It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2010, 12:07 AM   #1
(male)

ThePatriot HB User
Question Nasal/Sinus Cyst vs Polyps

Is there a difference between a nasal/sinus cyst and a Polyps? My ENT Dr said my CAT scan showed a cyst on each side of my nose and wants to remove them and at the same time wants to fix my septum. I do not want to have the surgery since I have heard more bad stories than good. Is there any thing I can try instead of surgery for geting rid of them? Would Sinus Wars 13 work? I am plugged up 24/7. Thanks in advance for the response(s).

Old 09-06-2010, 04:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: Nasal/Sinus Cyst vs Polyps

Yes there is a big difference between a cyst and a polyp. A polyp is like a small fluid-filled balloon that grows out of the mucus membranes. A cyst is a pocket of air or fluid that get walled off by tissue (it may swell but it doesn't grow out from the walls of the mucus membranes).

Polyps can be removed, cysts are generally opened so that they can drain normally (though for many people cysts don't cause any significant problems and don't require surgery).

I wouldn't recommend relying on SinusWars to resolve the cyst.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2010, 04:36 AM   #3
(female)

choirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB User
Re: Nasal/Sinus Cyst vs Polyps

According to my medical dictionary, a polyp is a tumor (either benign or malignant) and a cyst is a bag containing a liquid or solid substance.

I had a cyst removed from a sinus in '09, along with several other procedures, including having my septum straightened. The worst part for me was when the packing was removed, and that only lasted for a second or two (my ENT removed the packing very quickly). Debriding was no picnic, but it wasn't horrible. Debriding involves suctioning dead tissue and gunk out of your nose. My ENT did this at a few follow-up appointments after surgery.

I think surgery might be the only way to remove cysts, but I'm no expert. Maybe somebody else can answer that one for you. I've never heard of Sinus Wars 13.

Plugged up 24/7? I've been able to breathe through both nostrils all the time since my surgery. I'm not sure which procedure did it, or if it was a combination of procedures, but it's wonderful. I'd have the surgery again in a heartbeat.

Last edited by choirgirl; 09-06-2010 at 04:38 AM.

Closed Thread