It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2009, 06:27 PM   #1
(female)

Kelly0514 HB User
My Sinus Surgery Experience

I just went through major sinus surgery about 2 weeks ago; I had my deviated septum repaired, turbinate reduction, removal of my concho bullosa, and some balloon thing.

I've seen a lot of ?'s on here from people and not a lot of answers. If anyone has questions about the surgery or recovery, I would be happy to answer them! ... I'm still at home recovering.....

The following user gives a hug of support to Kelly0514:
marsbonfire29 (09-23-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2009, 01:33 AM   #2
(male)

gemini8026 HB User
Re: My Sinus Surgery Experience

Hi Kelly. So far, was it like a switch was flicked and you feel tons better?!?!?

Or are you still swollen and unable to comment on the improvements, if any?!?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2009, 10:45 AM   #3
(female)

Kelly0514 HB User

In terms of ability to breathe, it was much better once I got my splints out compared to before the surgery. (my left nostril was 90% closed from bone structure issues) However, the reason I had the surgery was because of chronic sinus infections so I really can't comment yet on improvements yet.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:56 PM   #4
(female)

painfulneck HB User
Cool Re: My Sinus Surgery Experience

Hi Kelly, By "chronic sinus infection" what did you mean? Constant? 1 or 2 a month. Iget frequent sinusitis-horribly painful with pressure. I can actually tell by looking in the mirror, my eyes look sunken. Good Luck with recovery. painfulneck

Old 06-20-2009, 08:39 AM   #5
(female)

Kelly0514 HB User

I was getting sinus infections about once every other month. Since my left side of my nose was almost completley blocked; my infections never really went away since they couldn't drain. I also had painful infections with a lot of pressure which made it hard to hurt my eyes. In addition, if I was around anyone that was sick and I caught it, it would settle there since that was my weakest spot. I guess it was more difficult for me to breathe than I thought... but I didn't realize it until after my surgery since its been like this my whole life. Have you gone and seen an ENT?

Old 07-08-2009, 12:05 PM   #6
(female)

peggster HB User

Hello!

I am very interested in hearing your outcome....I have suffered severe sinus problems for 10 years, also having been DX'd with a concha bullosa & have not had it removed (doc thought it was allergy related so I do allergy shots). I can no longer irrigate to control sinus conditions as some of the fluid stays in my sinuses making me feel sicker (flu-like) over the next days or weeks. I am seriously considering going to an ENT for surgery at this point for some relief. I have read about the "empty nose syndrome" when you have surgery on the turbinates (where my cyst is). I am looking for a good ENT around Gainesville, Georgia, if anyone knows of one. I had one recommendation I am looking into. Thanks for sharing your story!

Old 07-11-2009, 04:35 PM   #7
(female)

Kelly0514 HB User

So far, things have been much for me since the surgery, but its only been a little over a month so its still hard to tell. My left sinus was 90% closed so breathing is much easier now! As for the sinus infections, I haven't gotten one since the surgery and am keeping my fingers crossed. Fluid was also staying in my sinuses and not draining which was resulting in all of the infections. During the surgery, I had the following procedures done: deviated septum corrected, turbinate reduction, removal of concho bullosa, and balloon septoplasmy. (sp?)

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Old 01-15-2010, 12:04 PM   #8
(female)

dawn53 HB User

Hi Kelly:

I am supposed to have my maxillary sinuses cleaned out plus fixing a deviated septum. I am so afraid of not being able to breathe through my nose when I wake up. Unlike many of the people on here, I have not struggled all my life. This September I began to have almost daily headaches and CONSTANT drainage down the back of my throat. It NEVER stopped. Then in early Dec., it slowed a bit. I have always been aware that my septum was deviated. I saw an ENT last week and had allergy tests. Allergies to molds only. I am so unsure of what to do. I'm severely claustrophobic, so I'm afraid I will panic when I wake up and have to breathe out of my mouth. What was your experience?

Old 01-15-2010, 02:06 PM   #9
(female)

prettiestpon HB User

i had endoscopic sinus surgery 2x. 1st to repair my deviated septum and second to open my maxiallary sinuses and reduce my inferior turbinates. i have bad year-round allergies. do not think this surgery will make your allergies better. if anything you will have improve drainage and maybe better sense of smell. i still experience pain and get approximately one sinus infection a year. i wouldn't say the surgery works like a charm.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:05 PM   #10
(female)

Kelly0514 HB User

When I first woke up from surgery, I didn't have any problems breathing through my nose. Thankfully, I didn't have any packing but that can vary depending on the surgeon and procedures completed. After a day or two, it got "stuffy" but no worse than when I had a severe sinus infection.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:08 PM   #11
(female)

Kelly0514 HB User

Sorry, I forgot to comment on the allergy concern. I also have allergies to most plants and pollen. My allergies have gotten better since the surgery but I'm not certain it is a result of my allergies "going away". One side of my nose was about 95% closed to due bone structure so whenever I had any infection or irritation going on and it was imflammed, it had no where to go. So, once it was corrected and opened up, it allowed room for expansion. So, like I said, I don't think my allergies went away, I think my nose is better aligned to deal with it. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:19 AM   #12
(male)

RT1 HB User

Hi Kelly,

How are feeling after the surgery and also how did you deal with the allergies. Any improviement? My son who is 4 yrs and 8 months just had a CT scan due ot repeat sinus infection and they identified large concho bulosa which the doctor said has to be surgically repaired. i am not sure whether he is planning to remove it or enlarge the opening using baloon sinopasty (?). Please let me know.

RT

Old 07-25-2011, 01:26 PM   #13
(female)

peggster HB User

RT.....sorry to chime in but have dealt with this for many years myself. I have a choncha bullosa in the middle turbinate. I had worked for docs', including ENT, many years & even tho they usually removed this cyst, my doc told me it was due to allergies & did not remove it.

After MANY years looking for the answers, for me it was exposure to a moldy environment causing fungal sunusitis (Mayo clinic study in '99, I believe). I had lived in 3 different houses over a 15 year period of time that all had some type of water intrusion, roof leak, toilet overflow, etc. This is a MAJOR problem for some folks, as 25% of the population has a genetic component where they can't detox mold. If you want to know more, read Dr. Ritchie Shoemaker, MD's many books ("Mold Warriors", "Surviving Mold"). He is trying to get the info out to our docs so they will know how to treat people with this problem.

I was told by a mold savvy doc in Atlanta (ENT deals with fungal sinusitis) that until I stop breathing the mold, it won't go away in my nose. Good luck with your little one. Being mom to 4, grandmother to 3, I know how difficult this most likely is for you wanting to protect the little one. I hope you look into this before surgery & see if there could be something more to it. They are even linking this problem to the rise in childhood asthma. Good luck. Peggy

Last edited by moderator2; 07-25-2011 at 02:03 PM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website

Old 07-25-2011, 07:10 PM   #14
(male)

RT1 HB User

Peggster, can you tell me more about the atlanta doctor you mentioned? it would be nice if you have the name of the doctor.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 07-27-2011 at 10:23 PM.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:59 PM   #15
(female)

peggster HB User

He scoped my nose every visit & compounds different anti-fungal sprays to use, available at Pavillion Pharmacy, same building. He is very thorough. I only quit going to him because he was very adamant that I needed to move out of my house (had mold/leak problems) in order to get rid of the fungal sinusitis. I was unable to do that at the time & felt I was wasting my $ (self-pay) until I did. I now know that IS the first treatment step required with mold exposure. I would definately consider going back to him. He has a reputation as being hard, but he just knows what it takes to get better & doesn't understand why people don't....we don't have the $ he does to do that sometimes. He wasn't willing to do surgery on my concha bullosa until I got rid of the fungal aspect, if I still had a problem. He recommends a Bill Meadows in Atlanta for mold remediation, but he's very expensive & wanted $2500 to come check out my house in the mountains, 1-1/2 hrs north.....I've heard of people spending tons to remediate & it's not good enough for them, as you can become highly sensitized to even dead mold that doesn't bother anyone else. Hope that helps. Wishing you wellness.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 07-27-2011 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Please read the Posting Policy. Thanks.

Closed Thread