It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2009, 05:35 AM   #1
(male)

Dave56789 HB User
How to get mucus to drain from sinuses?

Recently, I had a CAT scan of my sinuses. It revealed mucosal thickening in the ethmoidal and maxillary sinuses. Also, the mucosal thickening is causing the ostiomeatal complexes to narrow. My question is how can I get this mucus to drain? Iím using a neti pot Ė does that work on the ethmoidal and maxillary sinuses? Would something like Mucinex help?

Old 09-25-2009, 09:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User
Re: How to get mucus to drain from sinuses?

Hi Dave:

You could certainly try those options! Every dr I see tells me to use Mucinex DAILY because I stay so congested and generaly produce an insane amount of mucus...my anti-medicine husband says that is because of the mucinex and sometimes I wonder if he's right!! Seems we allergy suffering folk can't win for loose!

I use the Sinus Rinse bottle though, not the netti pot, as I was told the bottle rinses further up and the pot can't be used if you get stuffy ears. I do, so I play it safe w/ using the bottle, but that is just me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: How to get mucus to drain from sinuses?

Quote:
Recently, I had a CAT scan of my sinuses. It revealed mucosal thickening in the ethmoidal and maxillary sinuses. Also, the mucosal thickening is causing the ostiomeatal complexes to narrow. My question is how can I get this mucus to drain?
When a CT scan shows "mucosal thickening" it's not referring to thick mucus, it's referring to the mucus membranes that line your sinuses being swollen and inflamed.

Mucinex does help thin out mucus but doesn't do anything to reduce the swelling and inflammation in your sinuses. There are several medical options for reducing this inflammation:

1. Try switching from a neti pot to a NeilMed Sinus Rinse bottle. The bottle does a better job of getting the liquid into your sinuses and may provide some additional relief.

2. Ask your doctor about a steroid nasal spray like RhinocortAQ, Flonase, etc. The sprays are very effective at reducing inflammation and, because they are topical, are very safe.

3. Ask your doctor about Leukotriene inhibitors like Singulair and Zyflo. These are medications that block the allergic inflammatory response in the body and, over time, they should help reduce the inflammation as well.

If none of those things reduce the inflammation, your doctor may want you to try a brief course of oral steroids to help reduce the inflammation. Once the inflammation is under control it's important to keep it from getting inflamed again, so be prepared to continue using saline irrigation and any other medications at a maintenance dosage.

The Following User Says Thank You to gcsjr For This Useful Post:
lillianeva (04-24-2012)
Closed Thread