It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2009, 05:59 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User
Has anyone tried Acupuncture for their sinus/allergies?

Yesterday I tried acupuncture for the first time. It wasn't my most symptomatic day so it was hard to judge. I didn't have any major, OMG.. i feel so much better. I do believe that my head continued to drain all day yesterday, lots of sneezing.

Today, is the first morning after, it was a little rough this morning but every Wednesday is.. i have to be work by 5am. I still feel some puffiness but it isn't the same as my usual full feeling, drag me down fatigue. The brain fog seems to be lifting also.

The acupuncturist of course recommended that i change my diet. He said more and more it has been proven .. you are what you eat. . He said that i need to try a low wheat, low dairy, and low sugar. I think i can try to do the low wheat and eliminate some things.. but not all. My biggest problem is that i do not eat veggies. I"m a little better on fruit but not consistently. I have a thing with textures. I do have V8 Fusion in the fridge but it has a lot of sugar in it.

I definitely do not need to lose any weight and i'm afraid if i cut too much out that i will.

I go back next week for another treatment. I'll give it a few tries....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2009, 10:27 AM   #2
(female)

prettiestpon HB User
Re: Has anyone tried Acupuncture for their sinus/allergies?

i didnt help With my sneezing and reactions to allergens but it did help very much with my sinus pressure and i got immediate drainage. if you are eating dairy, lay off it, and u need to figure out what veggies you can tolerate b/c they will boost your immune system. you should be eating low glycemic complex Carbs such as sweet potatoes, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, beans, oats, so no bread. you will not lose weight, if you Are naturally a small person, and are Eating 5-6 meals a day. if anything, you will have more energy and more stable blood sugar. make sure you are getting about 4-5 oz of protein per meal too. also, water is very important. you need to drink a lot of it for obvious reasons.

you may Also want to try the neil med's sinus rinse once a day.

also do a search for '' your prescription for health.'' it's a radio show. there is good advice for allergies, some of which u might consider useful. a lot of the advice is common sense things that we KNOW we should be doing but just ignore.

hope Ive helped you somewhat.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

I get more relief from the acupuncturist than from the meds the allergist prescribed. It has helped my sinus condition a GREAT deal. I also use a rinse and that is VERY beneficial.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

i do irrigate regularly. I haven't felt or been as full since the acupuncture but i think some of that was a side effect of the Yaz. (I know makes no sense..but..) I go today for another treatment

Old 03-03-2009, 09:09 AM   #5
(female)

prettiestpon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolysods View Post
i do irrigate regularly. I haven't felt or been as full since the acupuncture but i think some of that was a side effect of the Yaz. (I know makes no sense..but..) I go today for another treatment
thats good that u irrigate. 2x a day is the max you should do b/c a doctor told me too much irrigation can irritate your sinuses as well.

are u Talking about yazmin birth Control? cause a side affect of that is definately increased congestion and allergic rhinitis. it was funny, but one of my doctors Wanted to switch me to ortho tri cyclen b/c of my Allergies, but i said i didnt want to switch b/c i liked how the yasmin was working for me.

it's funny but the week the period starts, i Dont know if u have this problem, but i have reeeaally bad sinus pressure and super drained from it. yesterday i took 4 pain relievers. i actually thought i was getting a sinus infection, but no it was just from My cycle, b/c i feel fine today. im almost tempted to switch brands, but the yasmin Does wonders for my skin.

i hope u see some improvement today, but dont discontinue any of your Rx meds. i think You'd wanna build Up your immune system first.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:05 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

I own my own Acupuncture Stimulator, the KWD-808-I. Cost me about $110. I have been using it for years, with electronic stimulation pads, not needles, with some, but limited success, which I started documenting on HealthBoards, in 2003, under Alternative Medicine's thread: "Anyone ever try Chinese medicine (acupuncture/herbals)?" @ [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showpost.php?p=707632&postcount=23[/url]

I originally purchased it to see if it could help me with a variety of health problems, but not for use with my sinus problems. I had solved my chronic sinusitis problems a long time ago through a process I developed called "Upside Down Sinus Flooding", which I've documented on HealthBoards under Allergies.

However...... back around 2003, I tried to get off my Flonase sinus spray. I thought wrongly that I didn't need sinus medication because of my cured Sinusitis. Soon after I stopped taking the sinus spray, my nose stuffed up quite badly.

I did an electro-acupuncture treatment that night. The main points for clearing the sinuses are on top of the head. I shaved the top of my head so that the electrode pads would stick, and then I covered the top of my bald head with the pads. I stimulated the pads on the top of my head, with the KWD-808-I Acupuncture Stimulator for about an hour. The next morning, my sinuses were 100% open and I felt great. Even so, I had to get back on the Flonase, but it was nice to find out that the stimulation of these acupuncture electrode pads on the top of the head works!

Lately, I've used the KWD-808-I, successfully, to relieve some neck, shoulder and upper back pain. Documented under Alternative Medicine at thread: Cured my own left neck, shoulder, back pain with Acupuncture electronic stimulation @ [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=668411[/url] ;

The best part, is that I don't have to rely on our expensive, broken down medical system (soon to get worse), or pills, for help, more than I have to, and I was able to do it at home!

So, for me, at-home Acupuncture was effective, so I would imagine that, in the hands of a medical professional, it could be quite effective for sinus problems and many other ailments. For those of you who don't mind trying new techniques for dealing with sinus problems or pain, give Electro-Acupuncture a try! It's not expensive. You can get a comparable, or better, Acupuncture Stimulator, than I purchased, for much less than the $110 I paid.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 03-03-2009 at 10:06 AM.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:23 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

I do feel better. I think his goal (or what he would like to do)is to eventually get off all rx's for every day use and even some of the supplements my naturopath has me on. I have had less need for daily decongestants, and not as much for the zyrtec. I was on Yaz for nearly 2 yrs. I loved not having a period, no acne, no cramps etc. However, i had the fatigue, still had some pms and the sinus pressure.. nasal passages have always been clear.. just feel like my face is full of fluid. Not sure if it is all in my mind but i've been happier since the acupuncture and the discontinuation of Yaz. I've always read that bcp can affect you that way, but didnt' think it was for me. You just get used to the feeling.

I'm definitely draining again. I'm going back next week. It would be nice if he would come to town another day and i wouldn't have to take sick time. But hey.. if i'm happier, people around me are happier!

Old 03-03-2009, 03:50 PM   #8
(female)

prettiestpon HB User

Quote:
I do feel better. I think his goal (or what he would like to do)is to eventually get off all rx's for every day use and even some of the supplements my naturopath has me on. I have had less need for daily decongestants, and not as much for the zyrtec. I was on Yaz for nearly 2 yrs. I loved not having a period, no acne, no cramps etc. However, i had the fatigue, still had some pms and the sinus pressure.. nasal passages have always been clear.. just feel like my face is full of fluid. Not sure if it is all in my mind but i've been happier since the acupuncture and the discontinuation of Yaz. I've always read that bcp can affect you that way, but didnt' think it was for me. You just get used to the feeling.

I'm definitely draining again. I'm going back next week. It would be nice if he would come to town another day and i wouldn't have to take sick time. But hey.. if i'm happier, people around me are happier!
wow, that's great news. i happy to hear that you're doing well with the new approach. so are u saying u discontinued yaz? im tempted to do the same but it really helps with my period issues, which were pretty debilitaing off the pill. i guess this is how medical doctors trap you into taking prescriptions; they give you no alternative. what kinds of herbs are you taking?

Old 03-03-2009, 04:33 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

Yes, i stopped the yaz when i ran out of refills. Have you tried anything other than the Yasmine? every pill is different and can effect you differently. I see a naturopath/chiropractor. I take phyto b (estrogen)and progon b (progesterone). It took a few months to get the schedule down for my body. The only reason i went back on the pill was because my cycle got to heavy and was missing work due to cramps (like high school!)

I pray i continue to fell better. I'd say the majority of my daily sinusitis symptoms have been gone for about 10 days. This is the longest stretch in YEARS. For the last 2 or so years, i was lucky to get 1-2 days a month where i felt good and rested

Old 03-03-2009, 11:57 PM   #10
(female)

prettiestpon HB User

Quote:
Yes, i stopped the yaz when i ran out of refills. Have you tried anything other than the Yasmine? every pill is different and can effect you differently. I see a naturopath/chiropractor. I take phyto b (estrogen)and progon b (progesterone). It took a few months to get the schedule down for my body. The only reason i went back on the pill was because my cycle got to heavy and was missing work due to cramps (like high school!)

I pray i continue to fell better. I'd say the majority of my daily sinusitis symptoms have been gone for about 10 days. This is the longest stretch in YEARS. For the last 2 or so years, i was lucky to get 1-2 days a month where i felt good and rested
yes, my periods were just like that when i Was off the pill. several years ago i took ortho tri cylcen - - and i dont recall my sinuses being that bad. the Only reason i switched Was b/c my doc, at the time, said yasmin was better for acne, and it was. i Feel as though i might have to switch back.

do u also receive allergy injections?

Old 03-04-2009, 01:40 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

yes, i started that too the end of December. It was kind of ok.. what haven't i tried? last stitch effort. Still keeping my fingers crossed that this isn't a fluke

Old 03-04-2009, 09:22 AM   #12
(female)

prettiestpon HB User

Quote:
yes, i started that too the end of December. It was kind of ok.. what haven't i tried? last stitch effort. Still keeping my fingers crossed that this isn't a fluke
are u saying you didnt think the shots helped you? u really to stick with the shots. sometimes it takes a year to see improvement.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:38 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

i'll give it a year. I didn't have strong reactions to anything.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:59 PM   #14
(female)

prettiestpon HB User

well keep us updated on the accupunture

Closed Thread