It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2009, 09:52 AM   #1
(male)

tjphillips HB User
chronic sinus headache and fatigue

Hi. For several years i've had sinus pressure which i thought was due to a deviated septum. I had a septoplasty in '05 but it didn't make any difference, the symptoms continued to worsen.

I was diagnosed with chronic sinusitis in oct '08 and surgery was recommended. I decided to try everything else first but the symptoms got worse and surgery became the 'last 'resort'. So i went back to ent in August this and the consultant told me i no longer had chronic sinusitis! But i still have these symptoms!

They get worse on a daily basis and have really impacted on my life. The sinus pressure/tension is unbearable and no medication or naturopathic alternative i've tried works. Coupled with that i have severe fatigue and i can barely walk some days. It's overwhelming. Last time i saw the consultant i explained this and she prescribed me amitriptyline and referred me for a ctscan.

The amitr. made my symptoms worse but i'm willing to try it again at this stage. But what i don't understand is how i had sinusitis which would explain the symptoms but now it's gone yet i still have the symptoms and they continue to worsen!

Add to that the fact that the sinusitis wasn't causing any symptoms and i am extremely confused! How is this possible? Could the ct scan have been wrong?

As i say the symptoms continue to worsen. I've been told that there may be no cure and i may only be able to manage the condition but i'm certain there's something there but what if the ct scan shows nothing (i was told this is a possibility)? I'm really at a loss as to what to try next.

Sorry if this post isn't very coherent but i'm in a mental fog most of the time. I've tried to be as clear as i can but just ask if anything doesn't make any sense or there are gaps that need filling. Thanks!

TJ

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
(male)

slater1182 HB User
Re: chronic sinus headache and fatigue

have you tried the sinus flushing listed in allergies section?

i have used with good success, but read thru and see if you think it will help you.

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=139765

Old 10-05-2009, 06:32 AM   #3
(male)

tjphillips HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by slater1182 View Post
have you tried the sinus flushing listed in allergies section?

i have used with good success, but read thru and see if you think it will help you.

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=139765
No but that is something i will look into, thanks. I will call my GP today and make sure i'm ok to try it. I don't know if it's clear in my post but i don't have any other symptoms apart from the sinus pressure pain and fatigue. There's no discharge or post nasal drip or anything like that. I don't have an infection and i can't remember ever having one.

I did spend 3 years on a building site which involved a lot of demolition on an old victorian house and we were exposed to a lot of crap. In the loft there were several inches of pigeon crap and coal dust that had been there for over 100 years. We wore protective equipment but stuff got through and usually at the end of the day i would blow black stuff out of my nose. It was a dusty old house! It was a renovation so there was a lot of cement, plasterboard, wood and mdf used as well so lots of exposure to dust from those materials.

I'm pretty sure this has something to do with but a previous gp didn't think it was related.

I think it's possible something is stuck up there which is causing the problems but would it show up on a ct scan?

I think flushing is worth a try and if it doesn't work i can eliminate the possibility that there is sonething stuck up there. I think the odds are good given the fact that i had a deviated septum and my left nostril was closed.

I'm not optimistic about the scan been fruitful so i am looking into all possible alternatives. I'm also looking for anything that's useful for relief in the short term. I've tried all sorts from nasal rinsing, various tinctures, colloidal silver, oil swilling, acv, serrapeptase, sinus oil, chinese/herbal medicine etc but nothing has worked on the symptoms.

Is it possible that the swollen sinuses were just the tip of the iceberg? That there is something deeper in my sinuses that is not so easily removed and causing these symptoms i'm experiencing now? I've asked GPs these questions in the past and gotten nowhere so i'd pretty much forgotten about it but now i think about it would explain a lot.

Thanks and great website btw, lots of useful information here.

TJ

Old 10-11-2009, 06:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

have you been to an allergist (food allergies)? For about the last 8 months i have been seeing a acupuncturist and it has helped tremendously. Overall well being feeling. He also recommended that i eliminate wheat/gluten from my diet, said i would never feel better unless i did. The year previously, my chiro had made the suggestion but i laughed it off. My symptoms.. the fatigue, near daily sinus pain, headache, brain fog.. It has improved so much not eating wheat/gluten products. Unfortunately it takes about a month before you get the full reaction or reduction of your symptoms. It is more expensive, but i was desperate for relief and this in combination with acupuncture i'm on my way to about 80% improvement. If i was 100% wheat/gluten free, i'm sure i'd be even better

Old 11-03-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
(male)

tjphillips HB User

No but food intolerance was suggested by someone i spoke to recently. Unfortunately they wanted to charge me for a test and follow up consultation to find out.

Two people that have mentioned that recently based on what i wrote/said...

I did ask a GP about food intolerance after your post but they said all i can do is eliminate foods from my diet for a month. Surely a test would be a quicker way of finding out!

Are these food intolerance tests that you can buy any good?

Sometimes i can feel worse after i've eaten if that's a symptom. I have no idea what to think. I've been trying for a long time to find out and eliminate what's causing my problems but have gotten nowhere. It would make sense though. I don't think it's environmental but how do i find out if i'm getting bupkis from the doctors.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

There is a blood test for celiac's but it won't be positive if you are just intolerant. I'm lucky and just intolerant. I do eliminate all obvious wheat/gluten, but there are hidden ingredients that still cause issues for most. Last week i had a brownie.. i was "ok" then another day i had a biscuit and sausage gravy... i was miserable, very fatigued that day and the next. Sinuses were a mess.

I go to a naturopath/chiropractor that does meridian stress assessments and muscle testing/kinesiology. Some people do not believe in it but it has helped me a great deal. I had the biggest reaction to wheat.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:44 PM   #7
(male)

symbal HB User

I had similar problems to you and went through tests on sinus, throat, chest, head and more and for years doctors were baffled.. if not already done ask doctor for blood test for B12 levels to check if you deficient, also your tiredness after eating is also a sign of it.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:19 AM   #8
(male)

tjphillips HB User

Thanks for all your replies. I'm at a complete loss as to what's causing my sinus problems; had a CT scan recently and it's clear! I can deal with fatigue and not feeling well but there seems to be no end to my sinus symptoms getting worse and no definitive answers as to what's causing them. There has to be something whether it's neurological or otherwise.

My GP thinks that all avenues with ent have been exhausted; should i bite the bullet and pay for a private consultation? Maybe acupuncture is worth trying next.

He also thinks i should learn to adapt to my condition but how can i adapt to something that gets worse on a daily basis? I am trying but i don't plan on being like this for the rest of my life!

Old 11-23-2009, 05:44 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjphillips View Post
... I did spend 3 years on a building site which involved a lot of demolition on an old victorian house and we were exposed to a lot of crap. In the loft there were several inches of pigeon crap and coal dust that had been there for over 100 years. We wore protective equipment but stuff got through and usually at the end of the day i would blow black stuff out of my nose. It was a dusty old house! It was a renovation so there was a lot of cement, plasterboard, wood and mdf used as well so lots of exposure to dust from those materials.

I'm pretty sure this has something to do with but a previous gp didn't think it was related.
Sounds like your Immune System could have become dysfunctional, and from now on your body will react negatively to small, trace elements of environmental toxins, allergens, pollutants, etc.

Have you ever had allergy shots?

To me, the best, least expensive approach to allergy shots is for the Allergist to inoculate you with a small dose of common tree, grass and weed allergens for your area. That way you can avoid testing and get some protection against the allergens that might be causing your sinus misery.

If the allergy shots work, you will notice almost immediate relief right after your first shot. Not total relief, but some relief, which would be a positive influence for you to to continue the shots.

Quote:
I think it's possible something is stuck up there which is causing the problems but would it show up on a ct scan?
The odds of that are slim to none.

Quote:
I think flushing is worth a try and if it doesn't work i can eliminate the possibility that there is sonething stuck up there. I think the odds are good given the fact that i had a deviated septum and my left nostril was closed.
The sinus flooding with Peroxide is very caustic and is only intended to protect against sinus infection, not allergies. If your sinus misery is caused by allergies and an environmentally damaged Immune System, then the sinus flooding with Peroxide will only make your sinus misery worse.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 11-23-2009 at 05:46 AM.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:15 PM   #10
(male)

tjphillips HB User

Hey thanks for all your help and advice.

Just a quick post really to say i think it is a food intolerance. I have looked at the symptoms and it's a good candidate. I have been getting nettle rashes on my knees and feet for a while but i hadn't made the connection. However a bit of research shows that a nettle rash is a symptom of a food intolerance. The sinus problems, fatigue, breathlessness and general malaise would all point to this. Everything else has pretty much been eliminated so not much else is left.

I recently got an acupressure band called a qu-chi to try and eliminate any environmental causes. Has sold really well and is clinically proven to alleviate the symptoms of hayfever and allergic rhinitis. The guy who designed it is letting me try one out to see if it helps with my symptoms. I've been slightly better today but it could be coincidental.

Anyway i got one of the yorktest food allergy tests which i'll be sending tomorrow and hopefully i'll have results next week. The first stage is just a positive or negative. The second part costs £245!

Anyway thanks again. I'll update the thread when i get some answers. Cheers!

Old 12-08-2009, 03:31 AM   #11
(female)

Dizzygal HB User

Amytriptiline is a trycyclic. Antidepressant so I don't know why that would be prescribed and may be contributing to the brain fog. Sounds like allergies to me, I went to a naturopath who ran blood tests for allergies and found out sensitivity to eggs and yellow food coloring. I noticed on my own that milk, soy, and wheat will also bring on headaches, stuffy nose, sinus drainage, etc.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:32 PM   #12
(male)

tjphillips HB User

The amitryptiline was prescribed for neurological pain. As i suffer with fatigue the side effects weren't tolerable so i had to stop after a few days.

Previously i had full blood screenings and tests and all have been clear. I was back at ent this week and the doc had a really good look with his endoscopic camera, he used a spray to open up my sinus passages to go all the way to the top. There is no blockage that could be causing my symptoms apart from some mild rhinitis. My sinuses are draining properly so there was nothing else ent could do for me apart from surgery.

So i am to see a neurologist next. What was reassuring was that the consultants i've seen both said they had seen people with similar symptoms that had been due to neurological conditions and had responded well to medication. Otoh some don't respond at all.

Last edited by hb-mod; 01-23-2010 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Removed Quote of immediately preceding post. Please use "Quick" Reply rather than "Quote" Reply. Thanks!

Old 01-23-2010, 04:03 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

gullyfourmyle HB User

I have had similar symptoms and due to the exact same situation - working in a construction environment without protective equipment.

CAT scans only show so much. MRI worked in my case.

Your situation sounds like you have impacted plaster, drywall or cement in your sinuses. When you inhale these substances, they eventually harden just as they would if they were part of a wall. When your lungs get full of this stuff the condition is called Concrete Lung. Drywallers who tend to think they are superheros with lungs of leather are the usual victims. They are usually surprised to learn that medical insurers don't cover that sort of self abuse so they end up as a financial boat anchor tied to an oxygen machine for as long as they last.

Anyway, your condition sounds like the explorations were not done properly or extensively enough.

You should try sinus irrigation too. All concrete and drywall products are water soluble. If you are persistent enough with the irrigation, you will flush it all out - an option not available to people with that muck in their lungs.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:13 PM   #14
(male)

tjphillips HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gullyfourmyle View Post
I have had similar symptoms and due to the exact same situation - working in a construction environment without protective equipment.

CAT scans only show so much. MRI worked in my case.
The last CAT scan i went for was initially going to be an mri which i thought made sense but then it was changed to a CAT scan. I questioned the change several times and was reassured that the CAT scan would show anything that was causing my symptoms. So what did the MRI show that the CAT scan didn't? I guess i'll have to request an MRI. I thought the consultant would have at least referred me for an MRI to cover the bases but they were fairly adamant that my sinuses were fine.

Quote:
Your situation sounds like you have impacted plaster, drywall or cement in your sinuses. When you inhale these substances, they eventually harden just as they would if they were part of a wall. When your lungs get full of this stuff the condition is called Concrete Lung. Drywallers who tend to think they are superheros with lungs of leather are the usual victims. They are usually surprised to learn that medical insurers don't cover that sort of self abuse so they end up as a financial boat anchor tied to an oxygen machine for as long as they last.
It's hard to know what to think as it feels like there is something stuck in my sinuses. I asked a few docs about the possibility of it being due to anything i'd breathed in while doing the building renovation and it was dismissed. I have also had breathing difficulties since i quit smoking which haven't improved...

Quote:
Anyway, your condition sounds like the explorations were not done properly or extensively enough.
You have no idea! I've been trying to get to the bottom of this for 5 years. It took 3 before i got a referral for a CAT scan. Even now i'm left questioning things and i'm no closer to finding the causes. At least i know my sinuses are fine!

Quote:
You should try sinus irrigation too. All concrete and drywall products are water soluble. If you are persistent enough with the irrigation, you will flush it all out - an option not available to people with that muck in their lungs.
I was doing irrigation with a neti pot for a while but it made absolutely no difference. The second time i used one of those neilmed neti pots so i could use a bit more pressure to flush anything out but it didn't do anything. Perhaps it attributed to curing my chronic sinusitis but it offered no relief. Is there anything else worth trying?

Maybe it is nerological but it feels very much like it's my sinuses. It's debilitating and gets worse on a daily basis. The only thing that offers any relief and makes it more bearable is wearing my glasses. I searched the forums for info on facial pain syndrome and came across this thread: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=716892&highlight=facial +pain+syndrome

The initial post pretty much describes what i've been going through. Anyway thanks for replying, you've given me a couple of things to consider and i will bring them up next time i see my GP. Cheers,

TJ

Old 01-25-2010, 05:47 AM   #15
Inactive
(male)

gullyfourmyle HB User

The facial pain may well be from something your doctors have not yet considered. In my case, my facial pain included the entire right side of my head. I looked like I'd had a stroke. For over a month I was in and out of emerg for morphine.

When I was finally investigated by an ENT guy, I asked if there weren't nerves within the middle ear that might be impacted and he said yes - one in each ear. I said, Bingo! That's got to be where the pain is coming from.

When he operated, he found after clearing away a small mountain of infection (which might be part of your problem) that the nerve he told me about was just dangling there minus its bony sheath. He somehow rebuilt me a sheath to protect the nerve.

The pre-op pain was so great I needed only minimal pain killers after the operation even though my right ear had been partially cut off because the head pain was gone. My face immediately started going back to normal and I regained the musculature on that side of my head.

They ENT guy who performed this operation is one of only three doctors in Canada who can perform this operation so I was pretty lucky.

The difference between the MRI and the CAT scan was in the detail. Each shows the inner topography a little differently. But the thing is, if the ENT guy reading the scans is not up to the level my guy was, he is not going to see what is right in front of him.

The danger with ear infections that doctors fail to mention is that an aggressive infection literally erodes the bone of the skull. If left long enough, the infection can eat right though the skull into the brain case. Once that happens, brain fluid starts leaking into the inner ear and you end up with a swamp in your head.

Something along those lines may be happening in your case. You need an expert like my doctor.

If you want to pm me I can give you more details in case you want to see him for a second opinion.

Closed Thread