It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
(female)

nehalem HB User
Ongoing sinus problems for over a year, no resolution!

I started having what I assume were sinus problems around September of last year. I went to my GP a few times and took antibiotics and really never felt that much better. I was told I had fluid in my ears and actually had my ears cleaned out one on occasion. To resolve the fluid issue I was told to take allergy medication so I tried a few (medication and I have a strange relationship, since I was little...) and settled on Alavert, although I wasn't too into the idea of taking medicine every single day with no end.

Around March it turned into a feeling of extreme dizziness and almost fainting and what I can only describe as depersonalization. This snowballed into me not even being able to drive on anything other than a 2 lane road (thank god for small towns, huh?) without feeling .....weird. Partly, driving was probably anxiety brought on by feeling weird while driving, but I am not really anxiety prone, and can usually reason myself out of those feelings, but not these.

For the last 6-7 months I have had the dizziness, depersonalization, in addition to sinus symptoms including forehead pain, headaches that throb sometimes on a daily basis, facial pain...it seems as if the sinuses located on my forehead (I know no medical jargon, sorry, I am sure they have a name) are the ones that hurt the most....and post nasal drip. My nose rarely if ever runs, I never cough, it seems to be all crammed up in my head, being infected, apparently.

I finally went to a ENT a month ago and was prescribed antibiotics for 3 weeks and instructed to use 3 nasal sprays. The first being saline, the second Nasonex and the 3rd being Astelin. The saline I have used before, the other two I had not. The Nasonex hit me weird the first time so I didn't even use the Astelin that day. I felt extremely jittery on the inside, like someone had just given me a shot of caffeine, the roof of my mouth felt numb and I tasted metal. I also felt like a zombie and couldn't function in life for 2 days. Then I introduced the Astelin also and it was worse. As soon as using it my heart started beating very fast and my face turned super red. I sat around and had what I suppose would be some sort of panic attack for a hour and a half before finally being able to go to sleep at 1:00am. So...needless to say I didn't use the sprays anymore. I had no luck initially contacting my ENT office and eventually just didn't persist.

At the visit, she indicated I have a slight deviated septum, thought I had even broken my nose at some point (I haven't) and turned me upside down on a table to cause dizziness.

I finished the antibiotics yesterday and one would think after 3 weeks of such a thing I would notice a difference in the positive, but I pretty much feel worse. I have another appointment next week, but I am feeling hopeless. I sometimes wonder if its even sinus related. Should I request an X-ray or scan? I'm starting to think its something worse, like a brain tumor. I am losing my mind! Anyone have any similar sinus issues?

Thanks! Also, I am female, 28, and otherwise healthy, supposedly If that helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2008, 01:54 PM   #2
(female)

Essica HB User
Re: Ongoing sinus problems for over a year, no resolution!

I would request a CT scan, thats what I had done to rule out any sinus issues.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:20 PM   #3
(female)

nehalem HB User

So what did you finally find out?

Old 11-28-2008, 12:46 PM   #4
(female)

kristi6190 HB User

i have the exact same dizziness and am also trying to figure out what is wrong with me. ruled out anemia, diabetes, and thyroid problems with blood work. i feel like giving up only i have a 1 1/2 year old that i have to keep up with and i can't even get out of bed some days ifeel so 'out of it' almost like i'm in a big dream...or just really spaced out. did u find out anything at the doctor? i'm 21 years old and also very heathly. i also have a deviated septum and have never even came close to breaking my nose to have caused it. i'm very confused and have been feeling this way since early october. the thing is..i've felt like this before at a young age but i could always pull myself out of it, now its like i'm stuck in this blurred world and i feel like tomarrow i might wake up from this dream. its so weird feeling. like a daydream, but its my life i'm seeing not a dream. let me know what the doctor has said about your issues and i got back to the doctor dec.3rd so i'll post to you in 5 days and let you know what my doctor says, see if we can rule out a few more things. did you ever think it might be nurological? i'm scared to face it if it is. good luck to you and let me know how u are.~its good to know there are people out there going through this too...i'm not so alone.

Old 11-28-2008, 02:38 PM   #5
(female)

nehalem HB User

Strangely enough, I remember feeling this way to a degree when I was little also. Its like I realized I was in my own body and it freaked me out, that is a strange and probably terrible way to describe it, but its like self-realization/depersonalization. Then it would be over in a minute and I would be back to whatever, but now it seems to stay and not want to leave. I have the whole brain fog/dizzy/spacey thing baaaad. Sometimes when talking to someone I will be having a conversation but in my head I will be feeling weird and halfway freaking out and I will sometimes just totally forget what I was talking about.

Currently my forehead area hurts ALL the time pretty much, I am very sensitive to light, have to close one eye just to cope with how bright everything is, and the area where both the sinuses on my forehead and the ones under my eyes are hurt like crazy.

I go back to the doctor next week too, the 4th or 5th I think, so I will repost too......maybe one of us can figure this out and help the other one!!!

Old 11-28-2008, 09:20 PM   #6
(female)

kristi6190 HB User

nehalem...omg! i have to kinda close my eyes as well because i'm sensitive to light! also sound. if somethings too loud or whatever it makes me feel weird. wow. ok good you have an appointment too well good luck and i hope we find the answer(somehow i doubt it). its like for me anyways, that my doctor has better things to worry about. he keeps telling me its anxiety so i'm on xanax 0.5mg and it helps me sleep at night but i don't feel like i have bad anxiety. i mean when i'm in a stressful situation like a job interview or like meeting someone new for the first time or whatever it may be yah i have a little anxiety(butterflys) who doesnt? well when i was young the doctor my mom took me to said my dizziness was caused by inner ear infections and they'd prescribe antibiotics and i guess i'd go away or i'd just forget about it until the next time it happened..but i never had ear pain, wether or not you're soposed to i dont know? hopefully one of us will find some answers. we'll see what my doctor has in store for me on wednesday...talk to ya then.~kristi
oh by the way where are you from? could the cold weather have triggered yours? i feel like mine started up once the season started changing to fall ya know?

Old 04-23-2009, 09:36 AM   #7
(female)

CANEY GIRL HB User

i have alot of the same symptoms. do you ever feel like when you wake up you have to remind yourself who you are. i've been in and out of this dreamy state for about a month and i hate it. i went to the ent yesterday. i feel so strange and i am overly aware of my thoughts and surroundings. i get so frustrated with these symptoms. did you ever find out what was going on?

Old 04-23-2009, 11:30 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

nehalem

sinus problems
extreme dizziness and almost fainting
depersonalization
anxiety
forehead pain
headaches
facial pain
post nasal drip
no cough
panick attacks

All these could be symptoms of an undiagnosed bacterial infection that your doctors may not have considered.

Quote:
At the visit, she indicated I have a slight deviated septum, thought I had even broken my nose at some point (I haven't)...
Borrelia burgdorferi, a bacteria, can eat away at cartllage and bone, and this may explain why your septum was deviated. This bacteria likes to set up housekeeping in the salivary glands, so often there are sinus problems, facial problems (bell's palsy), jaw problems (TMJ is a common symptom), etc.

Quote:
...I finished the antibiotics yesterday and one would think after 3 weeks of such a thing I would notice a difference in the positive, but I pretty much feel worse.
If there is a large infection going on and the antibiotics are working, you may feel worse!! This is called the herx-heimer reaction.

Many people experience symptoms similar to the ones you're experiencing...but the ones who've expereinced them and who have responded to treatment are patients diagnosed and treated for Lyme Disease.

A Lyme Literate Medical Doctor would be needed to diagnose and treat this condition...other doctors just don't have the expertise.

Bethsheba

Some people can be born with this bacteria and it can remain dormant for decades until illness, injury, and/or stress encourage it to become active.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:35 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristi6190 View Post
...kinda close my eyes as well because i'm sensitive to light! also sound. if somethings too loud or whatever it makes me feel weird.
Lyme can infect the cranial nerves and when this happens, changes in sensory experiences may occur.

Quote:
... he keeps telling me its anxiety so i'm on xanax 0.5mg and it helps me sleep at night but i don't feel like i have bad anxiety. ..
Anxiety, panic, and depression are also symptoms of this condition.

Quote:
i feel like mine started up once the season started changing to fall ya know?
If the symptoms are caused by Borrelia burgdorferi, this would be understandable given the life cycle of the bacteria...

Bethsheba

Old 04-23-2009, 08:52 PM   #10
(female)

rodr22 HB User

I have had similar symptoms, I am 21 and about 2 years ago I felt the same way...I couldnt lay down to sleep cause I felt a dizzy sensation (not actual spinning) just felt like the inside of my head was spinning, my heart was beating quickly I would shake and felt like I was having a heart attack...went away and came back almost monthly...I started smelling weird stuff and i started feeling the spinning sensation during the night when the lights were on I literally had to eat with my eyes close because the light above the dining table would make me feel horrible and I figured I had a horrible sinus infection (headaches and pain in my cheeks, eyes, forehead) and went to the doctor was put on nasacort, antibiotics the whole thing and was told i had a deviated septum and I felt better but my dizzy spells never went away.

About a month after my sinus infection came back (or so i thought) and for the next 1.5 years I had one almost every month...got tested for allergies and nothing was wrong they said i had chronic rhinitis and gave me sprays that made my nose bleed about every hour...the only one i could use was nasacort

Now I went to a different ent, because my dizzyness sensation is still there, my life has deteriorated because of it...i usually sleep like 3 or 4 hrs a night becaus of it and feel like my bed is sinking but its all in my head...I ve been told i was having panick attacks but i dont think

the latests news...my nose was always crusty no matter how many rinses i had a day my nose was stuffed with crust to the point where i couldnt even stick my finger in my nostrils anymore and I had all that removed and they found that a have a big porforation in my septum which causes the crust...i feel like my nose is going to eventually fall... i decided to live like this, with a bottle of nasal saline solution in my hand 24/7

Old 04-24-2009, 10:05 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

rodr,

Welcome to the boards...again, all of your symptoms could be explained by lyme. You have some of the country's best resources there in your own back yard. You might want to investigate it further.

Good luck!

Closed Thread