It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2010, 08:35 AM   #1
(female)

Ferdy63 HB User
Exclamation Bad Tasting Mucus & Bad Smell after Sinus Surgery

I had sinus surgery about 3 1/2 weeks ago. I took 10 days of Avelox but still have a lot of nasal/sinus congestion and constant yellow/green drainage. I haven't been able to smell or taste much of anything but have started getting those senses back slowly. I've noticed for the past few days that the post nasal drainage has a really foul taste and every once in a while I get a smell from seemingly inside my nose that is pretty unpleasant as well. Is this normal after sinus surgery? Is it just part of the healing process? I have had a horrible time with recovering from this surgery which I did not expect.
I still have a lot of inflammation in my nose and have a lot of trouble sleeping. I also feel completely exhausted most of the time. I haven't had any fever, though. I would appreciate any advice or stories of other peoples experiences with similar situations. The ENT keeps telling me this is not uncommon but I just don't feel like I'm healing up as I should.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2010, 03:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: Bad Tasting Mucus & Bad Smell after Sinus Surgery

It's not normal to have foul smelling discharge 3 1/2 weeks after sinus surgery. Has your ENT been performing the recommended debriding (removal of scabs to prevent scarring) and are you irrigating to remove excess mucus and help soothe the inflammation?

Most of the time people seem to feel crummy for about a week after sinus surgery but 3 1/2 weeks is a long time to not be noticing significant improvement.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2010, 10:34 AM   #3
(female)

Ferdy63 HB User
Re: Bad Tasting Mucus & Bad Smell after Sinus Surgery

I am doing the rinses twice daily but have not had any debriding. I don't really have any scabs in my nostril area though. Yesterday, I did have a huge green chunk of dried mucus which was flushed out. I mean it honestly looked like a squished caterpillar. It was scary. The doctor is saying as long as I don't have a fever there is nothing to worry about. I'm just wondering if I should see another dr.

Closed Thread