It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
(female)

PonyLover375 HB UserPonyLover375 HB User
Angry Sinus surgery packing and other scares

I'm facing sinus surgery. I made another post about my situation but got no replies... if u wanna read my full situation search "What do i expect with my sinus surgery" and it has a yellow icon beside it. But to make a long story short i've been sick for years, got the tonsils and adenoids out in 2009 but just started getting terrible sinus problems. I had to switch to homeschooling because of it and i have no life alot of the time. I have a cyst and swollen linings. The ent did an endoscopy and said he saw stuff he needs to fix and he ordered a new CT scan. Im going back and hes planning the surgery.
But i have some questions-

Is sinus packing terribly painful??

Can you be put to sleep for the removal of it?

how long does it normally stay in?

How long till i can get back to working with horses again and get back to normal activities and exercising??

I have asthma and i have attacks if i can only breathe through my mouth or nose alone, so what do i do if i can only breathe through my mouth??

Rate the pain from 1-10 and how did you handle the pain...

THanks. Please write back soon, its killing me because i need to know. Thanks.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:43 PM   #2
(female)

choirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB Userchoirgirl HB User
Re: Sinus surgery packing and other scares

I can't answer all your questions, but I'll see what I can do.

I had sinus and nasal surgery on April 21, 2009 when I was 57 years old. The packing was removed three days later on April 24. Two weeks after surgery, I was given permission to blow my nose and to mow our bumpy lawn with a riding mower. I had to wear a mask when mowing and rinse my nose with salt water as soon as I finished mowing.

The packing itself was not painful. Removing it really hurt, but my doctor yanked it out fast, so it only hurt for a couple of seconds.

I doubt it. The pain didn't last long...a few seconds at most. You can always ask your doctor, though.

How long does it normally stay in?
Mine was in for 3 days.

How long till i can get back to working with horses again and get back to normal activities and exercising??
As I said earlier, I was allowed to mow after two weeks as long as I wore a mask and rinsed my nose afterward. Ask your doctor and follow his advice.

I have asthma and i have attacks if i can only breathe through my mouth or nose alone, so what do i do if i can only breathe through my mouth??
My surgeon placed little tubes through my packing. I didn't know he was going to do this. I discovered it when I woke up after surgery. I was given a catheter and syringe to run water through the tubes occasionally to help keep them clear. Ask your doctor if he places tubes through the packing. Be sure to tell him about your asthma attacks and ask what to do if it happens.

I didn't really have any pain to speak of, so I guess I'd rate it at no more than a 1. My doctor said I would have a headache, but I didn't. He prescribed the narcotic pain killer, Norco. I took them a few times to try to stay ahead of any pain, but I don't think I would have needed them. I only took a total of around 5 to 8 pills, mostly at bedtime because I discovered they knocked me out. By the way...I slept in a recliner instead of in bed.

At my post-op visits, his assistant would spray some numbing stuff in my nose and the ENT would suction junk out of it. It didn't numb it completely, and there was some pain involved, but as soon as he quit, the pain was gone. Try not to worry about it. Easier said than done, I know. But, really, you'll be fine.

Last edited by choirgirl; 10-19-2010 at 05:46 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2010, 03:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Quote:
Are you sure your doctor is going to use packing? Many doctors don't bother with the packing at all anymore. If your doctor does use it, the packing itself isn't painful at all. The removal isn't really painful either just more uncomfortable.

Quote:
It really only takes a second or two to remove it, not worth being put to sleep. You might want to take a pain pill before the removal if you're that worried about it.

Quote:
How long does it normally stay in?
Depends on the type of surgery you're having. The only surgeon I had who used packing removed it within 24 hours.

Quote:
You have to take it easy for at least 1 full week, then slowly ramp up your activity. It will be a couple of weeks before you can do things like working with horses, etc. that will expose you to lots of dust.

Quote:
I would also rate it a 1. Maybe as much pain as a mild headache. They will give you some type of painkillers but I only used them for the follow up debridement visits where they remove the crusts that form in your sinuses (and which can lead to scar tissue). Again, debridement is not painful, just uncomfortable and a little nerve wracking.

By the way, I would talk to your doctor and confirm that he's planning several follow up debridement visits to remove crusts. If not, I would recommend finding a different doctor. The post-surgical follow up for sinus surgery can be just as important as the actual surgery itself, and debridement is one of the things that helps minimize the chance of having to have another surgery later (along with irrigation and medication to treat the underlying cause of your sinus issues).

Old 10-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
(female)

Thank you very much, both of you.
I know for certain that this doctor does use packing and everything. What i dont know is what all he has to do during the surgery because he hasnt seen the CT scans yet. But im sure the pain is probably different for everybody.. depending on what all needs done...
Well does it basically feel like an awful cold? And did you have to stay on bedrest for a week after?
(I take longer to get better from stuff than others because i dont have a good immune system.)
Also... I had a tonsillectomy and it was pure torture for me... is this surgery worse or better? (if you know.)
Thanks again!

Old 10-20-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
(female)

I had a cyst removed from a maxillary sinus, septum straightened, something done to my turbinates (cleaned out somehow, I think), and openings made in my ethmoid sinuses (way up at the top of the nose...between the eyes).

The packing with little tubes through it just felt like a stuffy nose. Immediately after the packing was removed, I could breathe better than I ever could. One and a half years later, there hasn't been one day when I couldn't breathe through both nostrils at the same time. That was new for me. I was a one-nostril-at-a-time breather. It's wonderful!

Nope. No bed rest. I just couldn't do anything that might cause bleeding.

I had a tonsillectomy this summer (July 23). My recovery wasn't bad at all. Maybe I'm just a tough old bird. However, recovery from the sinus/nasal surgery was much, much better.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:43 PM   #6
(female)

Arrow Re: Sinus surgery packing and other scares

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirgirl View Post
I had a cyst removed from a maxillary sinus, septum straightened, something done to my turbinates (cleaned out somehow, I think), and openings made in my ethmoid sinuses (way up at the top of the nose...between the eyes).

The packing with little tubes through it just felt like a stuffy nose. Immediately after the packing was removed, I could breathe better than I ever could. One and a half years later, there hasn't been one day when I couldn't breathe through both nostrils at the same time. That was new for me. I was a one-nostril-at-a-time breather. It's wonderful!

Nope. No bed rest. I just couldn't do anything that might cause bleeding.

I had a tonsillectomy this summer (July 23). My recovery wasn't bad at all. Maybe I'm just a tough old bird. However, recovery from the sinus/nasal surgery was much, much better.

You sound quite tough! LOL things are usually quite a bit harder for me.
Another thing i was wondering about...
When i had my tonsillectomy I had to stay in the hospital all day because i was vomiting and couldnt keep anything down. Is there anyway i can avoid this this time? I dont want to have to stay in the hospital too awful long but i want to be there as long as i need to be. How long was it before you went home with yours?? Thanks again!

Old 10-21-2010, 04:59 AM   #7
(female)

Sometimes, the anesthesia makes people sick. That didn't happen in my case. Mention it to your doctor and/or anesthesiologist. Maybe something can be done to prevent that.

I had my surgery at around 8:00 in the morning, and I was on my way home before noon. I felt really good the rest of the day. I did a lot of napping that day. I don't know if it was because of the anesthesia or because the meds knocked me out.

Has your surgery been scheduled yet?

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything; tell God your needs and don't forget to thank him for his answers. Philippians 4:6 (The Living Bible)

Old 10-21-2010, 01:29 PM   #8
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirgirl View Post
Sometimes, the anesthesia makes people sick. That didn't happen in my case. Mention it to your doctor and/or anesthesiologist. Maybe something can be done to prevent that.

I had my surgery at around 8:00 in the morning, and I was on my way home before noon. I felt really good the rest of the day. I did a lot of napping that day. I don't know if it was because of the anesthesia or because the meds knocked me out.

Has your surgery been scheduled yet?

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything; tell God your needs and don't forget to thank him for his answers. Philippians 4:6 (The Living Bible)
Well the surgery hasnt been scheduled yet but i had a CT scan last monday. the doctor tried to get me in to talk and schedule as soon as he could but the closest appointment open was november 7. Hes a very busy doctor. H said it shouldnt be as hard on me as my tonsillectomy. Im not really all that scared of pain because im so used to it but i am afraid about my asthma attacks with this.
I dont want to be in the hospital any longer that i need to be but i do hope that if i feel that i need to stay a bit longer that they would let me... I have problems with blacking out especially when im sick. I guess it all depends on how i am feeling once i wake up, when i wake up.
I didnt have such a great experience with my tonsillectomy... I went in at around 5:30 in the morning. My surgery was at around 7. Well it took me hours to wake up. When i did and i tried to get up, i threw up and felt dizzy like iwas going to pass out. They just gave me pain medicine and let me go back to sleep... then later at around 4 o clock they made me get up and walk down the hall. That made me dizzy again and i threw up again when i got back.... this time the nurse was telling me i had to drink a whole milkshake. I took two sips and fell asleep. She came back and was upset... then she gave me a popsicle, after i ate the whole thing she unplugged my IV line and sent me off at around 7 oclock that evening. I felt like i needed to stay a while longer, or at least until i could hold something down and not get so dizzy but i guess it was time for her to leave and she wanted to get me out of the way or something. I had an awful reovery too... not pleasant. (as i said before, i take way longer to get recovered than others.) i guess theres no point in me worrying about alot of this tho since the doctor and nurses will know whats best.
I have another question (sorry, im full of them.) Do you know what kind of complications theres a risk of? Thanks yet again. (:

Old 10-21-2010, 01:57 PM   #9
(female)

The only complications I can think of are excessive bleeding and infection. I didn't have any complications. I took antibiotic pills and had an antibiotic nasal spray that I used for what seemed like a long time. He still wants me to use it whenever I think I might be getting an infection.

There's no need to apologize for asking questions. If you don't ask, you don't get answers.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:35 PM   #10
(female)

Frenzied HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyLover375 View Post

how long does it normally stay in?

THanks. Please write back soon, its killing me because i need to know. Thanks.
I am 7 weeks post op from having a septoplasty, inferior turbinate submucous resection( bilateral) bilateral resection of middle turbinates for concha bullosa, bilateral maxillary antrostomies, and a functional rhinoplasty to correct nasal valve collapse on both sides from a saddle nose deformity.
With the rhinoplasty, my nasal bones were rasped, and I have spreader grafts on both sides, alar batten grafts and a columellar strut. I had both an ENT and a plastic surgeon perform my surgery, which was a 6 hour surgery.

My issues were impaired breathing and chronic sinusitis - I had a sinus infection all the time. The pressure and headaches wore me down.

Now, to answer your questions.

I did not have packing, but had two silicone splints sutured to my septum. They stayed in for a week before he pulled them out. It did not hurt, just a weird sensation when they did come. Some Dr.s do packing, others do not. Be sure to ask your surgeon if he routinely does packing or not.
I had a thermoplastic splint on the outside for the rhinoplasty.

Coming out of anesthesia was not fun, but I had phenergan from the get-go and took phenergan everytime I took the vicodin to keep me from throwing up for about the first 4-5 days post-op.

The first two days are not bad, you will be sleeping a lot from the anesthesia. The next 3-4 days after that were not fun and sleeping was difficult. Mainly because I REALLY couldn't breathe much through my nose. Once the splints came off and out, it got a bit better, but things swelled up again to fill in the space and they have gradually been healing . Pain is NOT bad and will be gone in a few days after surgery, then it will just be mildly uncomfortable. Stay on top of the pain, use lots of saline, and then when you get the go ahead, start doing sinus rinses with a squeeze bottle or netti pot. Those help a lot. If things dry out, it isn't fun and the nasal cavity will feel tight.

Exercise- depends on how much surgery you have done, your age, and general health. They usually say around 3 weeks you can start exercising, it just depends on what you had done.

I had a ton of surgery, and I am 37. I'm not old, but I am also not super young either and bounce back quickly. I tried working out at 4 weeks post op. - just getting back into it. It wiped me out and the next day I slept for 13 hours. Week 5 I worked out once or twice, taking it easy, but still wasn't feeling my old self.

For me, it was just this past few days at 6 1/2 weeks that I feel some normalcy and can work out a few days in a row and not need an entire day to recover.

The sinuses take anywhere from 8-12 weeks to resume normal functioning. It is a gradual, day-by-day that they get feeling better. Just know that it is NOT cure all. You are looking for improvement and not perfection. Things don't get better instantly.

If you trust your surgeon and have good communication, things should work out well.

Everyone heals differently.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:34 PM   #11
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzied View Post
I am 7 weeks post op from having a septoplasty, inferior turbinate submucous resection( bilateral) bilateral resection of middle turbinates for concha bullosa, bilateral maxillary antrostomies, and a functional rhinoplasty to correct nasal valve collapse on both sides from a saddle nose deformity.
With the rhinoplasty, my nasal bones were rasped, and I have spreader grafts on both sides, alar batten grafts and a columellar strut. I had both an ENT and a plastic surgeon perform my surgery, which was a 6 hour surgery.

My issues were impaired breathing and chronic sinusitis - I had a sinus infection all the time. The pressure and headaches wore me down.

Now, to answer your questions.

I did not have packing, but had two silicone splints sutured to my septum. They stayed in for a week before he pulled them out. It did not hurt, just a weird sensation when they did come. Some Dr.s do packing, others do not. Be sure to ask your surgeon if he routinely does packing or not.
I had a thermoplastic splint on the outside for the rhinoplasty.

Coming out of anesthesia was not fun, but I had phenergan from the get-go and took phenergan everytime I took the vicodin to keep me from throwing up for about the first 4-5 days post-op.

The first two days are not bad, you will be sleeping a lot from the anesthesia. The next 3-4 days after that were not fun and sleeping was difficult. Mainly because I REALLY couldn't breathe much through my nose. Once the splints came off and out, it got a bit better, but things swelled up again to fill in the space and they have gradually been healing . Pain is NOT bad and will be gone in a few days after surgery, then it will just be mildly uncomfortable. Stay on top of the pain, use lots of saline, and then when you get the go ahead, start doing sinus rinses with a squeeze bottle or netti pot. Those help a lot. If things dry out, it isn't fun and the nasal cavity will feel tight.

Exercise- depends on how much surgery you have done, your age, and general health. They usually say around 3 weeks you can start exercising, it just depends on what you had done.

I had a ton of surgery, and I am 37. I'm not old, but I am also not super young either and bounce back quickly. I tried working out at 4 weeks post op. - just getting back into it. It wiped me out and the next day I slept for 13 hours. Week 5 I worked out once or twice, taking it easy, but still wasn't feeling my old self.

For me, it was just this past few days at 6 1/2 weeks that I feel some normalcy and can work out a few days in a row and not need an entire day to recover.

The sinuses take anywhere from 8-12 weeks to resume normal functioning. It is a gradual, day-by-day that they get feeling better. Just know that it is NOT cure all. You are looking for improvement and not perfection. Things don't get better instantly.

If you trust your surgeon and have good communication, things should work out well.

Everyone heals differently.

Thanks for answering! It sounds like you had a ton of stuff done and since it was a 6 hour surgery... all i can say is WOW. Oh and i was wondering... how long did you have to stay in the hospital?? And did it give you the feeling of suffucating when you couldn't breathe through your nose?? Im afraid it could bring on an asthma attack for me, as if i have to breathe through my mouth or nose alone i dont get enough air with my asthma. Thanks again!

Old 10-22-2010, 03:28 PM   #12
(female)

Frenzied HB User

My surgery was done at an ambulatory surgery center. I checked in at 6:30 a.m., paperwork everything signed. IV put in. Was in the O.R. by 7:30 and the surgery went until 1:30. Came out of anesthesia at around 2:30 or so and was able to go home by 4:30, where I went right to bed and slept and slept and slept! Kept the room dark, had fans going and head propped up on 3 pillows. My husband came in about every 4 hours to feed me some vicodin,phenergan and Keflex ( antibiotic). I drank tons of slushy/ icee type of drinks and mashed potatoes seemed to help.

As for the not breathing through the nose, I had severely impaired breathing to begin with, so it wasn't too bad while I was sleeping. There were a few days that weren't too much fun. You might ask your Dr. about giving you something to sleep or keep relaxed like xanax, if you are worried about a panic or anxiety attack.

Whatever you think the surgery is going to be like, it is usually not what you think. I had it all in my mind what recovery was going to be like, and it wasn't quite what I thought, some things were harder, other things not so bad.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #13
(female)

Smile Re: Sinus surgery packing and other scares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzied View Post
My surgery was done at an ambulatory surgery center. I checked in at 6:30 a.m., paperwork everything signed. IV put in. Was in the O.R. by 7:30 and the surgery went until 1:30. Came out of anesthesia at around 2:30 or so and was able to go home by 4:30, where I went right to bed and slept and slept and slept! Kept the room dark, had fans going and head propped up on 3 pillows. My husband came in about every 4 hours to feed me some vicodin,phenergan and Keflex ( antibiotic). I drank tons of slushy/ icee type of drinks and mashed potatoes seemed to help.

As for the not breathing through the nose, I had severely impaired breathing to begin with, so it wasn't too bad while I was sleeping. There were a few days that weren't too much fun. You might ask your Dr. about giving you something to sleep or keep relaxed like xanax, if you are worried about a panic or anxiety attack.

Whatever you think the surgery is going to be like, it is usually not what you think. I had it all in my mind what recovery was going to be like, and it wasn't quite what I thought, some things were harder, other things not so bad.
Thank you so much for your answers. The are very helpful.
I forgot to mention that i have double vision... If you dont mind could you check out this post??
http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=818861&highlight=double +vision+relative+to

Closed Thread