It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
(male)

Spaceboy88 HB User
Chronic Sinusitis?

I'm not sure if this is the correct board so if not I apologize.

For the past month I have been feeling really awful. In late December I felt like I was fighting a cold for a few days and after taking extra vitamin C and drinking lots of fluids I thought I kicked it. About a week later, I was sitting at my computer one night checking email and watching TV when I was hit with a sudden sense of vertigo. It freaked me out and I stumbled into the next room where my wife was in case I fainted which thankfully didn't happen. I took some Sudafed (the real kind with the psuedeophedrine in it) as I figured I must have been getting a sinus infection and it seemed to help a little. Two days later, the same thing happened while at work on the computer. I started taking a Zithromax pack that I had and it seemed to do nothing. As the days passed, I would get random bouts of slight dizziness and lightheadedness, especially when turning my head quickly, but mostly when looking at the computer under bright fluorescent lights. I went to a nurse practitioner who saw no fluid in my ear and prescribed me some Amoxicillin and told me to stay on the Sudafed as she thought I had a cold that just settled in my sinus cavities. A week on those meds did nothing as my symptoms got worse. I was walking around constantly in what felt like a sinus haze (some call it 'med head').

I went to my normal doctor when he got back from vacation and said that he saw some post nasal drip in my throat and felt a lot of pressure in my sinus cavities. He diagnosed me with some sinus inflammation and a slight case of labyrinthitis which he said was causing my balance issues. He prescribed me a stronger antibiotic (Augmentin XR) as well as a Medrol dose pack which he said would bring down the inflammation in my ear. Taking this medicine made a huge difference. My balance issues, while still there frequently throughout the day, were not nearly as bad as they were and the sinus pressure haze lifted completely. The only problem that really remained was that using the computer under bright lights, or even being in a store with bright fluorescent lights would make me feel very nauseous. My doctor wanted me to get a sinus CT scan to see if I have any polyps or blockages as I'm prone to sinus infections and have bad seasonal allergies. He also suggested going to my optometrist and make sure there were no eye strain problems contributing to my problem. Everything checked out normal there and the eye doctor said that his best guess was that the fluorescent lighting was making me feel dizzy and sick due to the movement of the gas inside those bulbs which is not visible to the naked eye but picked up by peripheral vision (which is much more sensitive to movement.)

I finished up my cycle of antibiotics yesterday morning and have been off them for over 24 hours now. Unfortunately, the med-head hazy feeling has returned, as well as a huge sense of pressure in my head. It feels like I have a sinus infection only I don't have any yellow mucus and can breathe okay through my nose. I have a constant crackling in my ears whenever I swallow and can feel pressure in my cheeks under my eyes and in my head. I also sometimes get tooth pain (which I sometimes get with acute sinusitis) especially when I'm under the bright lights.

I'm wondering if all of this can be caused by CHRONIC sinusitis? I did some research online after I noticed a salty taste in my mucous this morning and read that sometimes that is caused by the post nasal drip with chronic sinusitis.

I am not able to see my doctor again until Tuesday (today is Saturday) and was just wondering if this sounds like what has been torturing me for so long? Any advise or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Again, I apologize if this is the wrong board and will gladly move it to the appropriate area if someone can point me to a more suitable forum.

Thanks,

Tim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
(female)

crocheting HB User
Cool Re: Chronic Sinusitis?

Just from personal experience a saline rinse helped me lots. In fact I had horrible sinus problems using saline rinse a few times a day when I experience the symptoms you mention works so well I don't even use my medicated nose spray anymore. Saline rinse is great, you can use it as many times as you need it. Have you asked your doc if it could be migraines? Hope this helps a bit.
Crocheting

Old 02-07-2009, 03:44 PM   #3
(male)

Spaceboy88 HB User
Re: Chronic Sinusitis?

I do use a saline nose rinse but that doesn't seem to be helping much. A lot of times when I do it and blow my nose, I feel like there's tons of fluid in my right ear and if I blow hard enough it will burst.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Have you tried taking Mucinex. This will help thin mucous and help with clearing the sinuses.

Combination of Mucinex and an allergy medicine like Zyrtec may solve your problem.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

I don't know about the light situation, but do know that sinus trouble can raise all sorts of Hell with one's system, including throwing one off balance. It all has to do with the vestibular system and even though I am no dr., I do believe that the ears and sinuses are connected. I am highly allergic to perfume and odors of any kind. Was with some people the other day and one had on perfume. When I left the room, I could not walk a straight line and was like that for the rest of the day until it cleared out of my system. Have you been to an allergist? If not, I suggest that you do. Maybe you are allergic to the lights. I have found that acupuncture has helped me much more than any dr. I can walk into that office waving all over with my walk and when I am done, I am walking much straighter. The wavering when I walk is caused by the blood vessels in my head expanding. Good luck and if I can be of any help, don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:26 PM   #6
(female)

godisable2000 HB User

I think I may have a sinus infection myself. I have been feeling horrible since last Friday. I am not a fan of going to the doctor's but I think I am going to have to stop being so stubborn and go next week. Anyway, my question is what is the saline rinse? I think I may have seen it on Oprah, once upon a time. Can I get this at any pharmacy?

Old 02-07-2009, 11:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

the saline rinse washes the junk out of your nose, which is a great help. Try looking up Grossan irrigator on the internet. He is an ear/nose and throat dr. I have bought his stuff and he really helps.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:35 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by godisable2000 View Post
what is the saline rinse? I think I may have seen it on Oprah, once upon a time. Can I get this at any pharmacy?
Yes, you can get it at any pharmacy. The best option for a simple sinus infection is probably a NeilMed Sinus Rinse bottle. You can buy a starter kit that comes with the bottle, 50 packets of a pH balanced saline mixture, and the instructions on how to use it, for about $15.

The Grossan irrigator is a much more expensive system that you might consider if you have chronic sinus problems (although there is a similar, much less expensive mechanical irrigation option that you can do with a WaterPik as well).

Old 02-08-2009, 08:14 AM   #9
(female)

godisable2000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcsmithjr View Post
Yes, you can get it at any pharmacy. The best option for a simple sinus infection is probably a NeilMed Sinus Rinse bottle. You can buy a starter kit that comes with the bottle, 50 packets of a pH balanced saline mixture, and the instructions on how to use it, for about $15.

The Grossan irrigator is a much more expensive system that you might consider if you have chronic sinus problems (although there is a similar, much less expensive mechanical irrigation option that you can do with a WaterPik as well).
Thank you, I am going to see if I can get this asap. I woke up feeling worse.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:11 PM   #10
(male)

Spaceboy88 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danabarb View Post
I don't know about the light situation, but do know that sinus trouble can raise all sorts of Hell with one's system, including throwing one off balance. It all has to do with the vestibular system and even though I am no dr., I do believe that the ears and sinuses are connected. I am highly allergic to perfume and odors of any kind. Was with some people the other day and one had on perfume. When I left the room, I could not walk a straight line and was like that for the rest of the day until it cleared out of my system. Have you been to an allergist? If not, I suggest that you do. Maybe you are allergic to the lights. I have found that acupuncture has helped me much more than any dr. I can walk into that office waving all over with my walk and when I am done, I am walking much straighter. The wavering when I walk is caused by the blood vessels in my head expanding. Good luck and if I can be of any help, don't hesitate to ask any questions.
My doctor took blood work and is going to run a full allergy test this week.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:54 PM   #11
(female)

godisable2000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcsmithjr View Post

i went to get the neilmed rinse kit. oh my gosh. i love it. i can breathe again. and it is getting rid of all that mucous. if i have an infection do i need to go to the doctor's? i am not sure if i have one. i would say i am way better than when i woke up. the last time i had an infection i took this nasty pink medicine, two z-packs and nasonex but it took forever to clear up. i used the rinse and i feel way better than when i took all that other stuff. so i'm thinkin' i just have a sinus cold.

Closed Thread