It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2010, 08:17 AM   #1
(male)

shrzz HB User
How long to wait for Augmentin to work for a sinus infection?

I've had a sinus infection since last October. They couldn't figure out what was wrong so I've been on short courses of amoxicillin, which I didn't even finish because they wold take me off of it. I've also been on steroid nose spray, decongestants, etc. Finally, I had an MRI done this month and it does indeed reveal a sinus infection, so we know we're on the right track.

My doctor has me on Augmentin (850mg) for 14 days. It's been 9 out of the 14 days, and I don't feel any better. The pressure in my forehead/behind my eyes is still there despite the antibiotics. My question is, how long should I wait till I call and tell him it's not working? Since it's friday now, I was thinking of waiting till the following monday to ask.

Since I've had it since October I think it's very severe, and I'm thinking I might need sinus surgery rather than antibiotics. Thoughts on this too?

Old 06-25-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: How long to wait for Augmentin to work for a sinus infection?

Very deep sinus infections like that can take 2 or 3 rounds of antibiotics to clear. Some find Levaquin works best but the side effects can be a deterent.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2010, 02:22 PM   #3
(male)

shrzz HB User

Yeah, the side effects are really annoying, what with the constant joint aches and headaches. What would be your opinion on a sinus surgery/drain though? I mean, earlier today my sinuses felt worse than they usually do.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Are you taking anything else like a decongestant along with the antibiotic? Are you irrigating? I'd try that in addition to the meds before going that route. But it may end up being necessary.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
(male)

shrzz HB User

I usually take a 12 hour sudafed in the morning, the kind you need to pick up at a pharmacy. I take advil for the side effects of the antibiotics, fluticasone nasal steroid spray, and I do nasal irrigation usually twice a day. Today I felt worse than ever- the pressure in my head is worse than it has been in recent memory, and this seems really odd to me given that the exact opposite thing should be happening given that I've been on antibiotics.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:09 PM   #6
(male)

shrzz HB User

My doctor sent me back to my ENT. She says the MRI doesn't show an infection, but just cysts which are normally there. Thus, she doesn't think it's a sinus infection and so it makes sense that the Augmentin wouldn't work. She thinks it might have something to do with my wisdom teeth, so she's having my get x-rays of them tomorrow. I haven't really heard this before, but could wisdom teeth cause this facial pressure I have? I had my teeth x-rayed a year and a half ago and they seemed fine, and my wisdom teeth came in fine (I haven't had them removed) so the ENT believes they may be the culprit.

Any opinions on this?

Old 06-28-2010, 12:13 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

It is certainly possible...and would explain a lot of it.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:32 AM   #8
(male)

shrzz HB User

Yet another update. Dentist said my wisdom teeth were fine, but I had them dropped off at the ENT's nonetheless. For the past couple of days I would randomly have a runny nose, is this my sinuses draining? If so, does this mean the antibiotics are working and I did indeed have an infection?

I'm not sure what to do with it because I just finished my antibiotics today, so if they are working like this I'm afraid that I don't have enough since it's just starting today and I'm out of them.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:07 AM   #9
(male)

Steve in WPB HB User

I strongly recommend you immediately do the 1:10 hydrogen peroxide to water flooding!

I am/was in your shoes and the flooding really helped ...google oprah h2o2 and you will get instructions it is best to do it while on antibiotics. It only stings for 15 seconds but I got my first relief in 2 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-14-2010, 07:33 AM   #10
(male)

shrzz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in WPB View Post
I strongly recommend you immediately do the 1:10 hydrogen peroxide to water flooding!

I am/was in your shoes and the flooding really helped ...google oprah h2o2 and you will get instructions it is best to do it while on antibiotics. It only stings for 15 seconds but I got my first relief in 2 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I finished the Augmentin a while ago with no relief, and I'm waiting on CT scan results of my sinuses. But I might try this to see if it helps, it's different from normal nasal irrigation?

Closed Thread