It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2009, 09:26 PM   #1
(female)

atwood82 HB User
Sinus congestion and feeling run down

I was diagnosed with a sinus infection over two weeks ago and have done 1 and half courses of antibiotics. At the time of diagnosis, the NP noted that I had swollen tonsils but no positive strep test. Also around this time, I had a stomach bug. I felt really lousy the first week, constant cough and total weakness. Went to an ENT last Friday because of continued pain and pressure and was given a cortisone shot. The pain and pressure have reduced somewhat but I'm on pain medication. Now I just feel exhausted but also have difficulty sleeping. I've also started having difficulty swallowing again and stomach pain and nausea. My neck has been sore as have my glands through this illness and I've run an off and on low grade fever. Is this just remnants of the virus or is something else going on?

Last edited by atwood82; 02-16-2009 at 09:41 PM.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User
Re: Sinus congestion and feeling run down

HI Atwood,
I know this post is a little late, which is dated the 17th of this month, but I see you're in pain and are having a lot of things going on at one time and not getting better which I would have to question myself. Especially since you've already been on an antibiotic.

Are you lymph nodes swollen anywhere? you mention your throat hurts too? the throat can hurt when you have sinus problems from post nasal drip. they look like little tiny blisters way on the back of the throat that goes WAY down the throat, but you can't see it that far. only an ENT can with his scope. That can cause slight pain, but not the type of pain that strep can cause.
when you have strep, or when I had it, I couldnt' even swallow my own saliva without it killing me.
maybe you have something viral? I say this, because you can take as many antibiotics possible and it will not wipe out a viral illness. Only bacteria can be penetrated by the medicine, not viruses.
I would get a second opinion from a different doctor since you're not getting any better and your instinct is telling you something might be going on.

You have all the tell tale signs of having strep. the nausuea, the stomach pains, throat hurts, etc.
oh! and when a person has sinusitis, that alone can wipe a person of their energy too.
it makes you very very tired and weak. they say when you have an infection, you must rest your body and drink plenty of water to hydrate the inflammed tissues that are blocking up the sinuses.
so it can be a number of things that's going on. Did you get any blood work performed?
a CBC would've been good to start with if I were your doctor.

well, I wish you the best and hope you get this resolved. maybe you're already feeling from the time you posted this and from the time i answered it?

l'm curious to find out how you're doing?

sincerely,
Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
(female)

atwood82 HB User

Thanks for asking. I saw an ENT and my sinuses are apparently inflamed and swollen but not infected. I had a CT done on Monday and am waiting for the results. I'm still feeling pretty rotten, though not as bad as I did last week, so hopefully I'm slowly getting better. I don't think I have strep as I'm not having a sore throat.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Atwood82,
Did you get Mri results from your doctor yet?

Glad to hear You're feeling some what better than before though.

I am too. My inflammation finally went down enough so mine can drain.

No more headache like I had or feeling exhausted like I did last week, but the drainage from my nose indicates sign of infection because of the color of it.
I'm trying to eradicate this problem on my own at home, but I think mine is related to allergies rather than viral or whatever.

Please keep us informed if you're up to it.

I wish you the best outcome.

sincerely,

LInda

Old 02-27-2009, 01:07 PM   #5
(female)

atwood82 HB User

Thanks, Linda. I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better.

I saw a new ENT today and he prescribed antibiotics for 3 weeks and steroids. The CT scan showed that my sinuses are pretty damaged so I am maybe looking at sinus surgery in the future. I'm feeling relieved that someone finally listened to me.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am thrilled to hear they finally found out what's going on exactly.

If you hadn't been assertive I'm wondering what might of happened.
I wonder how long this was going on inside you for it to do so much damage?

how long did you have bouts of it? is it chronic like my symptoms?

Now that they know what is going on with your case, did you lose your sense of smell like me?
I really thought it was part of the aging process and I thought perhaps I inherited my mom's genes' because she too lost her sense of smell to certain things.
I find this the most agrivating of symptoms and am wondering if it can be cured once I go to the doctor myself. lol

I REALLY need to get my rear end to an ENT rather than my pcp dr. too.

No WONDER why you aren't feeling well and are always feeling so weak and tired.
what exactly did the Cat Scan state? Did you request a copy of it for yourself?

What type of surgery will be needed in order to correct the problem? what damage is done and to what part of the sinus exactly? is it the frontal or one of the others?
do you have a deviated septum?
I"m curious as to what the ENT's do as far as types of surgery on the sinus's and how long is recovery/

one time i was in the hospital for out patient ambulatory surgery and I saw a patient being wheeled out on a gurney with their nose packed with cotton. I thought to myself "DEAR GOD"! if they ever did that to me, I'd die of a heart attack because I wouldn't be able to breathe AT ALL! just the thought of it is clostaphobic! lol
I never in my life thought i'd wind up having such problems with my sinus's.
It seems like every part of my body has something wrong with it.
when am I ever going to be pain free and in a healthy state?

one day my sinus is fine, and the next it's causing problems again. It's always smoldering below the surface so to speak..... like the other day when I told you I was feeling better and then today I woke up with that painful pressure you feel when you know one of the headaches are going to cause you such agony. after I took my pain medicine, the pain stopped.

All I can say is that we all need to be assertive or even aggresive with some of the doctors we meet up with. some just don't listen to us. why they don't take us serious is beyond my understanding.
we wouldn't go to them to begin with if we felt there wasn't something wrong, right?
we don't just waste our time getting into the car and taking time out of our day to go and bother their time and our time just to be poked and prodded if something wasn't wrong with us. we know our bodies best!
I'm glad you pushed for this cat scan. otherwise, who knows if further damage wouldn't be done if you hadn't gone?

Please keep us updated. I hope you feel better. Your dr's plan is to put you on more antibiotics and if this doesn't work, THEN? they'll perform the surgery?
your doctor is expecting the damage to be healed by the medication?
I thought antibiotics was just to take away the bacteria, not heal and transform the damage that is already done?

sorry if I"m bothering you or annoying you with so many questions. I'm very curious about this subject being I"m directly involved with a similar problem and want to learn more about it.

I wish you well and make sure you drink plenty of water.

have a great weekend,

Linda

Old 03-01-2009, 09:29 AM   #7
(female)

atwood82 HB User

No problem about the questions. I don't know too much about sinus surgery, I think my doctor is going to discuss my options with me when I go back in 3 weeks. I think his plan is to make sure that the antibiotics have cleared out the infection before he wants to remove the swollen tissue. I do have a minor deviated septum. I didn't look at the cat scan report but I did look at the pictures, and from what he said, I have fluid in all my sinus cavities and air bubbles and evidence of damage from past sinus infection that have caused narrowing.

Luckily I still have my sinus of smell but I think I've only really developed chronic sinus problems over the last few years, so perhaps I haven't had the chance to develop severe damage. I'm hoping that the surgery will prevent future damage and keep me from getting sinus infections. I'm very glad I pushed for a better doctor and you should too. My doctor was annoyed that I didn't get good treatment and told me that being on antibiotics for a short period time only calmed down the infection briefly but it came right back. Which is why I want to get the surgery because this is my first experience with a sinus infection that won't die.

Hope you are doing better.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:57 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm glad to hear that finally you will have a solution.
can you imagine not having to suffer anymore with sinsus problems?

you have actually encouraged me to go to my family dr. and finally see him for my problem. this way further damage can be prevented with mine. I had no idea unresolved sinus problems can lead to potential surgery. THAT I do not want to happen.
but then again, just to be able to smell things again sure sounds very enticing to me.
I also have a new health plan that's becoming effective in 2 weeks, so I have to chose a different ENT that participates with my plan. I didn't like the last one I went to a couple years ago to have a lymph node checked out.

finding a dr. we feel comfortable with is important to me as I'm sure it is with you too.

good luck on your new medication regimine and the surgery in the future.
keep in touch.

Linda

Closed Thread