It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2008, 02:23 PM   #1
(female)

carole67 HB User
Severe Sinus Pressure behind head, ears

My name is Carole and I am allergic to mold and dust mites.
Even though it is not severe, I am very sensitive at this time
of year, June. I don't get the usual allergy symptoms.
I get severe pressure behind the head, under the eyes -
across the face to the temples, behind the ears. I use the
netti pot to get the congestion out. I started using motrin
600 mg for inflammation. I don't have sinus disease.
I suffer with pressure, inflammation. Has anyone ever heard
of this or any suggestions???? Thanks, Carole

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2008, 09:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User
Re: Severe Sinus Pressure behind head, ears

It definitely sounds like allergy-induced sinusitis. I had this for ages (one sinus infection lasted over a year because I didn't go to the doctor for help with it). A trip to the doctor can help you clear this up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2008, 09:54 AM   #3
(female)

Malaperty HB User

I've had this for three weeks. About a month ago, I had a regular sinus infection with drainage, cough, etc. I've had many of these in my life due to hay fever allergies so I know it when I have it. I got an antibiotic then and it cleared up. The next week or so, I started with this sinus pain. In the bridge of my nose, my cheekbones, my upper jaw, my forehead and temples. Not pain but pressure. LOTS of pressure....which does hurt, after 3 weeks. Primary dr said sinusitis and gave antibiotics. Urgent care dr said he had no clue but upped my antibiotics to a azithromycin and gave me methlyprednisone and mucinex d. Mucinex did nothing as I have NO drainage. Still no better. Two days later I was at primary's office again. He gave me nasacort and allegra d and pain meds. Day 1 on pain meds, I felt no relief, day 2, some, day 3 felt good, day 4, pain again. Now, without pain meds, I'm feeling really awful again. I saw my dr *again* - I'm so tired of sitting in waiting rooms and paying co-pays for drs to guess without really TESTING. This time, he says, it's a tension headache and gives me migraine meds. I took that last night before bed and feel worse than ever this morning. After reading up on tension headaches, it does sound like what I have *except* that I can feel a change in pressure when I lie down versus standing up - or when I turn over to the other side when lying down. Also, I feel lightheaded/dizzy and elevators really hurt. This sounds like a bad sinus issue to me??????

So when you say that a quick run to the dr can fix this, I'm wondering if you can be more specific! Apparently not MY doctor. I don't have an ENT but I'm about ready for a lobotomy.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

My journey became better after a trip to the ENT. They did a CT of my sinuses, and after seeing it booked me for surgery. I had the surgery and a couple of days later felt like a human being again.

For the original poster on this topic- the trip to the doctor that I mentioned is recommended because antibiotics are the first (and usually best) course of treatment.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:11 AM   #5
(female)

Malaperty HB User

Thanks for the info. Since my last post, I made an appt with an ENT and actually got one for this afternoon. I'll update when I get back.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:47 PM   #6
(female)

carole67 HB User

Did you ever try the Netti Pot (Sinucleanse)??? It really works wonders.
It looks like a small tea pot and it comes with a saline solution. You put
half the saline soultion into the pot with luke warm water. You place the spout
on your left or right nostril tilt your head over the sink and the water comes out
from the other side of your nostril. When you see the water is slowly dripping
out you blow out all the crap that is stuck in your head. You can look up
Netti Pot on line and they will show you how to do it. Try it! It works.
It gets out all that congestion. It is also helps post nasal drip. Carole

Old 06-28-2008, 04:42 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

calidreaming HB User

dust off kid-
what surgery did you have? what problem did they find?

and what symptoms did you have for a year?

Old 06-29-2008, 08:38 AM   #8
(female)

Malaperty HB User

I went to the ENT, for all the good that did me. It was my first (and last!) visit. He rushed me in and out - over to xray (at least he did do that) - then rushed me back into an exam room. Barely looked at me. NEVER sat down and *listened* to me. Just kept asking about my seasonal allergies - never wanted to talk about this current issue. Told me that I needed to set up for allergy shots...oh and he gave me a kennilog(sp?) shot - high dose steroid - to "get me through". That did a fat lot of good. I went home in tears thinking I'd have this pain for the rest of my life. I was very depressed Friday night.

On Saturday, still no change. I vented to my husband for a while about stupid doctors and health care and all that. If another business treated me the way doctors and pharmacies do, I'd ask for my money back!! It's outrageous what they get away with. Anyway, I had a brainstorm Sat afternoon. Somehow, I had a thought - what if this pressure really is allergies? What if the Allegra he gave me just isn't doing its job? What has always worked for me is the Tylenol Allergy but I usually just take 1/2 a dose because it makes me drowsy. So I took the full dose and hoped for the best.

I felt really good all afternoon. The pressure wasn't totally gone but wow, it felt very tolerable. I no longer want to shoot a hole in my head so it will relieve the pressure. Only after I started thinking about it, do I have a vague memory that when I was pregnant, my OB said the only thing I could take was Allegra and that it didn't work and I was miserable.

So WHY didn't ANY of my doctors recommend another type of allergy med????? If it's that simple (and I still feel really good today), WHY the bleep didn't they suggest it to me?? Oh I could just screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeam.

Anyway, posting this so that maybe someone else might try a different allergy med and have a 'cure'. Best of luck to you!!

Old 06-29-2008, 08:40 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

calidreaming HB User

yeah the only thing that relieves my pressure to tolerable is benadryl. over the counter benadryl.

ive tried all sorts of perscriptions. atelin, flonase, hydroxysomething, claritin, etc.

right now i take benadryl at night and a claritin in the day. its tolerable..but sometimes i get very stuffed up, dizzy and sleepy by evening time. i have not had allergy testing but wonder if its worth even doing?

i had a cat scan in january and sinuses were not blocked, just inflamed.

so allergies it is. i have noticed when im working out my nose just RUNS? does this happen to anyone? could it be a material or area im allergic to. its very odd.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:51 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson85 View Post
dust off kid-
what surgery did you have? what problem did they find?

and what symptoms did you have for a year?
I had pressure, pain, blockage.... the pain was pretty awful and the allergist sent me to an ENT. The procedure was the "up your nose with a rubber hose" procedure, where they went in, sucked all the nasty stuff out and then went about making the holes between my sinuses larger so that they would drain properly in the future. They also removed parts of some of the bones in there for the same reasons.

It will differ from patient to patient, depending on individual needs.

Closed Thread