It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
(male)

jmhky HB User
Please help... 5 1/2 yr old child with allergies & chronic sinus infections

I am looking for insight from other parents who have a child suffering with chronic sinus infections... whether brought on by allergies or a virus. My daughter is 5 1/2 and since she turned 3 she started getting a horrible cough that would last weeks until she finally developed a fever and her pediatrician would place her on antibiotics. She would get better for about a month, but then the cough always came back and the same thing happens over and over. This has been going on WAY too long and I'm am desperatly looking for answers. The first part of March she was allergy tested and came back positive to grass, trees, ragweed, dust, mold, cat, dog, and strawberries. We had a yorkie and have since found him a new home. I do everything enviromentally that I can to prevent her exposures... especially her bedroom. She took claritin for a year or so and then we switched to zyrtec and have been on that for approx. a year and a half. Last friday, she started back up with a little cough so I started her on flonase, which she was recently prescribed (in march) as part of her treatment for another sinus infection. The allergist said we could either do allergy shots or try different medications. VAzotan and Vazobid were two she mentioned. I am always scared about the side effects of stronger medicines, but at the same time she hates the sound of getting shots all the time. She also had a sinus xray done back in march that showed her sinus cavaties being very congested. The ENT didn't give me any answers. He just said that we might look into removing her adenoids if the shots don't give her any relief. My hubby doesn't like the thought of her having surgery, but we will do whatever it takes to make her better and give her some relief. Also, today when I picked her up from school, her eyes were so puffy. They were really bothering her. I gave her some zaditor eye drops but she was still very swollen throughout her sinuses/eyes. I know she's headed toward another sinus infection! I just want this to stop. It's driving me crazy... I feel so helpless and as her mother I'm doing all I know to do. Similar experiences please share your stories... hopefully success stories. :-) I am desperate to get her the correct diagnosis and treatment. Also, I talked to her allergy doctor office this afternoon and they said to increase her zyrtec to 10 mg (2 tsp), continue with the flonase, and she called in a prescription eye drop, elestat. (I will give the eye drop to her for the 1st time in the morning). I also will be calling another ENT in the morning to schedule a appt. so I can get a 2nd opinion. Thanks for any experiences you have to share!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2009, 08:58 PM   #2
(male)

jmhky HB User
Re: Please help... 5 1/2 yr old child with allergies & chronic sinus infections

I forgot to mention that with her last sinus infection in march, she took 10 days of augmentin, then a few days later (after the sinus xray) her allergist had her on 2 weeks of omnicef and 8 days of prednisolone with the hopes of blasting that stuff out of her sinuses, but with her already experiencing sinus problems again, it looks like it didn't do any better than the usual treatment of antibiotics.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:01 PM   #3
(male)

jmhky HB User

fyi... i am posting under my husbands account... just noticed it says "male" under his login ID. :-)

Old 05-08-2009, 12:12 PM   #4
(female)

leighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB User

Hi, I can sympathize with your situation, although it wasn't my child with the chronic sinus/allergy problems, it was me. I also had one sinus infection after another and was on every allergy medicine, spray and antibiotic known to man. I tested positive for trees, grasses, dust, mold and some foods, and I suffer year round from allergies.

I finally got them under control by doing the allergy shots. I know you mentioned your daughter was seeing an allergist, but you didn't mention if you were doing the shots or not. I would definitely try them first before the surgery, although it usually takes about a year to really notice the effect. I started the shots last year at this time and started to notice a difference about 9 mos into it. I haven't had a sinus infection in over a year which is a record for me. And tree pollen is really high now, and my symptoms are minimal compared to what they used to be at this time.

I know for a little one shots can be horrible, but it sounds like you are at wits end, so it might be worth a try. Good luck to you.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

I'm like leigh.. that child was me as well. I do agree with seriously thinking about the shots. Surgery is usually a last resort unless the child has a blockage or seriously deformed septum or such, and it sounds like that is not the case. Plus that won't keep her from having allergy attacks and all the other symptoms, it would only reduce the infections.
Several things :
Do you have an air purifier for her bedroom? I find those are GREAT. I wish I had one growing up, probably would have helped me a lot.
Think about investigating sinus rinses (such as the Neti pot). I started this 2 years ago but I wish I had discovered it years ago! This helps me so much when my sinuses flare or get congested. You'll have to look up what the recommendations are for a child that young.
For me I take Allegra daily, but I have been getting shots for over 5 years.

Last edited by wakkochic17; 05-08-2009 at 05:06 PM.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:18 PM   #6
(female)

trychocolate HB User

Has your daughter been exposed to old mold or presently living in a climate where mold exists? This can make any situation 100x worse or be the actual cause of it. Some people seem to tolerate it while others' immune system is constantly under attack and they experience health breakdown.

Believe it or not, another immune system attack can be dairy products. While some people don't test positive, it can be an allergen that can cause immune system to act like its constantly under attack. Maybe you have already explored these areas.

Sometimes reputable naturepaths can find the original offenders of the problem and once that is found and regimes are in place, many people have found relief.

I don't know if I've been much help and the above possiblilities might seem 'out there' but have proven to be the causes of problems that have led to serious consequences like the ones your poor daughter is enduring.

I hope you find some answers before drastic action needs to be taken,
choc

Old 05-12-2009, 05:07 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

Have you ever tried an elimination diet for her? I know it is really hard to do with children and especially when in school. My neighbor boys can only have dairy products a couple of times a week. It also depends on what it is...cheese or ice cream etc.

I myself have recently made a drastic cut in wheat/gluten. That has helped me tremendously along with acupuncture. I also see a naturopatic chiropractor. He was able to test me against different foods with my sinuses. I don't have a anaphylactic reaction, more of an intolerance. It takes about 30 days without to clear your system, but she could notice improvement before that.

I mentioned the school thing...my neighbor boys would trade things in their lunch to get cheese. Then one of the teachers narked on them

My acupuncturist gave me a magazine today called "Living without" all about food allergies. There are a lot of personal stories in there, one child with asthma, monthly sinus/bronchial infections. She ended up with pneumonia twice in one year when 6 yrs old. She finally found a Dr, that had her remove dairy and wheat/gluten from her diet. This girl is now in high school and on the track team.

There were just a few stories telling about how people had sinus/allergy issues but didn't have an actual food allergy but more of an intolerance.

it was kind of a last stitch effort for me.

Last edited by dolysods; 05-12-2009 at 05:08 PM.

Closed Thread