It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
(female)

Ferdy63 HB User
Unhappy Please Help - 2 Months Post Sinus Surgery - Is this Normal?

I had turbinate reduction and septoplasty done a little over 2 months ago. Since then I've taken 2 rounds of antibiotics for infection but I still have a bad smell from inside my nose - something like dirty sweat socks or wet dog that just won't go away. I also continue to have large (quarter size or bigger) hard green chunks of stuff coming out. I'm just getting very frustrated. My doctor is saying allergies are to blame but I'm taking 3 different meds for allergies and I never had this kind of trouble before the sinus surgery. Anyone have any experience with sinus surgery or ideas on what could be causing this? I just want to feel better!

Old 10-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
(female)

choirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB User
Re: Please Help - 2 Months Post Sinus Surgery - Is this Normal?

I had sinus and nasal surgery in April, 2009, including septoplasty and something to do with my turbinates, although I don't know what it was called. I also had a cyst removed and my ethmoids opened up.

I never had the problems you are having...no bad smell...no green junk coming out of my nose. The color green makes me think "infection". I took an antibiotic pill for a while after the surgery and I had an antibiotic nasal spray (mupirocin in a bottle of saline nasal spray) that I used for quite awhile. I still have refills for the spray. I'm supposed to use it if I think I might be getting a sinus infection.

Did you have debridement during your follow-up visits? For anyone who doesn't know what that is, it's when the doctor suctions scabs, scar tissue and all kinds of gross junk out of your nose and sinuses.

I also have allergies. All I'm taking is Flonase nasal spray (daily) and occasionally, Zyrtec or Claritin. Like I already said...no bad smell or green stuff...not even yellow mucus.

Sounds like infection to me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
(female)

Frenzied HB User
Re: Please Help - 2 Months Post Sinus Surgery - Is this Normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdy63 View Post
I had turbinate reduction and septoplasty done a little over 2 months ago. Since then I've taken 2 rounds of antibiotics for infection but I still have a bad smell from inside my nose - something like dirty sweat socks or wet dog that just won't go away. I also continue to have large (quarter size or bigger) hard green chunks of stuff coming out. I'm just getting very frustrated. My doctor is saying allergies are to blame but I'm taking 3 different meds for allergies and I never had this kind of trouble before the sinus surgery. Anyone have any experience with sinus surgery or ideas on what could be causing this? I just want to feel better!
Are you doing sinus flushes/rinses at home twice a day with a squeeze bottle or netipot - morning and night? Also, did your Dr. do post surgical debridements?

I am 5 weeks post-op from septoplasty, inferior and middle turbinate resections and maxillary antrostomies... AND functional rhinoplasty - done by a plastic surgeon. I have seen my ENT 3 times since surgery. Two of those times were for debridements and removal of scar tissue... will go back in two more weeks for more debridement and probably more scar tissue removal. I do nasal/sinus rinses twice a day and use saline quite a bit.

Closed Thread