It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2009, 09:18 PM   #1
(male)

thejoker999 HB User
My colds always turn into sinus infections. How do I stop this from happening?

Here is pretty much what would happen. It would start off as a sore throat, and I will try to take vitamins to kill the germ which never works and the germ always wins. The sore throat turns into a bad cold within a day or 2 usually and then as soon as I feel I may be starting to get better, it will blast into a sinus infection with all the sinus symptoms (headache, faceache, sinus pressure, green mucous, etc..) and then I would need an antibiotic for it. Why can't I just be normal and get a cold and then have it go away like everyone else without turning into a sinus infection? I get these so often and I know taking so much antibiotic can't be healthy and it also gives uncomfortable side effects. What am I doing wrong? Even during the cold, I will rest, drink tea, drink liquids, soup and everything I'm supposed to but it doesnt work and it always turns into a sinus infection. I already hate getting sick so much, now I have to worry about getting sick so much and worry about the sinus infection. Can someone give me some advice on this? What do I do? I can't deal with these sinus infections no more. HELP ME!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2009, 06:33 PM   #2
(female)

faith41 HB User
Re: My colds always turn into sinus infections. How do I stop this from happening?

You probably can't keep sinus infections from happening. I have a chronic sinus condition and I am on antibiotic about every 4 months. My doctor says that after all these years this is just the way it is. I said I was concerned about taking so much antibiotic but he said I need it so take it. When I have become resistant to one we switch to another and now amazingly I am back to the 'old one' and not resistant to it any more.
He also has me irrigate the sinus with a saline solution. You can buy a kit in the drugstore with 100 packets and a squeeze bottle or neti pot whichever you prefer. He suggested the one with squeeze bottle to me. (Not those expensive i ounce bottles! )When I am getting a sinus condition I use it 3 times a day and 2 times a day otherwise. Sometimes I can head it off it works so well.
If you have just started getting sinus infections and your sinus aren't shot like mine you would probably reduce infections drasticely.
Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2009, 06:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
Re: My colds always turn into sinus infections. How do I stop this from happening?

I too had sinus infections everytime I got sick. I had jaw surgery and my sinus cavities were cut so I think I developed scar tissue. Antibiotics were necessary everytime. However, I have reduced the infections. I take a wet washcloth, wring it out and put it in the microwave for approximately 20 seconds. It should be steamy, if not put it back in for another 5. I then put it on my counter and lean over sniffing in the steam. (don't touch or you might burn yourself) Within a few minutes I put it back in the microwave for about 15 seconds and repeat the process for about 15 minutes, inhaling the steam through my nose and mouth. I do it several times during the day. It keeps everything loose, relieves that head pain and don't touch the cheeks pain.

Closed Thread