It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2008, 01:19 AM   #1
(male)

Cined HB User
Doc says he thinks I have sinusitis.

Hello.

I'm a 17 year old from the UK, and for the past 15 months I've been suffering with headaches, pain around and behind my eyes, drainage down the back of my throat and a blocked nose and I get pain in my head when I shake it from side to side. I also get lots of pressure in my head/forehead/around eyes at times.

The first time I went to the doctor, he gave me some antihistimines which didn't clear it up, so after that course of medication I went back to him, and he gave me a stronger dose of antihisitimes and they still didn't clear it up.

So I went to see a different doctor, and he thinks I have sinusitus when I told him the symptoms I had, but he couldn't give me any medication for it yet as I have an ECG/Cardiac appointment in a few weeks.

He told me to just keep taking paracetomol for now, because sometimes the headaches can get really bad.

Does this sound like sinusitus to you guys? And is there any home remidies that you can recommend that don't involve medications?

Thanks!

Last edited by Cined; 09-23-2008 at 01:20 AM.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: Doc says he thinks I have sinusitis.

It could be sinusitis but it's probably too soon to tell. The best thing you can do in the short term is get a neti pot or SinusRinse bottle and start irrigating your sinuses with saline (salt water). It will be a little weird at first but can make a huge difference.

Once you get past your ECG/Cardiac appointment there are several other things you can do (keep up the saline irrigation):
1. Get a prescription for a steroid nasal spray (fluticasone, budesonide, etc.) and use it every day. It will help reduce the inflammation in your sinuses.

2. Try an over-the-counter decongestant (pseudoephedrine) to see if that helps with the congestion/pressure.

3. You might also try the antihistamine again to see if it helps when used with these other things - allergies are a very common cause of sinusitis.
It may take a while but you should also probably make an appointment with an Otolaryngologist (Ear, Nose & Throat doctor). Sometimes a deviated septum can cause some of the symptoms you describe.

Last edited by gcsjr; 09-23-2008 at 04:11 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2008, 08:32 AM   #3
(male)

richard1971 HB User

HI both- GC ive now had my chronic allergy problem for 10 weeks as you probably know with all the posts ive done. Thing is i cant stop it. For 10 weeks continuous ive had the full head (or even light headedness feeling) clogged ears that are causing imbalance, constant pnd, cough and eye pressure. Ive taken beconase, flixonase, anti histamines rinses you name it i just cant shake it off. Will it ever ease do you know? I know ill always have my rhinitis but its never been this bad. Could there be something else going on?

Old 09-24-2008, 11:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Richard:

I wish I could give you an answer but it sounds like you're doing all of the right things without much success. I'm afraid that your best bet is going to be seeing an otolaryngologist (Ear, Nose & Throat Doc) so that someone can examine you and try to figure out what's going on.

I'm bummed that nothing you're doing has helped.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:06 AM   #5
(male)

Cined HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcsmithjr View Post
It could be sinusitis but it's probably too soon to tell. The best thing you can do in the short term is get a neti pot or SinusRinse bottle and start irrigating your sinuses with saline (salt water). It will be a little weird at first but can make a huge difference.

Once you get past your ECG/Cardiac appointment there are several other things you can do (keep up the saline irrigation):
1. Get a prescription for a steroid nasal spray (fluticasone, budesonide, etc.) and use it every day. It will help reduce the inflammation in your sinuses.

2. Try an over-the-counter decongestant (pseudoephedrine) to see if that helps with the congestion/pressure.

3. You might also try the antihistamine again to see if it helps when used with these other things - allergies are a very common cause of sinusitis.
It may take a while but you should also probably make an appointment with an Otolaryngologist (Ear, Nose & Throat doctor). Sometimes a deviated septum can cause some of the symptoms you describe.

That's very much for the reply. It's appreciated.

Can having infected sinuses cause a sensation of not getting enough air? Because I breathe through my nose and most of the time it's blocked.

Can having blocked sinuses make you feel off balance aswell?

Because I've been getting that weird breathing sensation and I have been feeling off balance, but I do have a bad anxiety disorder so I think the breathing sensation could be a sign of a mini panic attack, because when I stop thinking about it, it goes away.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:05 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Can having infected sinuses cause a sensation of not getting enough air? Because I breathe through my nose and most of the time it's blocked.
Lots of things can cause congestion - a sinus infection, allergies, exposure to irritants and pollution in the air. Typically if you have an infection you'll have congestion/pressure, discolored (green) mucus when you blow your nose, and maybe a slight fever. The discolored mucus and fever are the best indicators of infected sinuses because there are other things that can cause congestion.

Again, you might try taking a decongestant like Sudafed (psuedoephedrine) to see if it helps the feeling of being congested.

Quote:
Can having blocked sinuses make you feel off balance aswell?
Yes. The sinuses and the ears are very closely linked and congestion in the sinuses can have an effect on your inner ear that would cause you to feel off balance (an ear infection could also cause this).

If these sensations go away when you stop thinking about them they may be related to your anxiety disorder, not your sinuses.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:38 AM   #7
(male)

richard1971 HB User

Another thing GC which i find odd but to other people may be a bit laughable, i cant blow my nose nor i very hardly sneeze or the odd occassion i do sneeze its a dry sneeze, i only get the horrendous congestion. Could it be the mechanics of my nose not working right?

Also, can the doctor tell if i have inner ears infection just by looking in my ears? I really think i have as my balance can be out as said

Last edited by richard1971; 09-25-2008 at 12:23 PM.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:35 AM   #8
(male)

Cined HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1971 View Post
Another thing GC which i find odd but to other people may be a bit laughable, i cant blow my nose nor i very hardly sneeze or the odd occassion i do sneeze its a dry sneeze, i only get the horrendous congestion. Could it be the mechanics of my nose not working right?

Also, can the doctor tell if i have inner ears infection just by looking in my ears? I really think i have as my balance can be out as said
The majority of times I sneeze I dry sneeze also, but I do have congestion aswell.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:45 PM   #9
(male)

richard1971 HB User

hi cined, how you getting on? whats your symptoms and how long you had em? ive had mine for 10+weeks. Whats got me is the congested head and ears causing my imbalance. Thats the biggest concern but doc reckons i got to live with it!

Old 10-01-2008, 08:29 AM   #10
(male)

Cined HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1971 View Post
hi cined, how you getting on? whats your symptoms and how long you had em? ive had mine for 10+weeks. Whats got me is the congested head and ears causing my imbalance. Thats the biggest concern but doc reckons i got to live with it!
Heya.

Well I have good days and bad days. Today is what I'd call a good day. I don't have a headache at all and I don't have that horrible pain when I shake my head.

I've had my symptoms for much longer than 10 weeks. I've had main for about 15 months.

My symptoms are headaches around and behind my eyes. Pain when I shake my head. Constant drainage down the back of my throat, pressure in my face and pain in my face.

I have a question I hope some one can answer, can sinusitis cause your heart to beat faster now and then because of the infection? Because this is what could be making my heart beat faster than it should?

Thanks.

Last edited by Cined; 10-01-2008 at 08:30 AM.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:43 AM   #11
(male)

richard1971 HB User

Hi Cined, you remind me of me! Ive suffered an allergic nose for years and years, but for the last 10 weeks its been rampant. I get pressure on top of my skull and the constant PND is awful. Fr some reason its become worse these last 10 weeks. Headaches nearly every day. This brought on my anxiety (i seen your post on anxiety) and i went on beta blockers for it (more on the anxiety board). I read somewhere that whenever we have an illness, the heart works a bit harder to help combat it. My resting heart rate was about 72 like you and running up the stairs would beat faster-but thats normal. My sinuses have really 'knocked me about' and nothing i take cures it.

Closed Thread