It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User
Sinus Tachycardia and sinus bradycardia

Sinus tachycardia is NOT come from the heart. What about sinus bradycardia? Where it comes from?

Sinus tachycardia is out of the cardiologist managed as was told it comes from anxiety, stress, panic attack...... Why sinus bradycardia needs a pacemaker and cardiologist wants to involve? I'm confused!

Old 08-30-2008, 10:20 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

aether4 HB User
Re: Sinus Tachycardia and sinus bradycardia

Sinus tach does come from the heart - the sinus/sinoatrial node is the pacemaker part of the heart. It makes the heart contract and pump.

Sinus tach isn't necessarily bad, lots of things can cause it. Being happy/excited can even cause your heart rate to go up. Sinus bradycardia, like wise, can be caused by a lot of things - the lower heart rate in athletes at rest is this.

I get both, though that's no surprise as I have neurocardiogenic syncope (also called vasovagal syncope). No panic attacks, anxiety, or major amounts of stress in my case.

The problems with bradycardia is that if your heart rate falls too low you can possibly die. Weigh your choices and make sure it's the proper treatment for you, don't forget you have a right to a second or even third opinion.

Last edited by aether4; 08-30-2008 at 10:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2008, 11:01 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sam78 HB User
Re: Sinus Tachycardia and sinus bradycardia

Hiya Pika, let me see if I can help you a little. I am just guessing here, but I think what you heart doctor meant is there are A LOT of things outside of the heart that influences you heart rate, particularly towards the high side. Hormones from the kidneys, the brain, and the thyroid all can influence your heart rate. Most of them typically cause a fast heart rate. Now the brain can cause a lower heart rate. The dangerous thing about a low heart rate is if you dont get blood pressure to you brain, obviously you die. So the doctors want to intervene to be 100% sure this doesnt happen. On the other hand, there isnt a way to stop the heart rate from going to high (even though we would ALL wish for sometime to stop our racey hearts from racing). But what is good about that is, most of the time, with a fast heart beat, you still get blood to the brain, no matter how high it is. If it doesnt then you will pass out and it becomes easier for the heart to get blood to the brain. Doctors can try to regulate things that make your heart rate go too high with drugs, but a lot of it has to come from us, the patient. We have to try and deal with and eliminate things like stress, anxiety, panic attacks, etc. I wish I had a statistic to give you, but I know that a significant amount of sinus tachycardia is caused by external sources (outside of the heart). Does that help any??

Closed Thread