It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User
Help! Can't get rid of sinus infection

After taking antibiotics in October for a sinus infection, it came back and now won't leave. I've still got one more day of antibiotics, but last time I was feeling better by now. This time I'm also taking Mucinex, which helps temporarily, but once it wears off, I'm congested again. I'm sure my immune system is even more messed up since October since I've been on the wrong dose (too low) for 6 months. I'm doing all the steam baths, nasal rinses and drinking water and I don't feel any better. I guess I'll have to wait until I'm done with the antibiotics and call the dr. again. I know these sinus infections are caused by my thyroid being too low. I hate my doctor, she's ruining my life!!!!!

Old 01-03-2009, 08:32 AM   #2
(female)

PandaBear777 HB User
Re: Help! Can't get rid of sinus infection

You say your doing the nasal rinses...a Neti pot?

That really saved me last year, had a sinus infection again and I was dreading going to the doctor again! Someone mentioned the Neti Pot, sounded nuts but I tried it and I got better. It was tough when I was real congested but I stuck with it. Haven't had a sinus infection since. I try to use it everyday. I've got a friend who does too and it has greatly reduced her sinus issues too.

Mucinex helps me, keeps the mucuous flowing. If I take an antihistimine and a decongestant together it makes it worse.One time the pharmacist suggested I take my Singulair and add the antihistimine I used to take. I was hestitant, but he reassured me I could safely take these together - it helped a lot during allergy season. I live in Alabama, EVERYTHING blooms in the spring - even the pine trees! The pollen gets so thick everyone has yellow cars. When it rains you can see the pollen in the run off. Fall is peanut harvest and everyone seems to have sinus issues then.

One other thought - get your teeth checked. I had an abcessed tooth a couple years ago that I didn't know I had. The doctor even did a CAT scan on my face and brain and didn't catch it. One day something popped into my head and I stopped by the dentist's and asked to be checked. One $65 x-ray later....I was on my way to an oral surgeon. Miracle cure after 4 or 5 rounds of antibiotics for my sinuses.

I feel your pain. Hope you're better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2009, 04:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

I use the NeilMed Rinse in the plastic bottle. Now just the right side of my nose has the pressure and is stuffed up. I'm sure it's my immune system from being on too low of a dose of synthroid for months. I've never had sinus infections in my life until now. I've tried the plain Mucinex and it's not doing much. The DM helped more, but it made me too sleep and dizzy to take during the day.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:57 PM   #4
(female)

PandaBear777 HB User

Mucinex has a Mucinex Maximum. The DM us dextromethorphan and is for quieting cough it does nothing for the sinuses. There has been debate over making it a controlled substance because a lot of kids are using it to get high. So, yes, it will make you dizzy and may give you a slight boost before it knocks you out. You can also get a stronger expectorant from your doctor to loosen up your sinuses, but expectorant will eventually wear you out to and put you to sleep too. Try sleeping in a recliner or with lots of pillows. If you lay flat it just backs everything up into your head, more of an incline will keep things draining.

This sounds crazy, but the drainage will shifts sides. If you're congested on the right lay on you left side. If I'm awake when I do this I can usually feel it start to shift and then change back to my back - splits the pressure up and helps it drain.

My mother was the Queen of sinus problems. My sister was always worse than me until I moved south where things bloom all year round. But it's much better with the Neti Pot. I can be in the yard then come in and wash out my nasal passages.

Hope you feel better soon.

Closed Thread