It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2009, 05:31 PM   #1
(female)

brenda7767 HB User
gerd-heavy sinus drainage

i have many symptoms of acid reflux. the one i don't notice others talking about is my sinuses in the back of my throat are contsantly draining throughout the day. at times i cough so hard that it seems like i'm vomiting and will cough a large amount of flem out of my sinuses, Not my lungs.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:37 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: gerd-heavy sinus drainage

I've had chronic sinusitis and reflux for years. I didn't get the significance of the connection for the longest time. I just knew both gave me a chronic cough.

I had surgery last year for my reflux. I've only had two mild sinus infections since I got the reflux under control. In the past, I would spend up to 8 months a year with active sinus infections.

I definitely believe in the sinus-reflux connection. I think with the LPR, the acid is coming up high enough that it can irritate the sinuses as well as the throat.

Good luck getting things under control.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2009, 09:29 AM   #3
(male)

mucous HB User

Hi, I have only recently been diagnosed by an ENT consultant as having acid reflux (although I am now waiting to see a gastro consultant and have scope down my throat).

To be honest I am not sure how long I have had the symptoms but my sinus drainage was certainly one of the first symptoms. In fact it included ear ache, sore throat, croaky voice etc etc. For a while doctors would just treat them as throat infections so I would get a course of anti-biotics and it would inevitably get better until the next time. This went on for a while until my doctor asked me how my stomach was. I basically said to him that it was fine. After his question, I realised that I do burp a lot and I mean a LOT!! This prompted him to prescribe me some PPIs and refer me to an ENT consultant. I did think he might have been leading me up the garden path and queried the likely hood that Acid reflux can cause all these symtoms (it just didn't seem logical to me) to which he replied "absolutely!".

Anyway upshot is that I went to an ENT and he commented on how much catahrr I had. Doubled my dose of PPI and suggested that I start using a sinus rinse.

I have had a burning sensation on and off for the last 3 months and to be honest I haven't noticed that great a difference with the PPI's which is why the ENT is referring me to a gastro, but to answer your question, YES, Acid reflux can cause sinus issues. I think it is due to the body reacting to the acid by producing mucous from both the sinuses and the throat.

Hope it works out for you.

Cheers

Old 12-18-2009, 07:19 PM   #4
(female)

karronkay HB User

I too am having heavy sinus drainage and was told I had gerd and treated for it. They put me on a strong antibiotic and the sinuses got better and the coughing stopped. but since then after I took the antibiotics it's all back again. I am taking a acid reflux medication but my sinuses are worrying me. Does anyone know or have had the problem of sinuses draining all day and all night then affecting your lungs? I am wheezy when breathing and some days it is actually hard to breath. I have never had bad lungs in all my life. I am 65 and have always been healthy. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Old 09-05-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
(male)

kurt0 HB User

Hey totallly relax. First off. Relax. 1 more time. relax. Everything you said goes hand in hand with acid relfex. All you have to do is cure that. Cure the acid reflex. Eat a spicey meal i bet you will get anxiety attack. So its acid reflex. your not going crazy. theres nothing wrong with u. k? and this isnt BS. look it up. anyways for the acid reflex use apple cider vineegar. look it up. NOTTTTTT VINEGAR! apple <---- cider vinegar. organic is the best kind. ok?! send me an inbox or something if you want more help.and before i go get some meds for the GERD too. (acid reflex) they do help.next step. Get a spray that drys up mucus. muscus drips into the stomach causing acid reflex.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:55 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

The two - reflux and sinus issues/drainage - go hand in hand. Many people (especially those who don't have severe allergies, etc.) see significant improvement in their sinus issues when they get their reflux under control.

Closed Thread