It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2009, 08:14 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User
Sinus surgery and what you can eat afterward

I will need to have sinus surgery and am concerned as I read about only being able to have juice or jello the first day and then soft foods after, but no hot food like soup for a while. I'm hypoglycemic and need to eat every 2 hours, so I'm very concerned about my blood sugar the day of surgery, knowing I probably won't get to eat all day and then after not being able to get enough food or protein.

Has anyone had this surgery who can tell me how they handled food afterward?

Old 03-01-2009, 10:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: Sinus surgery and what you can eat afterward

I'm not sure what you've been reading, but there are no specific food restrictions after sinus surgery, except to avoid anything hot or spicy that might cause your nose to run (because you can't blow your nose for several days).

Depending on the type of anesthesia you have, the doctor may recommend that you start with something like jello or other bland food to see how your stomach reacts to the anesthesia - as long as your body tolerates it well you should be back to a normal diet within 24 hours.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2009, 06:09 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Keep in mind that you'll have an IV going from the time you get to the surgery center until you leave so you won't be "starving" your body....maybe your stomach though! I have low blood sugar and haven't had a problem with the day of surgery. You may want to try a piece of toast, frozen or regular yogurt,etc later that day.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:45 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Keep in mind that you'll have an IV going from the time you get to the surgery center until you leave so you won't be "starving" your body.
Make sure you inform your Docs and they can ensure that you the right things in your IV, especially if you have low sugar.

You'll be able to pretty much eat whatever you can tolerate and are ready for. Once you wake up, they will take it slow in order to make sure you don't over do it.

The only "issue" some have is depending on the type and complexity of your surgery, some blood my go down the back of your throat and into your stomach, which could make your a bit upset upon waking. The stomach doesn't digest blood very well, so sometimes, one may even throw up, but it's minor in nature.

Best of luck to you.

Regards,

Ex

Closed Thread