It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2009, 05:11 AM   #1
(female)

deannaj1183 HB User
Question Chronic Cough/Sinusitis?

Good morning everyone...

I guess I am just looking for people that have had similar experiences to mine, and what solution you finally had...

I've had a cough since March/April. Almost EVERY night and most days too. Turned into bronchitis in May, had meds, Then diagnosed with chronic sinusitis.

I've had severe headaches and pressure, though not as much lately. 4 rounds of antibiotics, 3 rounds of steroids. Normal head and sinus CT. No allergies. I have asthma, but it is controlled. Diagnosed by allergist with acid reflux. Tried Nexium for a month, didnt really help much.

I can feel the cough about to start as a tickle in my throat. I cough very hard, usually to the point of gagging, and occasionally vomiting.
Every night I have 2 or 3 episodes (unless I take Tussionex), and usually at least 2 during the day.

I can't sleep, I get on everyone's nerves at work, I have to watch what I eat cause it may irritate my throat and make me cough.

I'm FINALLY seeing an ENT this afternoon. I only hope they can give me some kind of relief because I feel like I will be coughing forever!

EDITED TO ADD:
Oh yeah, I'm 25, in generally good health, slightly overweight (working with a personal trainer to take care of that), I don't smoke, drink very rarely, drink lots of water, etc.

Last edited by deannaj1183; 09-02-2009 at 05:12 AM. Reason: adding details

Old 09-03-2009, 03:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: Chronic Cough/Sinusitis?

Your symptoms sound very much like GERD-related cough and sinusitis. Unfortunately, taking Nexium for a month is not enough to really treat GERD. It takes about 90 days to really see much improvement, and may require additional lifestyle changes to really get it under control.

Seeing an ENT is a good step 'cause the doc will be able to rule out any structural sinus problems. You should also consider a longer course of Nexium to see if you see improvement - it takes time for GERD-related chronic cough to improve so be patient.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
(female)

painter207 HB User

I have to agree with you. I did the reflux diet, lost 27 pounds,and everyone said I was way to thin.....so....I started to eat and drink things I should not have ingested. But I still do not drink coke or pepsi, or eat chocolate. Oddly enough today way a real good day as far as the throat goes. so maybe there is hope yet. Thanks for your comments.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:11 PM   #4
(female)

HAAR HB User

Please know that chlorine tap water can cause endless daily coughing. I personally know because my children went through it when they were 3 and 6 years. Our 3 year old suffered the most because she was drinking more of the tap water than our 6 year old. After ten months of non stop coughs that would get so bad they could not sleep and needed antibiotics to clear up serious congestion, I found the cure. Other treatments from the pediatricians were also used but only worked a few days and the coughing would resume. I had taken a note and placed it in our kids medical box as to when the coughs started, and one day ten months later we discovered through our water company (the water company had been chlorine free) the we had been getting chlorination into our water supply at the same time (dates were a match) the coughs started. we started using bottled non chlorine water for their juices etc. The coughs stopped within 48 hours. our kids can't be the only humans in the world with this chlorine sensitivity/allergy. To this day even with my children being ages 22 and 19 if they start drinking chlorinated tap water at school work or a friends house the cough comes back.
The most noted return of the coughs after having years of no coughing came when our 6 year old became Jr high age and went to school and started P.E every day and started drinking from the water fountain at school because he was so thirsty. The cough came right away and as soon as I heard the coughing I asked questions to him and realized what was happening. He started using bottled water and ...no cough.
I am so grateful for a cure if our children had tap chlorine water as newborns the outcome would of been much graver.
just in case you has the same sensitivity as our children. How easy it was to just avoid chlorine tap water v.s. all the hundreds if not thousands of dollars spend on medications. Too bad our pediaticians did not have knowledge of this since it must be so rare. We could of avoided so many doctor visits and my kids would not of been coughing for ten months straight.
Our pediatician was also suggesting our daughter was developing asthma. Shes 19 now and has never had any asthma.
Maybe this information can help you and others.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
(female)

Coughalot HB User
Unhappy Re: Chronic Cough/Sinusitis?

Hey deannaj1183 and everyone, I'm new to this and your post hit home the most with me because I suffer a gagging chronic cough. I have suffered with this since around Sept/Oct 2009. I have seen about 5 doctors, I taken prednisone, cough syrup, and 3 or 4 different antibioctics - I'm currently taking generic prilosec with nasal spray. None of these have worked. I've been in chronic pain for almost two years so I do take pain medications that which are the only thing that stop my cough for a short time. I work in a cramped office which I disrupt regularly - the office with generic air which seems to trigger the coughing fits. Whenever the vent in my home turns on that triggers the coughing fit. The cold air from the car vent triggers it as well. For the most part though I could just be sitting doing nothing and I start coughing so hard I have loss of bladder control, I throw up any food I have just eaten but usually it's a thick mucus sometimes with small dots of blood, my rib cage hurts so bad, it hurts to laugh even. My entire upper body is constantly sore and tender to touch from this cough. My upper abdomen is swollen and I get full before I've really even eaten. My face is slightly swollen when I wake up and after having coughing fit. Suffering for about 6 months I have pretty much cut out my social life and my attendance suffers because I cannot find a cure for this. I'm 39 and have never been pregnant, and I'm not sure if it is related but, have not had period since May 27, 2009. I can relate to what you are going through but the only answer I have is that percocet seems to work to mask the problem. Since starting this post today I did read a post regarding Lisinopril - which I starting taking for high blood pressure just around the time the cough started. So now instead of thinking that this cough is caused by GERD it may be a combination of GERD and the Lisinopril. If you or anyone else has any answers to really help please I can't take this anymore - I appreciate any positive input. Thank you

Old 03-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

The most common causes of chronic coughs are:

-Allergies
-Asthma
-Acid Reflux
-Post Nasal Drip

Often when I have a chronic cough, I'm dealing with getting all under control at the same time.

Good luck,
MountainReader

Closed Thread