any advice? Thank you.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User
Re: chronic sinusitis- bloodshot eyes- connection?

I believe it can be from the sinusitis. I had one eye that was a little pink for a couple of days.

Have you had a cat scan of yoru sinuses yet? I just finished 38 days of omnicef.. hang in there. Have you ever irrigated your sinuses? i started using a neti pot and it has done wonders

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2008, 05:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

your screen name is what caught my eye... i have been sooooooooo tired of being sick and tired for MONTHS

Old 03-25-2008, 08:26 PM   #4
(female)

sickntired20 HB User

I have had a CT. and it revealed that I do indeed have inflamed sinuses.
I am also sick and tired of not being able to breathe well, and always having to blow my nose (for lack of better words). My CT shows I have chronic sinusitis, and a deviated septum. I am now on 30 days of antibiotics, and some nasal spray.

Can you explain your alternative treatments more to me? what does irrigated my sinuses mean? etc...Thanks for your advice

Old 03-27-2008, 01:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

I irrigate my sinuses using a neti pot. I started with a kit that had everything in it. It just had the non iodized salt (important!). I prefer the sinucleanse packets..they have the salt and some baking soda premixed. I add some glycerin for the dryness. I wished that i had started it years ago. Do a search on the neti pot.. there are videos online that you can watch before you buy. Some people use a bulb syringe, squeeze bottle or even a water pik with a special attachment.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:36 PM   #6
(male)

gastroguy1965 HB User

I've been having the same problem, but I started with an opthamologist. I spent 3 months with him trying to figure out what the problem was with my eyes, then I started to get pain in my face, and thought to think about sinuses. The eye drops were fairly useless.

Anyway, I got a lot of relief by using a hypertonic nasal saline spray, and then I switched to a hypertonic saline wash (google nasal irrigation). I've got an appointment with an ENT in 2 weeks. It seems there is a pair of sinuses near your eyes that can get infected. There is a bunch of literature on this in Pubmed, but it gets published in ENT journals, not in opthamology journals, so eye doctors don't know about it. Hope that helps. -gg

Old 03-30-2008, 12:47 AM   #7
(female)

Noturningback HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickntired20 View Post
I have been just recently diagnosed w/ chronic sinusitis & deviated septum.
I am on antibiotics, and a nasal spray. My eyes are extremely bloodshot, but no gunk in them at all. I have been to an ENT, and the ER twice. They keep telling me different scenarios. I was treated for conjunctivitis, but it only worsened. Now they are saying it could be from my sinuses, and must be treated by the antibiotics. I am seeing floaters mainly in the right eye, and my vision seems to have slightly worsened. Hard to tell, seeing how I am blind as a bat naturally. But, I am fully aware that something is NOT right, and I am having a hard tinme getting the proper diagnosis.

Could this be directly from my sinusitis? (I have had this condition for a long time..was not aware)

What else could it be with my symptoms? any advice? Thank you.
I had the same problem with sinusitis but, nothing with my eyes. I went around being miserble for a year and a half with constant post nasal drip. I finally went to the ENT and he tested me for strep. I was in no pain and thought for sure that would come back negative but, I was wrong. So he gave me antibiotics. The antibiotics didn't change a thing for me. I had a CAT scan and I too have a deviated septum.

I was then tested for allergies and BINGO - I have indoor/outdoor and food allergies. They are all moderate to severe. I'm a perfect candidate for immunotherapy. I would have NEVER thought allergies. It was hard to figure out because I have so many year round allergies. My husband actually caught it when one day I told him I started having coughing fits in the car. He noticed tons of pollen on my car from a cedar tree. Sure enough cedar season, which is what we are currently in, is on the severe level.

I really have to bow down to those suffering from sinus problems and allergies. I always thought of allergies like a mild cold-like feeling that would go away in a few weeks. I thought people with allergies had itchy eyes, drippy nose and sneezed a lot but, would be over it shortly. I didn't think I fit the criteria of an allergy sufferer. I didn't even have sinus pressure often. I was put on a few allergy meds - zyrtec, singulair, flonase

A year later, I can say I am 98% better but, when the pollen count is high, I still feel like crud.

After a year, I started having tonsil problems from all the post nasal drip and allergies. They caused tonsil stones and chronic tonsillitis. I again never had pain but, had other daily annoyances such as tonsil stones which made my throat feel like peanuts were stuck constantly in the crypts of my tonsils, occasional bad breath from the bacteria stuck in my tonsil crypts, constant clearing my throat, low grade fever, high white blood cell count which equals the fatigue and sick feeling you walk around with 24/7

I'm now Day 10 post-op tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy. My ENT said they were "bad" - whatever that means.

I hope the T&A plus a low carb diet and allergy meds will finally bring me relief.

I don't know if any of my story mimics what you are going through. I hope my story may help you or others and encourage some to get tested for allergies. That way, you may not have to suffer needlessly. I didn't have any "classic" symptoms of allergies and never even thought of allergies, again, until my husband put two and two together for me. Even then, I doubted it. I thought it was something more physical like my deviated septum.

Best of health,
~Danielle

- Woody Allen

Last edited by Noturningback; 03-30-2008 at 12:53 AM.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:32 AM   #8
(female)

jdn5764 HB User

I've been having odd eye issues. I went to an eye specilist last week, who thinks it could be sinus related wondered if anyone else has this.

Eye feels as if the tissues are swollen, and it feels as if my eye is being pulled towards my nose. Vison also seems to block off. It is blurred also.

My other eye is lazy so I depend alot on this eye, but at the moment I can't do much. Its been like this for nearly 3 months.

Could sinuses do this? And how would they treat it.

I have pain and alot of discomfort. Its so distressing and life destroying.

Closed Thread