It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2008, 02:04 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User
Sinus drainage causing acid reflux?

I have been dealing with crappy sinus issues for a while now. For the last week my throat feels like it is on fire and so does my nose!!! It is awful burning. Is it possible that my sinus drainage is flaring up acid reflux?

Old 07-11-2008, 08:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User
Re: Sinus drainage causing acid reflux?

Very possible. I deal with the sinus issues every day. Can be just sitting still and all of a sudden I feel like my sinus is full and I'm going to choke or something. Treating LPR/GERD/Asthma/Allergy have seen every spec there is and I still continue to have these symptoms. It's very, very frustrating. I would lose my voice for months at a time but that has not happened for over 6 months? One Dr. will say allergy yet another will say they can see the results of LPR. Have you tried saline rinses? I rarely get anything out but for some reason it seems to help that mucus feeling. Also, using Nasocort helps some.

CharBerry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2008, 09:34 AM   #3
(female)

legaleagle01 HB User
Talking Re: Sinus drainage causing acid reflux?

Confused32,

Hi, I saw your post and it reminded me on my struggle. I've been sick for two years now and initially I wasn't sure what the problem was. I started having really bad sinus problems:congestion, runny nose, sore throat, laryngitis, ear pain/infections, bad breath, and excessive mucus. I want to ENT after ENT and was given every med from Allegra to Zyrtec A-Z, nothing worked, my sinuses would not get better at all even thought I took the meds properly, on time, daily. Finally, after my 15th ENT I saw one who told me my problem was LPR. The LPR was causing my sinuses to flare up because of stomach acid being exhaled into my thoat area where it did not belong. Thousands of dollars later, appointment after appointmenr and med after med I finally know now that I have acid reflux which caused my sinus issues.

I am now taking the proper meds for the acid reflux and even though I am still struggling and thinking about reflux surgery-I can happily say I have no more sinus problems. No congestion, runny nose, ear infections (every now and again when I have an episode) but overall no need for sinus meds.

It took me a whole year of seeing an ENT and trying to figure out why the meds weren't working; now if I could get the acid reflux under control I'd be perfect.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

legaleagle,

May I ask what meds you took that helped? I've found that taking 2 Nexium, 2 Zyrtech and using Nasocort and a juice from health food store has helped some. So bad last night I resorted to laying with my head off the bed and using Afrin.

CharBerry

Old 07-14-2008, 12:15 PM   #5
(female)

legaleagle01 HB User

I stopped using Protonix or Nexium because it was helping my LPR. Instead I use an OTC acid med which is lower in strength but it works, I feel much better than before. My sinuses feel 100% better each day, the remaining sinusitis issues I had get better daily. I still take a OTC sinus pill everyday but it's because the office I work in is dusty but that's been it. No nasal steriods, or all the other crasy stuff I was on. My bad breath is so much better I think/hope in two more weeks that it's be a thing of the past.

I actually felt worse on Protonix it made my reflux seem worse but I think that was just me, you should continue if you feel better. My throat is healing I've been using Aloe Vera juice 2-3 times a day. I still stay away from chocolate and coffee but I drink Tea again without any complaints. The LPR is still so unpredictable though so I plan to go with the surgery all the same.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:27 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the info. I get so disgusted taking and switching from one PPI to another with no real results. The information you printed on another post was very good as I've done tons of searching. Those listed are a lot of my symptoms but then again I don't have some where others have different ones. Think that's what makes it all so confusing. I thought I had asthma and did show allergies but no real improvement after taking shots for yrs. I find that taking allergy meds daily do help maybe a little. If it's a bad day.....it's just going to be a bad day no matter what.

Char

Old 07-15-2008, 03:04 PM   #7
(female)

fancydancer HB User

I was told by my doctor that he thought I had acid reflux. I tended not to believe him because I never had an issue before. But since I took antibiotics something is up.

The post here made me think that maybe that is what is happening to me. I am still taking Prilosec but I am having all this excess mucous and coated tongue issue. It does seem as though it is coming from my stomach though.

I wondered what the OTC was that legaleagle is using?? Please share maybe it can help me. Thanks.

Closed Thread