It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2003, 04:29 PM   #1

BTS50 HB User
Unhappy Swollen Lymph Node, Sinus, Fatigue

Hi Everyone,
I have had a debilitating problem for the last 7 years. Here is what I think is a laundry list of items I think may be responsible as I try to piece this one together.

I am a 32 year old, male. About 7 years ago, I had sex w/ a woman from another country. I believe, I may have contracted mono. But was never diagnosed. I was usually very healthy (played very interactive sports i.e. football, basketball, wieght lifting without problems, etc.) about a week later I came down w/ very harsh flu like symptoms (very bad sore throat, swollen tonsils, swollen lymph nodes, fatigue).

The DR. prescribed the usual anti-biotics, and cough medicines. After about a year of persistant fatigue, swollen lymph nodes, and a constant plugged sinus (only in 1 nostril) I went to an ENT and general dr., back then. I had bloodwork done (including std/aids screenings). It was noted that my T cells were low, and my white blood cells were very high. other than that ...nothing (no std's/aids/hiv or anything). I went to various other docs for help, and no one could help me. So for the past 7 years, I've just learned to deal with it.

I have to do something about it, because of the fatigue I cannot exercise as I once did. This has caused a lot of health problems for me. I usually get this onslaught of fatigue when I try to exercise. If I exercise a lot, it seems the extent of my symptoms are magnified.

Here is my symptoms.
1. Swollen right lymph node only the left is fine and almost never is affected (the right node is moveable, and comes and goes. But often precedes a very bad cold/flu). The node is the one under the right jaw, and proceedes to eminate just below my right ear. I will not usually get an ear infection unless my symptoms are maginified (usually by a lot of exercise).
2. I've had persistant sinus blockage for the last 7 years. Usually the right nostril will feel dry, and be partially blocked (i.e. if I put a finger on my left nostril, it is hard to draw air into my other nostril.) Sometimes, it will be the left nostril that is blocked, but whatever it is, I never can breath out of both nostrils as one is always partially blocked.
3. Fatigue. If I exercise, I will often become very tired over the next 2-3 days. and then develop cold/flue symptoms. and then usually a bad cold/flu that will be hard for me to get rid of for the next week to two weeks. Earlier this year, there was a bad flu going around, and it took me 3 months to get rid of it.

If anyone else can help me, please. I've tried taking multi-vitamins, echinacia ad nauseum, but nothing works. Thanks in advance,

[This message has been edited by BTS50 (edited 07-23-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2003, 02:37 AM   #2
Inactive

peregrine HB User
Exercise intolerance and swollen lymph nodes are symptoms of CFS. Also, when you say you get the flu after you exercise, could you explain? CFS "Flares" often feel like you have a bad case of the flu, but without the cold symptoms of fever, runny nose, etc. Of course, fatigue is a major symptom. At the first onset of the symptoms (originally) how long did it last? For the CFS diagnosis, the symptoms had to have lasted at 6 months or longer "at first onset".

Do some research on google as well on the diseases you think you have - mono, CFS, etc. Hopefully, this will help you to flesh out what exactly you are dealing with.

All the best!

Prema

Old 07-24-2003, 08:10 AM   #3

BTS50 HB User
Thanks for your response, peregrine.

Back then -- at the first onslaught -- I was very healthy. I kinda blew it off as a very bad flu. I had very harsh sore throat so much I remember I couldn't even swallow soup. I remember very high fever and just could not move. I didn't have running nose as my nose seemed to be exessivly dry. I know this was probably around a month (maybe more) that it took me to get over it. But I have never been 100% better since. On a good day, I feel like 80%. I would like 1 day of being able to feel healthy again (this has not happened in over 7yrs).

I eventually went to see an ENT, who just recommended saline solution in the nasal area (which did help relieve the swelling of the lymph node), but never seemed to get rid of the blocked nasal area.

I researched mono before. I thought mono goes away? Can mono stay forevor and re-occur again and again? Could I be a carrier?

I was referred to a "so called" chronic fatigue doctor back then. who blew it off as stress/depression related (which I found hard to believe). and just told me to get plenty of rest.

As far as the flu like symptoms. I know that I don't get runny nose after exercising. It feels like a bad cold, swollen lymph node and general malais. I've read up about CFS, but I don't think I fall into that category. I feel fine if I don't work out (and fine is like 80%). It has gotten to a point that not exercising has now affected my health (borderline high blood pressure, weight problems, heart palpatations) which concerns me.

Old 07-28-2003, 05:37 AM   #4
(female)

Lonely810810 HB User
When is the last time you was tested for HIV?6 years ago? You may want to get tested again.Not trying to scare you but it is better to be safe than sorry..Good luck.P.S. I had a friend that had mono and she said it was so severe that she would use the bathroom on herself and not know it.Also she said she would always throw up.I am no expert on mono but I am sure it would have progressed since 7 years don't ya think?

Old 09-19-2003, 09:31 AM   #5

mamu710 HB User
BTS50
Not sure if you are still out there searching. You might want to go see an immunologist? Maybe they can check your blood more thouroughly. I have an immune deficiency. Maybe it could be your immune system. HIV is an accuired immune deficiency and you could be checked for this again. Mine is an inheritad immune deficiency. Just some more food for thought.
Michele

Old 09-19-2003, 09:33 AM   #6

mamu710 HB User
BTS50
Not sure if you are still out there searching. You might want to go see an immunologist? Maybe they can check your blood more thouroughly. I have an immune deficiency. Maybe it could be your immune system. HIV is an accuired immune deficiency and you could be checked for this again. Mine is an inheritad immune deficiency. Just some more food for thought.
Michele

Old 09-20-2003, 12:50 PM   #7

Papasangel1993 HB User
Have you been tested for CMV(cytomegalovirus) which is very similar to mono? My doctor told me mono does not stay in your system but CMV does. It lies dormant like hepatitis and then can flare up when your immune system is compromised. I take triple mushroom root to boost my immune system and if I skip it and am around someone sick I will get sick. However if I take it, I can sit in a room full of sick people and not get sick.
Anyway, what you described sounds a lot like what I have and it can come and go, sometimes weeks at a shot. See if your doctor will give you the blood test for it if he hasn't already.

Old 09-25-2003, 06:20 AM   #8

rdrnrgal HB User
I'm recovering from Parvovirus (not the animal kind). My right lymph node was swollen but not my left. The swelling did come and go like yours. The fatigue was the worst part. I felt like a wind up doll. When the fatigue hit it was like I wound down and stopped. I also had a sore throat for a couple of days at the beginning. One of the problems with Parvo is that it can continue to flare up for years. It's one of those illnesses where you might not get all the possible symptoms which makes it difficult to diagnosis. It is more common in children. I had a rash all over my body and that really told my doctor it was Parvo.

As a result of the bloodwork they did for Parvo I was diagnosed with Primary Biliary Cirrhosis. All my liver tests are completely normal. I have elevated AMA and my liver biopsy showed scarring. In my case I'm glad I got Parvo because they caught the PBC very early.

Old 01-15-2004, 10:29 AM   #9

bigheadache HB User
Re: Swollen Lymph Node, Sinus, Fatigue

I just want to bump this thread because I suffer from all the symptoms liswted in here.

Old 01-16-2004, 11:36 PM   #10

indian HB User
Cool Re: Swollen Lymph Node, Sinus, Fatigue

[QUOTE=BTS50]Hi Everyone,
I have had a debilitating problem for the last 7 years. Here is what I think is a laundry list of items I think may be responsible as I try to piece this one together.

I am a 32 year old, male. About 7 years ago, I had sex w/ a woman from another country. I believe, I may have contracted mono. But was never diagnosed. I was usually very healthy (played very interactive sports i.e. football, basketball, wieght lifting without problems, etc.) about a week later I came down w/ very harsh flu like symptoms (very bad sore throat, swollen tonsils, swollen lymph nodes, fatigue).

The DR. prescribed the usual anti-biotics, and cough medicines. After about a year of persistant fatigue, swollen lymph nodes, and a constant plugged sinus (only in 1 nostril) I went to an ENT and general dr., back then. I had bloodwork done (including std/aids screenings). It was noted that my T cells were low, and my white blood cells were very high. other than that ...nothing (no std's/aids/hiv or anything). I went to various other docs for help, and no one could help me. So for the past 7 years, I've just learned to deal with it.

I suggest you go back to the ENT or go to another one and have your sinuses swabbed for cultures. The cultures could detect a number illnesses that could be causing your problems such as a staph infection or pseudomonas type of infection. They should test for anaerobes, aerobes, viridians and others. Also, you should probably get thyroid functions tests done, liver function tests and another CBC with differential. I work for an ENT in California and these would be standard tests that we would do for someone with your symptoms. Hope this helps.

Old 03-09-2005, 11:55 AM   #11
(female)

TiggerKenwood HB User

BTS50. Hello. My name is Rebecca. I am a 35 year old female. Your original post is old. I am hoping you still receive this message. I have had the same symptoms as you for several years now. I came across your post when I put some of the symptoms in a search engine. I also have had a slightly low T-cell count and high white blood cell count. I have a problem with lymph nodes swelling, sinusitis, swollen adnoids, sore throat, pressure on the ears and fatigue. I have two lymph nodes that have been swollen for years. I seem to catch every cold and flu out their and it lasts for weeks. I have been tested for HIV several times and the tests have come back negative. I have also had catscans and ultrasounds done on my lymph nodes and throat. They came up with nothing.

I have a hypoactive thyroid, but have been told by an endocrinologist that the problem is unrelated. Again, I have also been told I possibly have chronic fatigue due to mono (Epstien Barr), but I don't believe this. I think that is a diagnosis that was come up with because I had these syptoms, but they could not find the cause. I am not sure what else to do and was hoping that maybe you had figured out what was going on with you. I was once a very active person and it is very frustrating that I can not do the things I once did. If you could please let me know if you have had any luck getting a diagnosis, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Last edited by TiggerKenwood; 03-09-2005 at 11:57 AM.

Old 03-09-2005, 06:48 PM   #12
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User

Have you been tested specifically for Lyme Disease? It can have virtually all the symptoms you have listed and does not go away until a specific regimen of antibiotics are given by intravenous infusion. The side effects left untreated can cause rheumatoid arthritis. My aunt had it and she had to have both wrists surgically operated on to loosen tendons that tightened up and twisted her fingers into knots. She now takes an intravenous arthritis medication one time per month. Not a pretty sight.

Last edited by Marimac; 03-09-2005 at 07:13 PM. Reason: misspelled word

Old 03-25-2005, 12:21 PM   #13
(male)

CHDinCT HB User

BTS50 and others.

Like Marimac suggested, you might want to look into Lyme disease. When I was 22, I came down with all the same symptoms you listed: extreme fatigue, fever, extreme swollen glands, and congestion. I am now 46 years old. After my initial bout with these symptoms, which last 2-3 weeks, I was left with chronic fatigue, swollen glands that would come and go sometimes multiple times per day, and sinus congestion, particularly on my right side. I saw many doctors who could not give me a clear diagnosis - some said it was likely mono, but I recall the blood test coming back negative. Many of the doc's said that it was stress or depression related, which I knew was not correct. Finally, about 3 years later, stories bout CFS and Epstein-Bar started to appear in newspapers and such. With this, my then current doctor advised that E-B was likely the cause.

To shorten a 24 year story, I slowly got better, with healthy periods (though never 100%) occurring more often. I would have 2-6 bouts per year of the fatigue/swollen glands/sinus congestion. I would exercise as often as I could, mostly jogging, but I could never push too hard as that would bring on these symptoms. I took a lot of Advil and Sudafed and muddled through.

About 4 years ago, while seeing an ENT for the sinus issues, my Dr suggested I get a pnuemovac shot - a vaccine to increase your resistance to pnuemococal bacterial infections, which she thought might help the sinus congestion. Like a miracle, for the first time in almost 20 years, I felt like a real person again. Energy level was great, and all of my swollen glands and sinus issues disappeared. Alas, after 3 months I regressed to my old level of sub-par health. Following this, I started to get more and more flu and cold like episodes, sometimes even feverish. After additional blood tests, it was determined that I had low immunity levels and was referred to an immunologist. He suggested repeating the pnuemovac shot; though he was skeptical it would or should improve my health. Wham! miracle improvement again. Like a new man. But again after 3 months the improvement wore off and I got even worse. Now I was constantly sick and getting more muscle aches and pains and chronic sinus congestion. Back to the Dr, who put me on steroids to reduce the swollen sinuses. This helped with the sinus issues, but starting about a month later even worse muscle and joint pain; sever neck pain. (Oh, forgot to mention heart palpitations a few years earlier). Thatís when I started looking into Lyme disease. This past fall, I was clinically diagnosed with Lyme and started on antibiotics. It has now been 4 plus months and I have had some improvement. I am in the process of reading up on all the available treatment protocols since it is clear that antibiotics do not cure everyone. I have a long way to go, but am hopeful for the first time in a long time.

I can not say for sure that I contracted Lyme when I was 22, but I am increasingly of the opinion that this may have been the case and that the treatment protocol of the last several years brought the Lyme to the forefront. I believe my immune system, which probably was able to keep the Lyme reasonably in check, was upset by the pnuemovac shots and steroids. I have now read that steroids are exactly the wrong treatment for Lyme as they weaken your immune system. I am saddened every day that my quality of life has been so poor for over 20 years, but somewhat hopeful that I now have a diagnosis. I hope in some small way, this helps you or someone else who reads it. Good luck.

Old 04-25-2005, 01:52 PM   #14
(female)

nannie8 HB User

posted the same message twice.

Last edited by nannie8; 04-25-2005 at 01:57 PM. Reason: i posted twice

Old 04-25-2005, 01:55 PM   #15
(female)

nannie8 HB User

Hi there. I have almost the same exact problem, except it doesn't last for lengthy periods of time. I would say it has happened a total of about 10 to 12 times in the past 8 years or so. I get a swollen lymph node on the right side only. It hurts when swallowing or yawning and it hurts when i press my neck under my jaw. my ear also feel clogged and full and i feel drainage. my voice also gets hoarse. i saw a doctor about this the first time it happened and he said it looked like an abcess on my tonsil and was going to "lance" it (yuk). well, he never did that because it went away on its own. as i said, it's recurred since then....coincidentally, it is occurring now (i just posted about it on the general health board). the only other symptom is that i feel tired, but not completely fatigued and exhausted...just a low grade malaise that comes from feeling crappy when your lymph node is swollen. i don't know if that helps any because i don't have answers myself, but i thought it might make you feel better to know someone else experiences this too? i have no std's and have never had mono, by the way. i have been tested for immune disorders because i have a variety of unexplained illnesses dating back to 1980 (i'm 39 now)...many of which sound immune disorder related, but no tests have come back positive since 1980...my doctor said "maybe fibromyalgia," but i really think there's something underlying that they just can't find and won't dig deep enough due to the nature of health care these days. good luck; i hope we both find out what's going on! nanette

Closed Thread