It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2009, 02:10 PM   #1
(male)

dannymit HB User
sinus drainage and acid reflux

i went to allergy dr. because my sinus drainage was so bad . he ran allergy test and said i was not allergic to anything. he said i may have acid reflux which he said is connected to heave sinus drainage. i am taking omeprazole 20 mg and it has not helped. my gastro dr said i dont have acid reflux because she has ran test about 2 years ago and nothing. i just want to slow down or stop the heavy constant sinus drainage.help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2009, 05:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: sinus drainage and acid reflux

Quote:
i am taking omeprazole 20 mg and it has not helped.
How long have you been taking it? It can take 8 weeks before you start to notice much improvement if your post nasal drip is caused by acid reflux.

Quote:
my gastro dr said i dont have acid reflux because she has ran test about 2 years ago and nothing.
What test did she run? The only reliable diagnostic procedure is an endoscopy (when the doctor looks down your throat using a camera on the end of a long tube), and if it was done 2 years ago the results could be different now.

Quote:
i just want to slow down or stop the heavy constant sinus drainage.
Have you tried taking an antihistamine like Claritin or Zyrtec every day for a couple of weeks to see if it helps. While the allergy tests may have been negative, it's possible that you're allergic to something they didn't test you for. You might also try sinus irrigation with a neti pot or SinusRinse bottle to see if that helps with the drainage.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2009, 04:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

I have the same problem as you. Sinus drainage drives me crazy and not sure what direction to go and even covering both allergies and reflux don't help. About the best as far as meds go is Nexium 40 mg twice a day and Steriod Nasal Spray along with Saline Irrigation, throw in some Zyrtech. Mine causes chronic cough to add along with "sniffling" all the time. Good Luck.

CharBerry

Old 06-14-2009, 12:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Same problem here too! I know this has to be LPR (reflux) and allergies. It's so frustrating. I am right there with you.

I take Zrytec, Sudefed, Nasonex, Prevacid, Tums and take food enzymes and do sinus rinses. If I can't get this under control I don't know what I am going to do.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
(female)

tetapouche HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymit View Post
i went to allergy dr. because my sinus drainage was so bad . he ran allergy test and said i was not allergic to anything. he said i may have acid reflux which he said is connected to heave sinus drainage. i am taking omeprazole 20 mg and it has not helped. my gastro dr said i dont have acid reflux because she has ran test about 2 years ago and nothing. i just want to slow down or stop the heavy constant sinus drainage.help
Was the test an endoscopy?
I had really bad sinus drainage too and pernicious anemia (malabsorption)...w. no idea the two were related. Had NO heartburn. So I had to get an endoscopy because of the pernicious anemia as they thought I had celiac disease-turns out I have GERD and I had no idea-I was like, how can you have reflux and no heartburn? Apparently you can. And the gastro guy said that was most likely cause my sinus issues. Apparently it all came about from taking ibuprofen for too many years for rheaumatoid arthritis. Now I gotta figure out a new NSAID to take. I have to say this: recently I had a surgery on my foot due to arthritis and had to stop the motrin (the cause of the GERD) for two weeks-and the sinus thing did go away!

Old 06-14-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Apparently this silent reflux is like this...silent as far as the heartburn thing. Its NUTS!! I don't have heartburn a whole lot. It is crazy! Because I have the Post nasal drip thing BAD! and the mucus thing BAD!! I know for a fact I have bad allergies except for the winter when there is snow on the ground. I keep coughing and clearing. I do get the hiccups and burps alot. I know something is wrong. I am thinking my two gates in the lower and upper esoph. are not holding things back. I am not sure how to fix that. So at this point I guess staying on the Prevacid (which I have only been on for 4 days now) and watching my diet is about all I can do. I am so very frustrated and getting upset only make my throat tighter.

I hope you are hanging in there. It's hard to know wether the allergy post nasal drip is causing the reflux or vice versa so I am treating both. Good luck!

Old 06-15-2009, 05:17 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

In the meantime, are you flushing your sinuses out with the salt water solution. It clears your nose out. Then use the saline spray throughout the day. You can get these items at any drug store. I stop taking the antihistamines because my allergist said they don't help and prescribed me a nose spray. I have problems with my nose rhino something forgot what he said but anyway I am sensitive to hot or cold and elements like grass, pollen but not allergic and it starts the post nasal drip. People with acid reflux suffer worse because it drains into the stomach so your stomach reacts and produces more mucus - a vicious cycle!

Closed Thread