It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2009, 07:58 AM   #1
(female)

seveppa HB User
Sinus Allergies and swollen throat

Just wondering if anyone else goes through this: I have bad sinus allergies - indoor and outdoor - that I have been suffering from since I was exposed to a toxic mold in a "sick building". I have chronic sinus infections, bad congestion, post nasal drip, etc. Some days, such as when the pollen count in my area is high, like today, it is really bad. When I am having a bad day, my throat gets really irritated and seems to swell. I cough a lot and feel like I cannot breathe. Sometimes, the mucos is so bad and thick that I gag and choke on it. A couple of months ago, I had that happen while I was driving and I felt like I could not breath - like my throat was obstructed. I have been told my a Pulmonologist that I have allergic reactive airway disease - not in my lungs but in my throat. I have a lung function test yearly and it is always fine - very good for my age, in fact. Anyway, it is the swollen throat and the near choking that concerns me. I can deal with the headache and facial and tooth pain and pressure - but this feeling that my throat is closing up is awful. It is causing me to have panic attacks and a high level of anxiety. Does anyone else go through this and, if so, what do you do about it???

Old 03-02-2009, 08:32 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Sinus Allergies and swollen throat

are you taking any antihistamines or having allergy shots?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2009, 08:49 AM   #3
(female)

seveppa HB User

I take Claritin D daily and am currently on a course of Biaxin for yet another sinus infection. Pollen count today is 10.2 - juniper, maple and oak trees are the main culpruits. The pollen count has been this high for about 3 weeks.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:19 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Have you considered trying a different antihistamine or going to shots?

Old 03-03-2009, 04:49 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

I would suggest that you see an allergist, if you haven't already. You need to know what, specifically, is causing your problems, when you are talking about problems with your airway, it's SERIOUS. As Titchou suggested, you may want to try a different antihistimine. Claritin is OK, but there are others out there, a good one being Zyrtec which is also OTC now, benedryl is also good but may make you sleepy. I've had a problem with swelling in my throat, and my allergist recommended the following: carry Primatine Mist at all times, it's aerosol epinephrine (what they give IV in the ER for severe allergic reactions) if you feel your throat swelling use immediatly , carry benedryl take ASAP. The allergist also gave me a prednisone script to fill and carry with me, also to take immediatly. Next step is to go straight to the CLOSEST ER. Seriously, I'd get an appt with an allergist or at least your GP ASAP.

Tigg.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:25 PM   #6
(female)

SpinnerDolphin7 HB User

I feel for you! I know you posted this over 5 years ago, but I am now going through a similar thing. I believe I have a sinus infection (I see a doctor in 2 hours) and my airway, at times, feels like it is constricting (especially when lying down, making it difficult to sleep). I think my fear of choking aggravates the condition even more. Kind of hard not to fear it, when it seems so close to happening, though. I am going to ask my allergy doctor about it and hope he has some good pointers. If so, I will post them here. You have probably already found the answer, but I know others may look here and need help as well. Best of luck!

Old 03-17-2009, 10:13 AM   #7
(female)

SpinnerDolphin7 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinnerDolphin7 View Post
I am going to ask my allergy doctor about it and hope he has some good pointers. If so, I will post them here.
My doctor told me my swollen "airway" really wasn't swollen - it was the lymph nodes near it and possibly the constant thick draining of mucus that made it feel that way (plus my anxiety about the whole situation.) I'm sure for others it could possibly be something more serious, but I wouldn't worry about it too much until you see a doctor.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:59 PM   #8
(male)

GeorgiaBoy61 HB User

Hello All:

I have a condition whereby I feel the need to clear my throat often, it is irritated much like having a sore throat, except that I don't have an infection. Anyone here contending with something similar? I've been tested up and down by allergists, but no positives come up in the std. battery of tests.

Closed Thread